Beginner question

He probably has a bunch of rockwool cubes lol rapid rooters are the shit but if you have only rockwool you can be successful. We always germinate in damp paper towel in a ziploc bag folded under itself and on a plate with another plate on top sitting on the heat mat (cable box lmao) and when we have a tail we pop it into rockwool tap down and wait for it to pop up. You don't want the rockwool to dry out completely or stay saturated either. These are seedling not clones so ditch the humidity dome or vent it, because she needs the fresh air. Most growers have seed/ling failures every now and again but in a perfect environment with good quality seeds you should be able to germinate one seed and get one or more plants from it (if you do clones) just make sure you keep a close eye on her, she will need darkness, warmth and moisture until she pops, light and fresh air once she pops. Keep at it don't be deterred sh!t happens sometimes.

That makes sense. I checked on my new seed today and the tap broke through the seed, only a very small amount. Since I am using the paper towel method, should I give the cube fresh air and no heat mat since I am pre germinating? Or should I plant the seed with the tap down in the rockwool and put it under a dome until it pop up from the rockwool then fresh air? Thanks a lot!

Let it stick its tongue out a little more and the. Pop it in root down, pinch the top close (carefully and only a wee bit) so you can barely see the see at all. This helps the plant take its helmet off all by itself. Noticed half the time with rockwool, the seed gets stuck on the cotyledons or the stem below and has a hard time shedding it. Beware of the dark colored stem. If the helmet is on good and the stem below goes black you must do surgery at once lol. Human saliva really helps if the shell comes off and the membrane stays on. Ugh, rockwool problems! You can dome it if you want but keep the rw moist but not soaked. Don't let it dry out. I personally put the rw into hydroton right after I put in the seed and put it under led light from as far away as possible. She will sprout in this environment if you pinch the top close a little and run the light for heat. Not everyone does it this way but we have developed a system that works given the seeds are good. Good luck brother man, and once those roots are in the bucket you can ignore the rw.

One extra tip. We also cover the rw under one single carefully hand placed layer of hydroton. It protects the rw from forming bacteria, mold, mildew and what have you.

420-magazine-mobile1885395174.jpg

420-magazine-mobile465681613.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1175421388.jpg

Back
Top Bottom