Is pollinating feminized seeds worth it?

northernmed

How viable is making your own seeds?

Say for example i got an original skunk from crop king, and i bred it with some feminized seeds i got. in this case a lemonaid free seed, and a jack herer from greenhouse seeds.

any use in this? or is there too much uncertainty? I.e. they might be f1's or something, or have unstable genetics, etc.

I will do this regardless, and then grow out the seeds to see how similar to the parent they are. but just want to hear opinions. :high-five:

I've always wondered the same thing and could never really get a straight answer. I I am new to growing and I've been wondering the same thing, can I take a male from regular seeds and cross pollinate it with females from feminized seeds? By the way, what's up to everyone at 420 magazine, this is my very first post on this forum.

I got tired of getting the seeds and gave up after 2500 and threw the rest out. Heres the result.
420-magazine-mobile399074310.jpg

Those are now exact genetic copies of Sweet Seeds Dark Devil autoflower.. I even germinated 7 of them to be sure they were viable and all 7 germinated and had taproot within 30 hours on wet paper towell.

I've always wondered the same thing and could never really get a straight answer. I I am new to growing and I've been wondering the same thing, can I take a male from regular seeds and cross pollinate it with females from feminized seeds? By the way, what's up to everyone at 420 magazine, this is my very first post on this forum.
Yes, you can but you will have a very unstable strain. 1 seed may carry the autoflower trait and the next one wont. 1 may show totally different growing characteristics than either of the parents or the other seeds. Breeding the way you are talking you have to do it for several generations to get the strain stable by picking and choosing the traits that carry on from one batch to the next until it becomes stable.

I like to use colloidal silver that way I can start as many plants as I want and then pick the best one or two out of those and make them plants breed themselves so I get 100% feminized seeds that will carry the trait or the exact genetic makeup of the parent

I like to use colloidal silver that way I can start as many plants as I want and then pick the best one or two out of those and make them plants breed themselves so I get 100% feminized seeds that will carry the trait or the exact genetic makeup of the parent

When you say breed themselves do you mean self pollinate through hermaphroditism or do you clone it and breed the hermaphrodite with the female?

It isnt hermie. If done with silver as shown in the video you are simply suppressing the female hormone on a branch. The video link will explain it. It is self pollinated yes...Any type of hermie....absolutely not.

I watched the videos it seems pretty interesting. There is another method used where you can soak the seeds with a particular liquid can't remember the same, you can make a organic version soaking the seeds with apples and banana's?
I've still read a few conflicting reports about using colloidal silver, some say it can cause a hermie trait in the seeds and others swear by it.
I'd like to wait and see how your seeds grow, can't argue with photographic proof.
Have you grown any seeds that you got using this method yet?

I watched the videos it seems pretty interesting. There is another method used where you can soak the seeds with a particular liquid can't remember the same, you can make a organic version soaking the seeds with apples and banana's?
I've still read a few conflicting reports about using colloidal silver, some say it can cause a hermie trait in the seeds and others swear by it.
I'd like to wait and see how your seeds grow, can't argue with photographic proof.
Have you grown any seeds that you got using this method yet?
Yes. I have. As a matter of fact 6 more of them just showed taproot today. 7 yesterday lol. Hermie has nothing to do with CS. People who say it are just repeating what they hear. You are simply suppressing the female hormone in that branch. Silver blocks the female hormone. If a female hormone is absent the plant grows as male. Hermie is different. The solution you speak of just tries to make seeds female if Im not mistaking. You would still need a male to pollinate with. Doing that you get F1 seeds and every seed in that batch can be different as they grow. They will individually show traits of the father or the mother or both and every seed can grow differently. Using colloidal silver and only one single female plant you are making perfect genetic clones of the mother plant that you like.

Hey Fanleaf,
Man I really appreciate the reply. I had read a article Jorge Cervantes wrote on this subject, he basically explained it the same way you just did. Thank you for the reply once again.

Yes. I have. As a matter of fact 6 more of them just showed taproot today. 7 yesterday lol. Hermie has nothing to do with CS. People who say it are just repeating what they hear. You are simply suppressing the female hormone in that branch. Silver blocks the female hormone. If a female hormone is absent the plant grows as male. Hermie is different. The solution you speak of just tries to make seeds female if Im not mistaking. You would still need a male to pollinate with. Doing that you get F1 seeds and every seed in that batch can be different as they grow. They will individually show traits of the father or the mother or both and every seed can grow differently. Using colloidal silver and only one single female plant you are making perfect genetic clones of the mother plant that you like.

Yup, and in the case of F1 hybrids, the resulting seeds would end up looking like either the mother or father, and none like the F1 hybrid. So I got Panama x Malawi for example, it's an F1 hybrid, but if I tried to pollinate the females with the males from it, I'll end up with 75% of the crop like Panama, and 25% of it like Malawi. However, if I selfed it like you're saying, I'll get S1 Panama x Malawi that is like the F1 hybrid, but no longer an F1 hybrid. It's actually a pretty good way to stabilize selective traits in new strains. That's pretty cool because a lot of seedbanks release F1 hybrids, because 1) They have "Hybrid vigor" and 2) They know people can't reproduce them simply by open pollination.

I myself am trying to feminize some Blackberry Kush in order to preserve the strain in seed form rather than have to keep clones/mothers of it around.

So yeah I'd say feminizing seeds is definitely worth it. If not for female seeds, but for breeding purposes.

Back
Top Bottom