Blood meal in water?

Johnny Crack

Hi, I recently set up my first grow and purchased some Jobes organic blood meal for my ladies. The package says to use when you transplant so you put the granular fertilizer under the plant. I would prefer to dissolve the blood meal in water and feed them through watering. Can somebody let me know if that is possible and how to do it?

Hi, I recently set up my first grow and purchased some Jobes organic blood meal for my ladies. The package says to use when you transplant so you put the granular fertilizer under the plant. I would prefer to dissolve the blood meal in water and feed them through watering. Can somebody let me know if that is possible and how to do it?
It will work for veg. However you will need some P and K . Helps with branching and such.
also, it is 12-0-0 I would like to know if that will work for veg or if the plant needs a little bit of phosphate and potash as well

I do it for emergencies but you have to 1.) let the mix sit for a day or so and 2.) keep the solution constantly agitating while you feed or some of the nutes will settle out. I would be careful transplanting into a hole with pure bloodmeal at the bottom. It's pretty hot stuff and you might get some nute burn. I find mixing in my dry nutes with the top 1" or so of soil in a pot and then watering a much more efficient method for feeding.

I do it for emergencies but you have to 1.) let the mix sit for a day or so and 2.) keep the solution constantly agitating while you feed or some of the nutes will settle out.
Yep. The constant stirring or shaking of the container so the solids stay in suspension while pouring.

I started wondering how long it would take the blood meal to dissolve so I did a quick google search using the keywords:
will blood meal dissolve in water

and it seems it is not recommended except for those with the patience to experiment.

If a blood meal tea is wanted the recommendation is to use a product that has been processed enough that it is listed on the label as "water soluble". Other wise the blood meal in water can get messy and might start to smell. Plus patience as some say it can take more than several days.

Surely just get the right stuff for what you're trying to do?
Granules are for soil/top dressing, if you want liquid feed buy some, no?
It probably works, but it can't be ideal as granules are designed to break down slowly in soil whereas liquid nutes are in a readily available form and probably a slightly different compound

Yep. The constant stirring or shaking of the container so the solids stay in suspension while pouring.

I started wondering how long it would take the blood meal to dissolve so I did a quick google search using the keywords:
will blood meal dissolve in water

and it seems it is not recommended except for those with the patience to experiment.

If a blood meal tea is wanted the recommendation is to use a product that has been processed enough that it is listed on the label as "water soluble". Other wise the blood meal in water can get messy and might start to smell. Plus patience as some say it can take more than several days.
Oh yeah...it'll smell worse than any dead thing I've ever encountered.

Back
Top Bottom