First grow 2x8 Ball Kush - Need some advice and opinions please!

Hypopotodog

420 Member
I C&P'd this from my post on 'introduce yourself' because I thought it would probably get more exposure in this forum!

Hello people just signed up today and super excited to mix with you all and learn some more!

Basically I'm posting because I'd like reviews of my current set up so that I can improve it as much as possible. I will post some piccies at the bottom of this post for you all to see. It's a closet grow in a pretty tight but tall space, and I'm currently using a Viparspectra LED 450W light along with 4x 40W cfl bulbs to light up the space. My plants were started in small pots in organic compost and have both now been moved into their final pots for the rest of my grow. My 2 week old plant is in a pot made up of 2/3 organic compost 1/3 horticultural grit (using as a substitute for perlite to improve drainage and oxygen flow) and seems pretty happy at the moment with no signs of problems to my knowledge. My second plant has just been moved into her final pot made up of 2/4 organic compost 1/4 horse manure compost (from local farmer) and 1/4 horticultural grit. Adding the portion of manure compost was just an experimental idea of mine at the time. Let me know if you think it was a good one or not!

I have many questions but will try to narrow them down...

I started with 4 seeds of this strain, 1 germinated and sprouted but never got any further and the other rotted after i planted it. I'm not dissapointed with this at all because its just a learning process at the end of the day. However my 2 remaining girls seem to be happy at the moment so thats good!
First major question: My 1.5 week old plant seems to have a couple wavy leaves (see the photos below). They are sort of zig zagging and i cant find any solid diagnosis for this anywhere, as its quite hard to describe. Let me know what you think it is!
Second question: What do you think of my set up? Is my lighting ok? is it overkill? i have a small 14W grow LED panel that is lying about that i could also install as a supplement red light emitter to go with the viparspectra and cfl's. The more light the better or? I will be installing a fan very soon to strengthen my plants.
The average temperature in there with the door shut is around 23 degrees celcius. However everyday i open the window and closet door to allow fresh air into the room. This brings the temperature down to about 21. humidity in my closet sits firmly at 40% but i have recently been spraying the air inside with water until my humidity meter reads 60%. I water with rain water and adjust ph to around 6. Just let me know what you think I could add for improvements :)
Third question: I have the general hydroponics trio ready to use when necessary. When do you guys think that will be judging by what i have potted my plants in? do you think it will be about a month till i need to top up my nutrients ?
Like I said I have loads of questions but I'll leave it there for now, don't want to be overwhelming. Pretty much just after some guidance! Don't hold back from being brutal either, if there's something very wrong with my set up I need to fix it immediately!
Thanks in advance!

thumbnail_IMG_20170516_115020.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170516_115011.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170516_115007.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170516_114943.jpg

Hello looking nice. Lift thermometer off floor put on top of media or attach somehow to back wall at height where canopy will be when you flip cycle. i Wouldn't worry about ragged leaves unless it was something eating them. Yes an oscillating fan is a must preferably at canopy height. i put mine on a shelf that i can adjust to 3 different levels.
SAM_55861.JPG
you can just see it top left corner of pic. this also frees up floor space and i have my weather station sitting on base of fan. Hope this is helpful. regards

Thanks for the reply! Okay I'll build a small shelf inside for the thermometer... As for the fan I think the only place i could fit in in would be screwed to the wall up high facing downwards? Oh okay my plant definitely doesnt have any pests so ill stop worrying about that leaf, I thought it might have been a ph problem or something...
Yo do you think I should install my small 14w led grow light just for extra light ontop of what ive already got? It emits red light which is currently lacking abit from my current system although I know red light is needed more during flowering...

Looking good i gotta agree with the above poster you got it pretty much under control only thing i can think is the cfls probably aren't doing much or really that necessary this early on, generally they are used when the plants get bigger and they are positioned low too help give the lower parts of the plant some extra light. And i can't really say how long till you need nutes because I've never mixed my own soil but some of the best advice i ever got was just listen to your girls, they'll tell you when their ready. Happy growing!

That fungi is very cool I must admit ;) thanks for your inputs guys good to know I'm on track and I'll put your tips to use :) also thanks for the advice on the nutes, I'll wait until they tell me they need it! Looking forward to participating in these forums more often they are such a great resource! Got 4x northern light autos and 1 mystery seed coming in the post very soon, and they will be going in my green house. It's perhaps a little late in the may month for outdoor growing in the UK but I'll bank on the green house and typical (yet odd) warm autumns we get here. Roll on some smelly organic welsh bud :)
Cheers

Hey improvise! Sorry about this late reply. My grow has been okay as far as I know apart from over the past 2 weeks ive noticed some serious yellowing in my leaves. Also, the tips of the serrated edges of the leaves are brown. Any ideas what this is exactly? nutrient burn or deficiency? see photos for reference :) I will begin flowering stage this weekend. Do you think i should take off the lower fan leaves now? especially the unhealthy looking ones. I also topped a few of the sprouts at the top of the branches, going on advice about this encouraging two heads growing. so far not much recovery growth but hoping this happens when i switch to flower. let me know what you think. thanks in advance!

IMG_20170616_195104.jpg
IMG_20170616_195058.jpg
IMG_20170616_195045.jpg
IMG_20170616_195039.jpg
IMG_20170616_195035.jpg
IMG_20170616_195029.jpg
IMG_20170616_195025.jpg
IMG_20170616_195016.jpg

Nice update cheers. Tips of leaves i would lean towards nute burn ease up with feeding if any. bottom leaves no worries i would take a few fan leaves off this will introduce light to any bud sites below. topping out will make the growth below go mental lol. I notice from pics theres something else going on here with those leaves with holes in looks bit like something munching on them,can u post pic a closer shot of one. if not a bug it might be nute deficiency/lockout. Nice job with the topping. regards

They have had absolutely no extra nutrients than whats already in the compost, so maybe what they are in is just too strong! okay, ill start pruning soon :) yesssss what i believe that is, is where they were outside in the rain for a couple hours (had to move them temporarily) and I think the sun burnt those holes through droplets of water! since then no holes more have developed so I dont think it was pests...
It's a shame i cant really use my cfl's anymore, there just isnt enough room. The plants touch the bulb and leaves just crisp up! going to have to work something out for the flowering stage....
How about yourself? didn't you have an ongoing grow? how's that going? would love to know!

Yeh space is always at a premium. Flower stage they will stretch as well. meself yeh got 8 plants jst put into flower 5 days ago, 2 each of Dr Krippling -- Incredible bulk,Kripple shock,Dehli friend and Puff puff pass out(aka Dum Marro Dum). also got 3 Blackberry autos,3 cash crop autos,3 Euforia autos and today i have started germinating 5 berry ryder autos. Me last harvest was 3 Night Queen and 5 Blueberry which were clones i grew them out and now intend to jst stick with popping seeds and autos for fill ins if you like,always got something cooking lol. every grow we are all getting greener. regards

Fantastic mate sounds awesome. I like the idea of how you are going to have many harvests throughout this year, with 5 berry ryders going in now for a later harvest! good way to keep stocks up and stay active! I went through some of your photos and I must admit the buds you are producing look super tasty. Hats off!
So I was thinking about germinating some autos for an experimental outdoor grow. Now out of 5 seeds I had for this closet grow only 2 came up. I noticed 1 was definitely rotten but im not so sure about the others. one germinated nicely then never made it through the soil.
Would like to know what I can do to increase my success rate - from germination method to potting. I currently use the paper towel method. Should i pop the germinated seed into moist compost and not water initially it to reduce the chance of rot?

cheers for the compliments.hey wish i could give you a definitive way of germinating. i do the same as you. i put em in an egg cup with rain water for 24hours,put between well moistened paper sheets put them somewhere room temperature, keep an eye on them for splitting and root showing i like to let root grow 0.5cm during this time keep moist at all times then plant in pre-watered hole 1cm, cover lightly and put a humidity dome over seed site and hope it breaks through without any sign of seed husk that's ideally like. I find it hit and miss with seed germination overall.I like the seed company's that want to know the germination rate on their products. Imagine if you had all 5 seeds going thered be no room at the inn lol. mind you me 8 plants all popped so that was 100% germ. regards

All 3 seedlings are up and looking good. Fed my 2 eldest with nutes 2 days ago and growth has since exploded I think they really needed a boost. coming up to the end of the second week after topping and will now be switching to flower this weekend. Entering the business end of the grow.

Hello. I got two blue treacle autos in soil waiting for them to appear,
SAM_5842.JPG
that was the last of my auto seeds so need to go shopping for more.
SAM_58441.JPG
Me flowering room into third week now and i will be taking out one by one to trim under the canopy. this is one that i took out to show how sativa looking it is,if my other seven mature before this one i will finish it at the window with natural light.
SAM_5843.JPG
This is one of the Euforia autos lovely bud structure and is the smelliest i`ve come across thus far.
SAM_5835.JPG
SAM_5834.JPG
. Hows your pineapples? regards

Nice update :) your crop is looking superb! I've never seen bud structure like that before, that's so interesting. What strain is this? Are all your plants autos or are some photo-period?
My pineapples seem to be okay, although after a week I've not seen that much growth, hoping they will kick in to gear when I plant them into the ground outside tomorrow. My royal critical and Norther lights in green house a plodding along okay, although they have grown taller than expected and I think this is due to a lack of light. Exposure in their particular location is not brilliant and the weather has been pretty lousy. I'm not expecting any of my outdoor girls to yield well, but it was always an experiment.
Onto my 2 indoors 8 balls, all seems to be fairly okay. Bud sites are appearing all over the plant, I counted just over 20 bud sites on my largest. Known to be a high yielding strain so I think this is fairly normal, although topping them definitely made a difference. I have included some photos below. NEED TO INVEST IN A FAN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I cant believe I haven't used one to date. Air flow has been constant throughout veg with the window of the room being open, but this is not even close to being as effective as a fan. I guess I'm just being stingey, 30 quid seems like a lot of money all of a sudden... I must get one though especially now that flowering has begun, I know how important air circulation is for preventing mold and heat spots.
I'm slightly worried about some of my fan leaves (see photos). Some are browning is clusters of spots and patches, and a couple leaves mid-high up on the plant have crisped on the tips (significantly) and broke away. Any opinions on a cause? calcium deficiency?) tap water here is neutral and is given to my plants in between feed cycles. After I add nutrients to the water it is around ph 6.3 so I gather that there shouldn't be too much of a ph problem? let me know :)

thanks

IMG_20170709_212640.jpg
IMG_20170709_212651.jpg
IMG_20170709_212740.jpg
IMG_20170709_213026.jpg
IMG_20170709_213050.jpg
IMG_20170709_213059.jpg
IMG_20170709_213108.jpg
IMG_20170709_213155.jpg

IMG_20170709_213234.jpg

Heres my set up at the moment. Still only with 1 main LED but have 4 40w cfls doing their best to penetrate some light to some of the lower bud sites and leaves. Do you think they are doing much good or a just a waste of power?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom