Grow question - Seedlings

kaymen667

Hi,
This is my first grow. I have 4 strains of Autoflower, White Widow, Gorilla Glue, Cherry Bomb and electric fruit. I'm using happy frog soil, 1.5 gallon pots and nectar for the gods nutrients. The White widow and gorilla glue are doing great. The other two not so good. I germinated the other two about 2 weeks ago by soaking in water then in a wet paper towel, everything went fine, I transplanted and they are about 3 inches tall but they have pretty much stalled out, they barely have the first leaves. They aren't dead but they aren't doing anything, just staying exactly the same. I had this happen with the gorilla glue but after about two weeks it suddenly started growing and caught up the the white widow which I had no issues with.

I live in Massachusetts and this spring has been cold and caused big temp issues. I was looking at some info on the life cycle of the plants and these should be further along than they are. I'm using LED grow lights (i know many hate LED but it's all I can afford at the moment). I have been extremely careful with watering, feeding, temp and PH the other two plants are beautiful.

My question is, is their any way to push these to grow or is their a point I just need to give up on these two plants and order some more seeds. Is two weeks an unusual amount of time to stay exactly the same size?

Hi,
This is my first grow. I have 4 strains of Autoflower, White Widow, Gorilla Glue, Cherry Bomb and electric fruit. I'm using happy frog soil, 1.5 gallon pots and nectar for the gods nutrients. The White widow and gorilla glue are doing great. The other two not so good. I germinated the other two about 2 weeks ago by soaking in water then in a wet paper towel, everything went fine, I transplanted and they are about 3 inches tall but they have pretty much stalled out, they barely have the first leaves. They aren't dead but they aren't doing anything, just staying exactly the same. I had this happen with the gorilla glue but after about two weeks it suddenly started growing and caught up the the white widow which I had no issues with.

I live in Massachusetts and this spring has been cold and caused big temp issues. I was looking at some info on the life cycle of the plants and these should be further along than they are. I'm using LED grow lights (i know many hate LED but it's all I can afford at the moment). I have been extremely careful with watering, feeding, temp and PH the other two plants are beautiful.

My question is, is their any way to push these to grow or is their a point I just need to give up on these two plants and order some more seeds. Is two weeks an unusual amount of time to stay exactly the same size?
You have any pics, i am growing ww auto also, were did you get your seeds and what kind of led do you have, i have been growing with led and hps, i like my led better so far.✌

You have any pics, i am growing ww auto also, were did you get your seeds and what kind of led do you have, i have been growing with led and hps, i like my led better so far.✌

I am behind on my pics, this one is from a couple weeks ago. I'm using a Taotronics LED grow light thats been working well for me so far. I got my seeds from GYO.
FullSizeRender167.jpg

Sometimes a plant wont grow on top of ground for a bit cause it is building its roots, once they build there roots up a bit then they will explode, hopefully they will take off for you, make sure you let the soil dry out real good in between watering, alot of new growers over water which can also stop growth, i let my soil get really dry in between watering.✌

Sometimes a plant wont grow on top of ground for a bit cause it is building its roots, once they build there roots up a bit then they will explode, hopefully they will take off for you, make sure you let the soil dry out real good in between watering, alot of new growers over water which can also stop growth, i let my soil get really dry in between watering.✌

I have read over and over again not to over water so I have tried to fight the urge to water them until they a pretty dry. It's been a cold wet spring here so I have only had to water once a week.

I have read over and over again not to over water so I have tried to fight the urge to water them until they a pretty dry. It's been a cold wet spring here so I have only had to water once a week.

What are your temperatures at lights on and lights off?
What are the minimum and maximum temperatures?

I'm in Scotland and have to make quite a few adjustments to the grow during cold periods

What are your temperatures at lights on and lights off?
What are the minimum and maximum temperatures?

I'm in Scotland and have to make quite a few adjustments to the grow during cold periods

Lights on i'm at between 72 and 80 and I have to run a heater on cold days. Lights off it's between 66 and 70 but about 68. Typically this time of the year here we are in the upper 70's but this spring started cold and then went crazy, last week alone it was 95 two days and then it dropped to the 60's. The boston area is known for fast weather changes but this spring has been crazy.

Lights on i'm at between 72 and 80 and I have to run a heater on cold days. Lights off it's between 66 and 70 but about 68. Typically this time of the year here we are in the upper 70's but this spring started cold and then went crazy, last week alone it was 95 two days and then it dropped to the 60's. The boston area is known for fast weather changes but this spring has been crazy.

Sounds like the weather with you is as changeable as here! I have a sneaky feeling I know what your issue is. If your lights off temps are roughly 68 degrees (20C) your issue may be due to a cold rootzone.

LED doesn't provide the infrared light which dries out pots, and thus, heats them up. If the temperature of the roots drops below ~19C (66F) then growth will almost stop. It's hard to measure root temperature, but if ambient temperature is close to the rootzone minimum then there is a high chance the roots are colder.

If you can, place a heat mat below the pot(s). You should find one cheap in a shop that sells reptile supplies, or alternatively one will be found in a garden centre. This will allow the rootzone temperatures to stay higher and (hopefully) improve growing vigour.

Sounds like the weather with you is as changeable as here! I have a sneaky feeling I know what your issue is. If your lights off temps are roughly 68 degrees (20C) your issue may be due to a cold rootzone.

LED doesn't provide the infrared light which dries out pots, and thus, heats them up. If the temperature of the roots drops below ~19C (66F) then growth will almost stop. It's hard to measure root temperature, but if ambient temperature is close to the rootzone minimum then there is a high chance the roots are colder.

If you can, place a heat mat below the pot(s). You should find one cheap in a shop that sells reptile supplies, or alternatively one will be found in a garden centre. This will allow the rootzone temperatures to stay higher and (hopefully) improve growing vigour.

Thank you, i'm going to try that. And yes from what I know of the weather over their it's a lot like Massachusetts. By July I will be fighting the heat waves and 90% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom