Help! Does my plant look healthy?

MaryJANE01

First time growing any help or opinions are appreciated.. So where do i start i noticed the tips of 2 leaves turned brown but a friend of mine said this was just nute burn the plant basically had more nutrients then it needed because the soil had already nutrients in it, is this true and will my plant be ok, my friend insists that it will be fine and said the plant will eventually grow out of this, What im actually posting on here for is because my plant is 18 days old now and my friends plant is only 11 days but they look the same, just want to know is there something up with my plant that i should be worried about or is it just a slow grower that needs more time?? Picture is in the link. I think its a bit too small for 18 days old. Thanks in advance.
IMG_028054.JPG

Does it look ok for 18 days old? It's a bit small compared to others I have seen. Just want to know is my plants growth a bit slow or is this what the average plant should look like at this age? Thanks for your reply, as for the soil being moist I just watered before taking the picture

If you look at some of the grow logs here, you can get an idea of what plants look like at various ages. You can probably even find an example for whatever strain you're growing.

I can't tell how tall it is from the picture, so I can't tell if it's "stretched" from not enough light, but do bear in mind that cannabis likes and requires lots of light to grow and especially to produce big flowers.

And as I said, it hates "wet feet."

It did stretch a small bit at the start this was my own fault as I had the light too far away. I now have it about 2.5 inch away from the top of the plant. You are 100% right about the water though I came to check on it today and the soil still looks very wet. Also the other two leaves are starting to droop probably because of the water problem and the tips are starting to yellow same as the first two did. Any reason for this? I stopped feeding it nutes after the first two leaves burned that was about 2 weeks ago now. Should I start feeding it nutrients again or is this a different problem I have such as heat burn etc. Thanks again :)
IMG_028362.JPG

This is just a close up to show the leaf drooping, it seems to be just the one. It looks worse in reality than in the picture its basically pointing to the ground and it's a lot smaller compared to the other leaves. The soil isn't wet here either it is just fresh because I transplanted it to a bigger pot. :hookah:
IMG_028661.JPG

It would be really helpful if you could look at the post below and answer the questions that are listed there. Especially important are the questions about what kind of light source and what kind of soil. (Your soil looks pretty dense, like it would benefit from the addition of 30% perlite or vermiculite to help it drain better.)

How to Ask for Grow Support

Does it look ok for 18 days old? It's a bit small compared to others I have seen. Just want to know is my plants growth a bit slow or is this what the average plant should look like at this age? Thanks for your reply, as for the soil being moist I just watered before taking the picture .

Please check out my post as I'm having the exact same problem as you are mine sprouted on 4/20 and is still super small

My plants are 20 days old, if that helps. They had a slow start because of PH issues, using jiffy pots, and humidity too low.. But now that conditions are optimal they are growing very fast.

Looking good! My plant popped back fast too once I got things dialed in, but it's an autoflower, so I lost a week of vegetative growth that I couldn't get back--it started to flower when still small. (Fortunately, it did really well in the flowering stretch.) For my next auto grow, though, I'm gonna make sure that the first few weeks are PERFECT! ;)

Looking good! My plant popped back fast too once I got things dialed in, but it's an autoflower, so I lost a week of vegetative growth that I couldn't get back--it started to flower when still small. (Fortunately, it did really well in the flowering stretch.) For my next auto grow, though, I'm gonna make sure that the first few weeks are PERFECT! ;)

So you think the ph being bad has everything to do with it growing slow because it's ph locked

Huh uh. pH had't even come up here so far as I can recall...

So I came home today To a tragedy....
420-magazine-mobile247876735.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1268005988.jpg
it seems like the plant it dropping more and the tops of the leafs are turning light green on the outside and and stay a medium green on the inner leaf also on the first node the fan leafs are starting to yellow. Please help!

it seems like the plant it dropping more and the tops of the leafs are turning light green on the outside and and stay a medium green on the inner leaf also on the first node the fan leafs are starting to yellow. Please help!

That's an easy one. It's a classic case of the #1 rookie mistake, overwatering. Your roots are so wet you're drowning your plant by cutting off oxygen. I'd suggest putting your plants in a warm, low-humidity place with a fan blowing on them gently so they can dry out, then only water when the soil is dry down to the level of one knuckle.

(Just a note: these questions have kind of highjacked Maryjane's thread. Maybe start your own grow log or post a question of your own on the FAQ? ;))

That's an easy one. It's a classic case of the #1 rookie mistake, overwatering. Your roots are so wet you're drowning your plant by cutting off oxygen. I'd suggest putting your plants in a warm, low-humidity place with a fan blowing on them gently so they can dry out, then only water when the soil is dry down to the level of one knuckle.

(Just a note: these questions have kind of highjacked Maryjane's thread. Maybe start your own grow log or post a question of your own on the FAQ? ;))

Thanks completely new to using forums in general will do tho thanks for the advice

Hey guys haven't been on here in a while. Just a quick update on my grow. I've seen a few pictures of plants around the same age as mine and i'm not so worried now I think mine is a bit small but it seems as though it's growing normally. Chakita99 got a nice plant going there. Anyway here is my baby at 3 weeks, I did ruin one of the leaves with too much heat and I also ripped it a small bit by accident. It kills me inside that I allowed it to happen but it's my first grow so i'll learn from my mistakes. Let me know what you guys think.
InkedFullSizeRender_LI.jpg

Hey guys haven't been on here in a while. Just a quick update on my grow. I've seen a few pictures of plants around the same age as mine and i'm not so worried now I think mine is a bit small but it seems as though it's growing normally. Chakita99 got a nice plant going there. Anyway here is my baby at 3 weeks, I did ruin one of the leaves with too much heat and I also ripped it a small bit by accident. It kills me inside that I allowed it to happen but it's my first grow so i'll learn from my mistakes. Let me know what you guys think.

The OP is back! :) If you want good feedback, it would be helpful if you could answer the questions in the link at post #6. (I'm especially curious about the details of your soil and lighting.) Photos are great, but personally I can't offer much more than I already have without some details...

It's an indoor grow in a peat soil (I know this soil isn't best but it's all I could get my hands on for this grow). Not sure of the strain as it was a bag seed, but it was from a good smoke my buddy had. Growing in a 5L plastic pot with two 100watt cfls, I am using a pc fan for the time being waiting on a better oscillating fan. Also can't tell the humidity i'm waiting for a hygrometer as well. Ph is 6.7 I usually water once a week unless the soil feels dry before then. I'm trying to keep nutrients as natural as I can so I have banana peels in the soil for phosphorus and potassium and composted manure for nitrogen. I don't have a grow tent yet either so for now I am using a homemade grow box covered all over inside with tin foil. Because this is my first grow i'm not looking for anything too serious it's more of an experiment to see how it goes, and, if all goes well I have my eye on some white widow seeds that I will then grow in coco soil and hopefully I can upgrade my lighting to 250watts each by then.

That all sounds good and workable!

My only additional thoughts are I think bananas are usually considered more of a source of dietary potassium than phosphorous, and that uncomposted organics are likely to actually steal nitrogen from the soil as the bacteria break them down. And that they won't provide enough of what's needed. You probably know that manure can be a pretty "hot" fertilizer, but it's good sh*t in the right proportions. ;)

Also, I think peat is pretty acidic(?) and not too high in minerals(?) and that it may not drain as well as you want, so I think you will have to be careful not to overwater and watch out for deficiencies, but the manure may carry you through. It should be an interesting grow!

Both of my current grows are pretty experimental, too. The indoor has turned out well after a rough start. The outdoor grow has been a joke, but a learning experience nonetheless. Nothing like getting hands on!

Ya I wasn't too sure with the banana I just put it in hoping for the best. It seems to be doing the plant some good but it is only starting to decompose now so it could have some negative effects on it, hopefully not. The manure is what caused the plants leaves to burn at the start I probably shouldn't have added it to the soil until now really because the plant probably didn't need as many nutrients starting off and the soil already contained some but as you said its a learning experience. The peat has high acidity, i'm definitely going to go with something better next time like exoterra or some kind like that. The drainage was a big problem at the start of the grow but I started to give it less water now and only water again if I feel as if the soil is too dry. Practice makes perfect :lot-o-toke:

So I'm trying to get the ph right first starting with the water. I found this water to have a ph of 6.2-6.7
420-magazine-mobile1159242945.jpg
I'm going to mix this with some fox farm soil I have coming in the mail. Any opinions do or don't's ?

Back
Top Bottom