Ionic Silver, Colloidal Silver: is it the same?

juz420

hey guys, I want to try some colloidal silver treatment for some fem seeds, my friend gave me some ionic silver 16-20ppm which supposed to be the equivalent to 50-60 PPM Colloidal silver, does anyone know if this will work?

The Info on the bottle reads:-

"Colloidal Silver manufactured using low voltage electrolysis (2-40 Volts DC) typically contains 20-40% Silver Ions. This is the active ingredient in Colloidal Silver and carries a positive electrical charge. In "liquid Life" all the silver is in this active positively charged ionic form and does not contain any inert silver colloids.

Ingredients:
Silver Ions, Steam distilled water.

Also when is the latest you can effectively use this i.e. how many weeks into flower?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers,
Juz420

I am about to attempt my first use of colloidal silver on an auto. I'm can't answer your question but if you look up "fanleaf" and check out his postings on the use of silver it may help. He has been a huge help to me in preparation to use this stuff. Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck and happy growing!

Well, a lot of us pollen chuckers hang out here in DrZiggy's journal...

Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With Doc Buds High Brix Blend Kit

Then there's also Icemud's journal

Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

And I'm doing some work with it in my journal (current grow, link in my sig)

I found this thread from BigIrishDude (RIP) to be very informative about ways to generation colloidal silver and the differences

DIY How to Make Your Own Colloidal Silver for Feminized Seed Production

There are also some links on Google that are really valuable. Google "All you ever wanted to know about colloidal silver" and you will find a very well researched article with a lot of information, but it's not really much about using it for plants as much as it is about people using it for health reasons.

It seems that a lot of people are having success with a product called Silver Mountain Minerals Bio-Silver, at concentrations of 50 ppm or higher. I think on the bottle they also call theirs ionic silver.

As far as I know, the major difference with ionic silver and colloidal silver is that "ionic" silver just has positively charged ionic particles that are much smaller, and I think they have some kind of bonding characteristic that makes them more desirable for the health supplemental side of things. As far as making plants male goes, it seems that just getting the silver particles small enough to be taken in by the plant is enough from what I've read.

No they’re not the same thing. Colloidal silver is a suspension of silver molecules in liquid. Suspended silver.

In the case of ionic silver the silver is actually dissolved in the water, lost an electron, and become silver ions. Dissolved silver.

The diy version we like to make, and (I think) most of the stuff you can buy online- is mostly ionic silver, with a small amount of colloidal silver in it. It’s difficult to make true colloidal silver in high concentration.

In any case it all works to reverse plants. At least it sort of works, sometimes...

No they’re not the same thing. Colloidal silver is a suspension of silver molecules in liquid. Suspended silver.

In the case of ionic silver the silver is actually dissolved in the water, lost an electron, and become silver ions. Dissolved silver.

The diy version we like to make, and (I think) most of the stuff you can buy online- is mostly ionic silver, with a small amount of colloidal silver in it. It’s difficult to make true colloidal silver in high concentration.

In any case it all works to reverse plants. At least it sort of works, sometimes...
Ionic exchange is the description of the process for making "colloidal silver" ...how do you think they get ions into water ? It's an electron exchange..ie polarity is pushed by EMF (electromotive force) it's the only way to make colloidal silver..the valence electrons in the silver get booted off the top and get pushed into the water molecules..they are charged particles all sharing the same charge so the can't go backwards and get stuck in the water as they repel eachother they don't drop out...unless you steal their charge by putting a piece of metal in the solution..then they will drop out..sorry this is the simple version. Please tell me how they make CS some other way..I would love to know.

hey guys, I want to try some colloidal silver treatment for some fem seeds, my friend gave me some ionic silver 16-20ppm which supposed to be the equivalent to 50-60 PPM Colloidal silver, does anyone know if this will work?

The Info on the bottle reads:-

"Colloidal Silver manufactured using low voltage electrolysis (2-40 Volts DC) typically contains 20-40% Silver Ions. This is the active ingredient in Colloidal Silver and carries a positive electrical charge. In "liquid Life" all the silver is in this active positively charged ionic form and does not contain any inert silver colloids.

Ingredients:
Silver Ions, Steam distilled water.

Also when is the latest you can effectively use this i.e. how many weeks into flower?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers,
Juz420
9 volts, distilled water, pure silver anode, graphite cathode, 12 oz water...6 hours

I am sorry weasel cracker. You are right and I am also sort of right..but it comes down to a splitting of science hairs..what we are more accurately speaking of in this forum is "silver solutions" ..please read this page I found for a more accurate bit of information about this..https://www.ppt-health.com/colloidal-silver-basics/types-of-colloidal-silver/

Well your link mostly seems to say what I said before. But yeah I agree it doesn’t really matter. Also- I don’t claim to be an expert. As you seem to be doing, I’m just chasing articles. And it’s a bit of a rabbit hole- seems to be endless essays and endless debate about ‘what is true colloidal silver’....:laughtwo:
On this forum what we care about is whether it reverses our plants or not.

Which it does. But over the years I haven’t found the stuff to be very reliable. Mostly I’ve switched to making silver thiosulphate solution these days.

,i get one of ebay CS 50ppm works a treat i used both and both worked, ionic also worked
P1110019.JPG
P1110020.JPG
P1110021.JPG

i had a stunted auto so sprayed her , i then stunted a couple more to make see ds, dont like to pollinate big plants it breaks my heart lol
P1100794.JPG

I've made a bit of a science project about the whole CS issue for years and have a diploma in environmental chemistry to help me wade thru the BS. I've also been making my own and very effective CS for 7 years or so.

Your plain jane 9-volt battery stuff can be good enough if made correctly. Distilled water only! .99 silver at the minimum. .9999 silver for the win!

I use a flat-bottomed 1L boiling ball on a magnetic stirrer to do my batches. Kind of custom built using what I had at hand. Split a .999 silver coin from the Post Office in half then drilled tiny holes in the tips of each to fit some .999 silver wire crimped on. Couple of almond milk bottle caps to space things out and Bob's ur Uncle. :)

Had to flip the bottle caps over so water didn't pool in the cups and short things out. They are wrong side up in this pic.

Colloidal silver_New setup_01.jpg

This sits in this setup with a 29.5VDC wall wart for a power supply. Was the kind used to power my wifi radio attenna but I found it at a thrift store for $2.

Colloidal silver_New setup_02.jpg

I've since added a power regulating circuit to the system. It's supposed to make it all nano sized particles and much more effective for health reasons tho I'm not sure how it works for resexing.

CircuitPlanShort.JPG

I've built it on a breadboard but still haven't soldered onto a PCB yet. Works fine as is but takes twice as long to get the ppm pen to hit 8ppm. About 12 hours with 3 or 4 cleanings of the electrodes and switching polarities for more even wear. Should be 16 - 20ppm IRL.

This stuff is all Greek to me but it seems to work.

CSProto02.JPG

Breadboard4CS01.JPG

It's been fun learning about this stuff and I got a couple of Arudinos and a Raspberry Pi to play with as well tho they've been shelved for a while. Got the Pi online and even installed my paid ProtonVPN to it tho it's all text based to make it work so it waits for my attention too. lol

Got to work those few remaining brain cells to keep the oldtimerz at bay! lol

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom