Low smell drying/curing techniques

Bingleberry

420 Member
After my first harvest, my wife nearly lost it when she came home and the house wreaked of freshly harvested bud. I moved it to dry in a dehumidified crawl space, which helped minimize the smell (originally drying in our laundry room), but it was still pretty stinky.

Before I start my next grow, I promised my wife that I'd do my best to minimize smells, but have not found too many options for good "stealth" drying techniques. I was thinking about hanging the bud in my 3x3x6 grow tent, with a carbon filter exhaust, but I'm not sure if that'd be the most ideal.

Does anybody have recommendations for drying/curing bud that won't stink up my whole neighborhood? I am open to any suggestions, including DIY apparatuses or other commercially build contraptions. Thanks!

Never heard of water curing, so I looked it up... certainly sounds like an appealing method, since I am not selling, and have no need for "bag appeal." Pending other recommendations, I think I'll dry in the tent with a carbon filter exhaust, and any overflow that doesn't fit in the tent will be water cured.

Thanks!

From what I've seen a good way to eliminate smell is to dry in a tent/room with an exhaust fan and carbon filter. Though this may not always work if you have other plants growing at the same time.

I saw a brilliant idea from Twox's Two Tent Perpetual Setup which you can find on page 14 (post #205) where he uses a plastic storage box thing and attaches that via ducting to his tents so the smell gets pulled out of the drying box and into the vegging/flowering tent to be filtered for smell. This idea means the smell gets filtered through the carbon filter but you don't actually have to hang your drying buds in the same tent.

So my suggestion would be either to dry your herb in a tent/room with a carbon filter or dry in a smaller something you can attach to your tent/room with carbon filter.

is there a way to buy carbon filters for a HVAC system? Seems like the household A/C would be the most efficient way of scrubbing the air for the whole house. Or some sort of air cleaner for the grow area.

I don't see why the filter on the grow tent wouldn't work. That's what I plan on doing. Not sure how much it will help during the actual harvest but I figure if I stay close to the tent/filter it will help.

Never heard of water curing, so I looked it up... certainly sounds like an appealing method, since I am not selling, and have no need for "bag appeal." Pending other recommendations, I think I'll dry in the tent with a carbon filter exhaust, and any overflow that doesn't fit in the tent will be water cured.
Your tent should be good.

This is how my last water curing looked like.

IMG_20170308_190048.jpg

IMG_20170308_190248.jpg

It taste and smell nothing, but all went in coconut oil! :)

I got a 2×2×4 tent I use just for drying. I open an air flap and an exhaust hose to my main tent which has an exhaust system. I get perfect air flow with no overbearing smell

Back
Top Bottom