Pineapple Express: indica dominate or sativa dominate?

eggzin

Hi,

I've read claims both ways. I'm asking about G13 Labs Pineapple Express hybrid. Some seed companies call it indica dominate, others sativa. Most people say it's a sativa, but many say indica. What are the properties of the high? This is my first experience with it. G13's website has no info on it --wtf, they created it and seem to be proud of it...

The leaves look wide as opposed to the long thin leaf of a sativa.

Any info at all about the plant would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi,

I've read claims both ways. I'm asking about G13 Labs Pineapple Express hybrid. Some seed companies call it indica dominate, others sativa. Most people say it's a sativa, but many say indica. What are the properties of the high? This is my first experience with it. G13's website has no info on it --wtf, they created it and seem to be proud of it...

The leaves look wide as opposed to the long thin leaf of a sativa.

Any info at all about the plant would be helpful. Thanks.

You might find this article from Wired interesting: Sorry, But the Names for Weed Strains Are Kinda Meaningless

Here's the scientific journal article cited in the Wired article: The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp

This chart from the scientific article takes a little thinking to figure out, but it's pretty interesting: Fig 2. Genetic structure of marijuana.

All heresy, I know. Actual science has a way of undercutting fervently believed folklore and religion. ;)

Thanks Scientific. Yes, very interesting. I guess the upshot of all that is that there's been so much chaotic interbreeding over the years that you can't tell from the name of a plant it's real genetics.

But, still, even if a plant is mis-named it still has properties all it's own --no matter what it's called. So, apparently, G13 did some strain crossing (reportedly Trainwreck w/ Maoui Waoui) and stabilized it resulting in a new plant they named Pineapple Express. Presumably the seeds from that plant will produce another Pineapple Express.

Now, in my search for info, I saw pics of PE whose leaves looked nothing like the leaves on my plant. Mine are wide. Some pics I saw showed long and skinny and others were like mine. I chalked it up to seedbanks or breeders ripping off the name PE for financial gain.

At one point, I was reading a not-so-gentlemanly exchange between two guys who one screamed it's a sativa and the other an indica. Then, the smarter of the two said there are 4 different phenotypes --one is an indica and three are sativa --wtf?

Well, G13 is the originator. The seeds I bought through Bonza were advertised as G13 Labs Pineapple Express. I found no information on G13's website.

I'm wondering what the medicinal (and other) properties may be. I've never had it or grown it. It's a cup winner, so people must like it.

I wonder what people here think of it.

But I thank you S. Those links were interesting. I learned something.

The local alternative newspaper ran a story last year by a guy who had worked at a dispensary. He claimed they often just made up cool-sounding names, and if the product sold under that name, they kept using it, and if it didn't, they made up another one. Pretty funny and a little bit sad but what the hell.

(I'm also reminded of my ancient, doctor father saying that he could never use street drugs because "you have to trust your pusher" for potency and quality control.) ;)

But genetics aside, if it's a cup winner, it's a cup winner, and it has passed the very real test of producing a quality product (if it "breeds true" anyway, and doesn't have a lot of phenotypic variation).

Me, I'm stuck with strains that stay small, but I dream of a farm with 20-foot-tall sativas blowing in the summer breeze... (and a cup-winner would be nice too).

Back
Top Bottom