Harvestright freeze dryer for weed? Done and cured in a day!

fanleaf

Hey guys. I can only find a few guys online who have had access to the right equipment to try this and those few who do have said that freeze drying their bud is not only done in a day but preserves and makes the terpenes just crazy strong. They say that not only that but the bud breaks up perfectly, retains it's fresh cut colors and is the only way to go. The articles I can find are several years old.

Now, I do own a $3200 freeze dryer and love what it does to my food. I make MRE's from left overs several times a week.
Has any of you ever done this with a good freeze dryer??? I'm getting ready for a large harvest in a few weeks and am thinking of putting a few ounces in there to try. I'm curious if any of you have actually done this yourself? I would love your input.
I know
Ed Rosenthal recomends freeze drying.

420-magazine-mobile1226962834.jpg

Well, I tried it. What I will say is that I will be doing it again for sure. While it's dried to the right amount the colors and the smell are still just like when I chopped it down. So far it's very promising. I even made a short video of the result.

fanleaf, I started a new thread yesterday dedicated to drying low and slow in a fridge. I'd love to have you join the conversation over there. I wasn't aware of this thread until just now.

DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Thank you so much for this. If I had the money I'd be buying that equipment. :laughtwo:

I have wondered how this would work!!! Did you sample it immediately after? Just curious how smooth (or not) it was. Please keep us updated. I don't have the money to invest to test. If it works well, it might be worth saving for. :circle-of-love::peace:

Dry it in the refrigerator Dave. Same results just takes a couple weeks. Join us at the thread. It'll change the way you dry. I'd love to buy one of those machines. Think of the way it'll change your life. I may start a fund. :laughtwo:

I was always under the impression that trichome glands burst when put in the freezer, am I mistaken or is this more of a cryogenic instant type freezer? It looks fantastic and I would love one of those. Thanks to Sue for showing me an item that I need on my wishlist, probably 10 years of birthday and Christmas presents saved kind of thing though :rofl:

I was always under the impression that trichome glands burst when put in the freezer, am I mistaken or is this more of a cryogenic instant type freezer? It looks fantastic and I would love one of those. Thanks to Sue for showing me an item that I need on my wishlist, probably 10 years of birthday and Christmas presents saved kind of thing though :rofl:

They get brittle and break off easier. That is why we freeze both the bud and the alcohol (solvent) when making CCO. The frozen trichomes break off in the solvent. :circle-of-love::peace:

Just wondering if dipping buds into Liquid Nitrogen would have the same effect, it sure would be a super cheap option. :Namaste:

Just wondering if dipping buds into Liquid Nitrogen would have the same effect, it sure would be a super cheap option. :Namaste:

Interesting question qaza. Hadn't considered anything that extreme. Do you know if there would be any residue from liquid nitrogen?

if i can find one now im thinking of buying one, that would be perfect for my rotational growing instead of waiting a week or 2 to free a tent up.

i dont like the prices!

I don't like the prices either, but by God, I want one. :laughtwo:

Hi Sue.
Considering most if not all of I am pretty sure the frozen veg we eat are snap frozen this way ( I could be wrong) but I do know for sure the L/N just dissipates there is nothing to leave behind.

I will give it a go when I get my next harvest, should be 4 weeks away though looking very doubtful atm 4 Black Cream Auto's.

[FONT=&quot]Added: how this would work for us will have to be investigated, now I am interested.

Food can also be frozen cryogenically. In this method, the outer layers of the food are taken to far below their actual freezing point by passing quickly through a tunnel cooled by liquid nitrogen to as low as -80- -120° F (-62.2- -84.4° C). After the food exits the cryogenic tunnel, heat from the core of the food permeates to the outside, resulting in a final stable frozen state. Some products also use an immersion method. For foods with a viscous sauce or sticky surface, the surface might be immersed in an ultra-cooled liquid for only a few seconds, and then the food can be frozen by air-blasting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Read more: How frozen vegetable is made - production process, making, used, processing, product, industry, machine[/FONT]

the colors and the smell are still just like when I chopped it down.

That's because you skipped the whole curing thing (why would you want to do that, lol?) - meaning that, yes, it's still the same color it was to begin with because the chlorophyll didn't get converted to sugars and, yes, it still tastes like freshly-dried bud instead of something nice (IOW, cured ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom