A question about pollination for seed production

I have to face facts. I'm dirt poor. I need to grow a few medical marijuana plants to help offset medical issues I have suffered with for years. And I need to grow my own seeds as they are, for me, too expensive to buy.

I have been studying (on this site) about using a hormone blocking Mineral Spray on just one branch of a feminized female automatic plant and when the branch produces pollen rich sacks you sprinkle it on the rest of the plant (or select parts) which will produce female seeds.

I am wondering what the results would be of taking pollen from a male plant (different strain) grown from a regular seed and pollinating a feminized female auto flowering plant when it goes to flower. Could you expect 25% of the seeds to be auto flower females?

Would all the seeds be feminized with that pollination scenario?

I am learning so much from this site and the more I learn the more I want to know.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to my thread.

I dont know about pollenation, so hopefuly an expert will stop by. I do know about medical needs and being poor. Is this your first time growing? If so, you may want to get to know the plant first. Get some cheap CFLs and a bagseed. If its a female, take some clones and get more CFLs. Theyre the cheapest lights you can find, are cheap to run and while you wont get huge yields, you can get good quality and also get to know the plant.

I dont know about pollenation, so hopefuly an expert will stop by. I do know about medical needs and being poor. Is this your first time growing? If so, you may want to get to know the plant first. Get some cheap CFLs and a bagseed. If its a female, take some clones and get more CFLs. Theyre the cheapest lights you can find, are cheap to run and while you wont get huge yields, you can get good quality and also get to know the plant.

Being over 60 I don't know anyone who smokes and might have a bag seed available. I currently have 1 itty bitty bag seed plant growing from a seed my buddy "borrowed" from his grandson's stash. If I have luck with that I'll be happy.

Yeah, but all you really need to know is in the 1st few pages...Just trying to help.:)

Yeah, but all you really need to know is in the 1st few pages...Just trying to help.:)

I read about the first 10 or 12 pages. Reminded me of a summer camp reunion movie with everyone showing up one here and one there. Unfortunately the plot of making seeds seemed to be on the back burner.

I have an auto flower plant that has been in flower for about 2 weeks. When I first noticed it starting to flower I began spraying (actually brushing on) the feminizing spray on one of the branches. I actually applied the spray this morning but failed to notice the female pollen sacks growing on the branch. Now how cool is that? I think it will be a challenge to pollinate just the one branch that has the pollen sacks. It has been suggested that I put a long plastic bag over the whole branch once the sacks are ready to drop their pollen and shake the heck out of the branch. Again, I just don't want it flying everywhere.

Another learning experience

Can you spot the little pollen sacks?
0013513.jpg

I have to face facts. I'm dirt poor. I need to grow a few medical marijuana plants to help offset medical issues I have suffered with for years. And I need to grow my own seeds as they are, for me, too expensive to buy.

I have been studying (on this site) about using a hormone blocking Mineral Spray on just one branch of a feminized female automatic plant and when the branch produces pollen rich sacks you sprinkle it on the rest of the plant (or select parts) which will produce female seeds.

I am wondering what the results would be of taking pollen from a male plant (different strain) grown from a regular seed and pollinating a feminized female auto flowering plant when it goes to flower. Could you expect 25% of the seeds to be auto flower females?

Would all the seeds be feminized with that pollination scenario?

I am learning so much from this site and the more I learn the more I want to know.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to my thread.
You propose using pollen from an ordinary male plant, to pollinate an autoflower plant. The resulting seeds, when sown, will result in a group of plants, half of which will be male and half female.

To make feminized seeds (which when sown produce only female plants), you need to use "feminized pollen". You make feminized pollen by repeatedly spraying an ordinary female plant, as it approaches its flowering stage, with very dilute silver thiosulfate solution (which you can make at home from silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate). What is your next question?

Mentioned above, but probably best to clone your regular seed plant to start with. Get a few clones going from the regular plant (not the auto). It's free and will give you more to work with.

To then make seeds:

Take one of the clones, a week before you turn it to flower, and spray liberally with STS (formula online). Spray the whole plant as you shouldn't consume any plant sprayed with the chemicals anyway. Spray again 5 days later and you can then switch it to flower light cycle (12/12). Keep spraying every 5 days until you see pollen sacs start to form. (Probably after the 2nd post flower spray you'll see them). Pollen can take about 7 weeks of flower to mature.

Keep taking clones from the other clones (or make a mother plant) so that you have other plants to work with. After the sprayed pant shows pollen sacs for a couple of weeks put one of the other clones into flower (12/12). In three or four weeks that plant will have flower hairs which you can brush the pollen from your STS plant on to, to make feminized seeds. You'll have a lot of seeds (100+)

By cloning if you like the plant you have, you could even skip making seeds and just keep cloning it.

By the way are you in Canada?

The offsprings genetics would be deteriorated and the high get worse ,I've just read about it recently,I had a similar idea and my were crushed,feminized works fine , ruderalus genetics in auto flower is to blame,have you tried purchasing pollen,idk if that's a thing or not,

Back
Top Bottom