CapnKronik

I have three plants growing right now in my Hydroponic system. I have two Quick Bud AF seeds and a White Widow XXL AF, all three were started at the same time. Two of the plants, the WW and one of the QB are clearly sick. When looking at them under the growlight, (LED 240W) you can see spotting on the leaves of the WW. You can also see yellowing of all leaves on the QB(started at the bottom.)

My other QB? Is massive and very healthy minus some spotting on the lowest set of leaves. The plants are all 4 weeks old. Each of my plants is showing something different. So I'm truly lost. As a rookie it's a bit overwhelming to see my plants so sick.

Currently the only nutes I'm using is a 1-0-4 from Advanced Nutrients (I don't think this is correct. I think I need more Nitrogen.) I used them half strength at two weeks and did a full water change a few days ago, adding the nutes at the recommended strength. My light cycle is 23-1 to allow them some rest but maximize photosynthesis. And I keep my PH at 5.5-6. I check daily.

I've used 20℅ strength nute mixture for foliar feeding and even raised my light to 24 inches above the plants. The grow is a 3x3x6 mylar grow tent with two 6" inline fans. One for inflow, one for out. I use an air stone and air pump along with lava rock and Rockwool as my medium. I had an algae problem to begin with but quickly cut off light and it died off. There is no more algea to be seen.

So recap on the issues,

The auto white widow XXL:
spotting(yellow) by the tips of the leaves. New growth is yellowing near the stem.

Quick Bud:
New growth is yellowing, leaf TIPS curling down, very slow growth compared to the other QB plant.

(I'm so confused because other than minimal spotting on the lowest oldest leaves, it is bigger, fuller, stronger, and greener than the others.)

Should I just do a water change with some pH balanced water? No nutes? Someone please offer the boot some advice. Many thanks to you all

Hey Capn K -- Sorry to hear you're having problems. Do I understand you correctly that your plants have received nothing but 1-0-4 for four weeks? If so, that right there is a big problem. That would mean that your plants have not had any phosphorous (the "P" in 1-0-4, N-P-K) in their entire lives). So the first step would be get them on a balanced diet. If you want to stay with the Advanced Nutrients brand, then Grow + Micro + Bloom. I think you would want to do that immediately.

(It's a three-bottle system, and it looks like you have been using only the Grow.)

Good luck and have fun!

I thought about that. Could the lack of P be causing the discoloration? I have a bottle of 1-3-4 as well would mixing a little of that. I actually made the embarrassing mistake of not reading the entire set of directions (rookie mistakes smh). I thought bloom was only for the flowering stage. Didn't realize all three of them were to be used at once. Thank you SO much for the info! You may have just saved my crop

> Could the lack of P be causing the discoloration?
Phosphorous is such a key nutrient that a lack of it is going to affect everything--even DNA and basic cell metabolism.
> I have a bottle of 1-3-4 as well would mixing a little of that.
You really have to use all three, and in the exact ratios they tell you to (though not necessarily at the same concentration--I mix mine half strength).

If you have the 1-3-4 too, it looks like you have both Grow and Bloom. If that's the case, just get a bottle of Micro for the micronutrients and you have all three and ready to go.

The whole three bottle deal kind of seemed like overkill to me at first--they could just have one bottle--but the cool and powerful thing about hydroponics and separate nutrient mixes is that you can mix the exactly right combination of nutrients for each stage in the plant's life, which can work like rocket fuel if you get it right. And like poison if you don't, and that includes getting the pH just right (about 5.8). Be sure to make careful measurements and really calibrate your pH meter if you use one (and you should). A PPM meter is cheap and a huge help too. You really should have both.

It looks like the AN "Perfect" series has some kind of advanced buffering going on since they say you don't need to track and adjust pH. That would be cool if it works, but I'd still check...

Getting started with hydroponics has a big PITA factor, but once you get used to all the mixing and monitoring, it's pretty straightforward.

But ya gotta get the fundamentals right (which includes not spacing out in the middle of making up a batch like I did a couple of weeks ago--"Did I just add 2.5 ml or 5 ml?"=pour it all down the drain and start over.

If all else fails, I'm always reminded that there are a lot of people out there growing killer crops with nuthin' but dirt... ;)

Good luck!

> I have a bottle of 1-3-4 as well would mixing a little of that.
I got to thinking about this, and yes, by all means, until you get the third bottle (the Micro) you can still get some phosphorous in there just by adding some of the Bloom. Check your recommended dosing schedule, but when I look at AN's info, it looks like they have you add Grow, Bloom, and Micro in a 1 to 1 to 1 ratio, so until you get some Micro you could at least put in an equal amount of Bloom with what you're adding for Grow.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that because you haven't been using the Micro, you probably have deficiencies in all you micronutrients as will--managnese, boron, copper, cobalt... If you have time, you should really get this problem fixed immediately since your plants are definitely not getting their Wheaties...

OK, done obsessing about your grow now. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Thank you VERY much, I ordered the third bottle of nutes (micro) and measure up and added the appropriate bloom nutes. I also mixed up a bottle of 20℅ strength nutes to foliar feeding them and already there is a HUGE improvement! Just 12 hours after adding the new growth has returned to a lush green and the leaves are standing proud. I will make sure to get the micro in as soon as I can.

I mixed up a batch of nutes and added them as directed and there is a massive improvement already. Once I have the third bottle I will be well on my way to some great herb. And from where I'm sitting 4 weeks into my grow, the nutes when done correctly really do keep the PH between 5.5 and 6.0 I have a test kit but no pen sadly. Couldn't afford it just yet. I have the chemicals to raise and lower the PH as well. It seems the only thing I didn't have was the Micro nutes! Thanks again for the advice, my babies and I thank you a thousand times!!!!

the leaves are standing proud.
I love it when they do that. Happy plant! :thumb:

I have a test kit but no pen sadly.

A test pen is a wonderful thing IF it is carefully maintained and accurately calibrated. I think way too often people don't realize that the magic numbers the pen is giving them are way off because their pen is out of calibration. Test kits don't require any maintenance, just a good eye for detecting differences in shades of yellow/orange (something that I don't seem to have, unfortunately).

I'm glad your grow is back on track! :)

Back
Top Bottom