How hot is too hot?

Dperry9

So I built a grow box a couple days ago while waiting for my seed to germinate and there was a delay in my grow lights getting here. Now the seed is more then ready to be planted. So I went to my local mall (small town only one for hundreds of kilometers) and picked up you a couple 16 watt led lights just to get the plant by. I planted the seed and hooked up the lights just using a socket and extension cord. Now here's my problem I noticed that the bulb it self doesn't get overly hot (which I like) but the base of the bulb and the socket is hot to touch I was wondering if this is normal or do it pose a fire hazard? Would love any input as fast as I could get it as my girl is ready for light thank :)Not worried about temperature of plant as I have ventilation just worried about temp of socket and bulb

Not worried about temperature of plant as I have ventilation just worried about temp of socket and bulb
What's current/wattage/voltage of the equipment you're worried about? Also brand name. Most wire types used nowadays have at least a 70c temp rating. Many have higher such as 90c

It's only two 16 watt 120 volts 168MA led bulbs and a one to two socket Y peice that's rated for 250 v or 6600 wats

It's only two 16 watt 120 volts 168MA led bulbs and a one to two socket Y peice that's rated for 250 v or 6600 wats
Leds run hot I wouldn't worry. The only thing that would concern me are those y sockets if they are the cheap Chinese shit they sell at home depot. But even at that, most of the heat is going to be generated in the base of that bulb on the low voltage side of the LED. They just run hot.

they can run extremely hot. connecting two close together is going to produce an even hotter hot spot in there somewhere. just saying it is indeed a concern,, in any closed confined space, less than optimal electrical or lighting related issues is a concern

never to be taken lightly

they can run extremely hot. connecting two close together is going to produce an even hotter hot spot in there somewhere. just saying it is indeed a concern,, in any closed confined space, less than optimal electrical or lighting related issues is a concern

never to be taken lightly
He said he has ventilation. How is that confined space? Also If you have any led replacement bulbs in your house, id encourage you to unscrew one and pull it down. You will burn your hand. They run hot where the driver is. I'm an electrician. I've installed and replaced hundreds of these bulbs and they're fine. Don't give out information if you don't know what you're talking about.

He said he has ventilation. How is that confined space? Also If you have any led replacement bulbs in your house, id encourage you to unscrew one and pull it down. You will burn your hand. They run hot where the driver is. I'm an electrician. I've installed and replaced hundreds of these bulbs and they're fine. Don't give out information if you don't know what you're talking about.

i'd like to tell you to stick it up yer butt but i am too nice for that.

you are the reason that folks get themselves in trouble with things they know nothing about.

your free advice gets folks killed.

goof

you may be an electrician,, good for you,, but you are not a responsible one, indeed

i'd like to tell you to stick it up yer butt but i am too nice for that.

you are the reason that folks get themselves in trouble with things they know nothing about.

your free advice gets folks killed.

goof

you may be an electrician,, good for you,, but you are not a responsible one, indeed
Says the idiot who started an electrical advice thread. What do you do sit at a desk for 40 hours a week then turn into a DIYer on the weekends? I've seen your mess of an electrical system for your grow on that thread. What is funny to me is you used those same Y connectors that the OP is talking about here with CFL (higher power draw than LED) mounted to WOOD. What happens if that arcs? You sir are a hack and should focus on punching keys on your computer, not giving advice on things you clearly know nothing about.

FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTER. I apologize for doing this on your thread, but unlike dickhead nivek who likes to spew useless shit information wherever he goes on here, I actually do want to help. Here's the deal, LED produces alot of heat. You can see this with the big panels as they all have fans and heatsinks. Those are also all 100w+ fixtures. When talking about the smaller 16w bulbs, I honestly believe you are fine with two of those in your tent. If heat was a serious issue with them, they would not be on sale in every home depot. They do get hot, but the light is designed to handle it. Like I said however, those y connectors are cheap as can be. If you are still worried, go to a supply house and get an American made ceramic or hdpe socket splitter and you can sleep easy. Sorry again for arguing on your thread. 8 years in the trade, 4 years licensed and people still think they can get better info from YouTube. Smh.

Want have better results with LED bulbs try removing those pesky reflectors ...:)
Led_conversion.jpg

Then make a contraption like this (under $30 not including Bulbs!)
I use it to augment my LED 450w reflectors (side lighting)

light52.jpg

I think it is important to look at the big picture,, so easy not to.

As I suggested,, hot lights are ' an issue '

Hot electrical items, placed too close to combustable materials, are the number one cause of house fires in North America today. As in causing seventy to eighty percent of house fires, and if not that many, then a messa

If you were to have a fire because of your grow setup, well, your insurance, your landlords insurance, perhaps even dons insurance would be invalid.

Oh, but thats the good part,, because perhaps you might be toasted, or your family, or the family next door which just might happen to be me

But don't worry, buddy says you will be fine, no worries then

Cheers

So I built a grow box a couple days ago while waiting for my seed to germinate and there was a delay in my grow lights getting here. Now the seed is more then ready to be planted. So I went to my local mall (small town only one for hundreds of kilometers) and picked up you a couple 16 watt led lights just to get the plant by. I planted the seed and hooked up the lights just using a socket and extension cord. Now here's my problem I noticed that the bulb it self doesn't get overly hot (which I like) but the base of the bulb and the socket is hot to touch I was wondering if this is normal or do it pose a fire hazard? Would love any input as fast as I could get it as my girl is ready for light thank :)Not worried about temperature of plant as I have ventilation just worried about temp of socket and bulb

Hey bro I'm currently using the same light set up. I'm on a timer of 18/6 and I have no problems. They usually are hot by socket!

I think it is important to look at the big picture,, so easy not to.

As I suggested,, hot lights are ' an issue '

Hot electrical items, placed too close to combustable materials, are the number one cause of house fires in North America today. As in causing seventy to eighty percent of house fires, and if not that many, then a messa

If you were to have a fire because of your grow setup, well, your insurance, your landlords insurance, perhaps even dons insurance would be invalid.

Oh, but thats the good part,, because perhaps you might be toasted, or your family, or the family next door which just might happen to be me

But don't worry, buddy says you will be fine, no worries then

Cheers
Lmao it's a 16w led get over yourself. Funny you said nothing about the poster who had about 10 of them with the lens removed attached to a wooden board. Get a life man.

It's all good every one house didn't burn down first seedling never took of planted another one 4 days ago and it's all ready taken off will post a photo after work

Back
Top Bottom