Need suggestions on my ScrOG setup

Guitarofozz

I originally made a screen with yarn and a cut-out window screen. I then added some trellis to add some support. Now it just looks messy as hell. I topped it for its last time about 4 days ago so I'm going to veg for another week or so unless someone has better ideas?

Info:
5 plants from seed. 3 OG kush germinated and sprouted about a week before the other two which were just OG kush mixes. Final plant sprouted 5/5/17. Been topped twice.

Light is an AC 600w HPS about 19" from canopy. White paper seen in photo is panda film.

Remove trellis? Keep vegging and keep pulling branches through? I currently have a 600w air cooled hps sitting about 19" from canopy.

So I woke up at 3am last night and decided to do some major rearranging. I took out the big plastic box that was keeping the plants at waist height. This allowed me much more room, being able to use the whole closet floor (covered in panda film) not just the edges of the box.

I took the extra trellis off and rearranged the plants to fill the original screen out better. I made room for the few clones I have in there and then set my light to 18" above the canopy.

One thing I haven't figured out, How will I transfer this into my tent when it comes time to go into flower? I don't feel the closet is completely light leak free plus the temp and humidity is not as controlled. The tent also had my best lights. Ideas?

I just put my screens on after I move them to the flowering room. Saves me the trouble of moving screens around. Any old overgrown bush can be crammed into a screen.
I would just wait and do it then or it's going to be a PITA- for no real advantage.

I just put my screens on after I move them to the flowering room. Saves me the trouble of moving screens around. Any old overgrown bush can be crammed into a screen.
I would just wait and do it then or it's going to be a PITA- for no real advantage.
Will do. Gonna remove screen, let veg a little while to recover from the recent topping then transfer to tent and place screen

Yeah try to get them a little taller and you'll have more working room under your screen.
Wire fencing makes a good screen- or any sort of stuff grating. 3-4" mesh is what I prefer.

I used to have a set of rolling contraptions, platform to hold the reservoirs (was growing DWC hydroponics at the time, but that shouldn't matter) along with a frame to hold a (wire) screen. That... was still a PitA, lol. But it worked, sort of. Step one was - actually, this should have been step one ;) - figuring out that just because you make the smaller dimension of a rectangular device smaller than the doorway's dimensions... doesn't automatically you'll be able to turn the *^$#ing things around to suit after you get them into the grow room.

BtW, to me the entire point of going scrog is to be able to use smaller numbers of plants (often only ONE plant), to control height, and to promote significant branching. Filling the area with plants seems to be counterproductive. As does waiting until flower to install the screen, because the plant's structure (branched or not) would have already been formed by that point (yes, I know, the stretch, lol, but...).

So I woke up at 3am last night and decided to do some major rearranging. I took out the big plastic box that was keeping the plants at waist height. This allowed me much more room, being able to use the whole closet floor (covered in panda film) not just the edges of the box.

I took the extra trellis off and rearranged the plants to fill the original screen out better. I made room for the few clones I have in there and then set my light to 18" above the canopy.

One thing I haven't figured out, How will I transfer this into my tent when it comes time to go into flower? I don't feel the closet is completely light leak free plus the temp and humidity is not as controlled. The tent also had my best lights. Ideas?

Hey there, Weasle is right. I was tought to scrog went you flip to flower as the stretch will fill the net right up. Personally I wud take the net off very carefully and just before you switch to flower put it back in. Just my thoughts thow. Good Luck!

I used to have a set of rolling contraptions, platform to hold the reservoirs (was growing DWC hydroponics at the time, but that shouldn't matter) along with a frame to hold a (wire) screen. That... was still a PitA, lol. But it worked, sort of. Step one was - actually, this should have been step one ;) - figuring out that just because you make the smaller dimension of a rectangular device smaller than the doorway's dimensions... doesn't automatically you'll be able to turn the *^$#ing things around to suit after you get them into the grow room.

BtW, to me the entire point of going scrog is to be able to use smaller numbers of plants (often only ONE plant), to control height, and to promote significant branching. Filling the area with plants seems to be counterproductive. As does waiting until flower to install the screen, because the plant's structure (branched or not) would have already been formed by that point (yes, I know, the stretch, lol, but...).

Yes the stretch..lol -♂️

I agree that having a bunch of different pots/plants/strains under one screen is a bit weird- but not too big an issue.
I've been doing the screen-at-flip routine for over three years and there really is no issue with the plant structure. Just top it once or twice and then cram the screen on top of the resulting bush. Buds grow up from the ends and all nodes in between.

I agree that having a bunch of different pots/plants/strains under one screen is a bit weird- but not too big an issue.
I've been doing the screen-at-flip routine for over three years and there really is no issue with the plant structure. Just top it once or twice and then cram the screen on top of the resulting bush. Buds grow up from the ends and all nodes in between.
Well they're really all the same strain essentially. And the pots, I managed to get them to an even canopy even before any lst was done so it worked. It just seems, and correct me if I'm wrong, this is the most fruitful way to grow these five plants.

Well they're really all the same strain essentially.

Essentially?

If I grew multiple plants under (and, during flowering, through) the same screen, I'd want them to be exactly the same strain (same phenotype, too). That way I could harvest the entire screen as a unit - instead of trying to selectively harvest the portion of the screen that is actually ready. A portion that will not necessarily be in a nice, neat, contiguous section, lmfao (see your favorite search engine for a mythological parable that would be suitable here... perhaps when Hercules slew the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra, for when you think you've finally, absolutely, positively clipped the last of that particular plant away from the screen, when you start to remove its container and realize... oops - or his cleaning of the Augean stables all in one day, to reflect how much effort a fractional harvest of a screen actually is (versus simply sawing through the main trunk(s) underneath, then removing the entire screen from the grow room)).

Well, it might not be that difficult. But it won't be fun if your plants don't have exactly the same length of flowering period, therefore don't have the same length of the stretch period (or possibly even the same rate of stretch).

It can be done; most everything can. Some things may not be worth the effort....

Essentially?

If I grew multiple plants under (and, during flowering, through) the same screen, I'd want them to be exactly the same strain (same phenotype, too). That way I could harvest the entire screen as a unit - instead of trying to selectively harvest the portion of the screen that is actually ready. A portion that will not necessarily be in a nice, neat, contiguous section, lmfao (see your favorite search engine for a mythological parable that would be suitable here... perhaps when Hercules slew the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra, for when you think you've finally, absolutely, positively clipped the last of that particular plant away from the screen, when you start to remove its container and realize... oops - or his cleaning of the Augean stables all in one day, to reflect how much effort a fractional harvest of a screen actually is (versus simply sawing through the main trunk(s) underneath, then removing the entire screen from the grow room)).

Well, it might not be that difficult. But it won't be fun if your plants don't have exactly the same length of flowering period, therefore don't have the same length of the stretch period (or possibly even the same rate of stretch).

It can be done; most everything can. Some things may not be worth the effort....
Ph absolutely, completely agree. Would I love my first ScrOG grow not to have unnecessary variables? Yes. But when life gives you free seeds, you plant them. From what I've read about of kush and it's major derivatives, growth patterns are similar as are size and yield.

EDIT: Also, I spend money where it counts, but I pride myself on getting by for little to no money when possible. I don't skimp on lights, nutes, or a ph meter for example, but I will absolutely take a free hand full of seeds and not need a list of the exact strain of each one.

Yes a scrog is the handiest LST tool if you are having to do a lot of training to keep them low.
Another way would be to just use ordinary LST to achieve the same thing- drill
holes in pot rims and tie down with pipe cleaners. Supercrop also to keep limbs down. I trained a large stretchy landrace Thai sativa flat this way- it just took more time.
Another way is that make individual screens. I have a bunch of those- supported by shafts jammed into the pot. Maybe not worth the trouble for your situation.
None of your plants look stretchy. Personally I don't think it's critically important which way you do it. A few ways to skin this cat and whichever way you do it you end up with a skinned cat.
Having each plant free to move around, lift to check weight for watering, and take out for harvest, is a bonus.

Having a screen to tie down to makes it very easy to height control even the stretchiest plant.

If it was me I'd just skip the scrog and train them low, or maybe put little individual screens on the larger ones if they seem to be bolting too much. Four sticks jammed in the pot (I use old aluminum arrow shafts) and a scrap of wire fencing or any sort of rigid mesh- or a frame with string.

Yes a scrog is the handiest LST tool if you are having to do a lot of training to keep them low.
Another way would be to just use LST to achieve the same thing- drill
Jokes in pot rims and tie down with pipe cleaners. Supercrop also to keep limbs down. I trained a large stretchy landrace Thai sativa flat this way- it just took more time.
Another way is that make individual screens. I have a bunch of those- supported by shafts jammed into the pot. Maybe not worth the trouble for your situation.
None of your plants look stretchy. Personally I don't think it's critically important which way you do it. A few ways to skin this cat and whichever way you do it you end up with a skinned cat.
Having each plant free to move around, lift to check weight for watering, and take out for harvest, is a bonus.

Having a screen to tie down to makes it very easy to height control even the stretchiest plant.

If it was me I'd just skip the scrog and train them low, or maybe put little individual screens on the larger ones if they seem to be bolting too much. Four sticks jammed in the pot (I use old aluminum arrow shafts) and a scrap of wire fencing or any sort of rigid mesh- or a frame with string.

Now that you mention it, with the screen off, the plant stays pretty even and flat. Definitely going to remove screen and allow to veg another week-week and a half and then put into tent and decide whether to screen or not to screen

Back
Top Bottom