Can I transplant 4-5' indoor potted plants outside in ground

tess

Hi, I have 5 very tall Blueberry plants under LED grow lights, in front of a large south face picture window that gets hot full sun. They are in 4 gallon pots in a good potting soil mix. The lights are on a timer, 16 hours of light per day and still in Vegetative state. They have been moved to the deck on occasion, but I have not "hardened" them off. We are about to hit the longest day of the year and I'd like to transplant them outside into the ground, but I need to know if they would suffer transplant shock or sunburn?

Does anyone have experience with this situation?

I started them from seed and would hate to hurt, or worse, kill them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Can I transplant 4 - 5 ' indoor potted plants outside

I harden them off over 4-5 days moving them in and out of the garage. When they need a break just slide them back into the shaded area.

I'd put them out unless you have really cold ass weather. I put all my plants out on June 1st every year. I just threw acouple 4 footers out last week and up-potted them into 4 cubic foot of dirt for each. Looking at about 10' plants come Oct. I'm in Oregon. Never go out earlier than June 1st or your plants could possibly start a false flower.
GL and Keepem Green

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know. Will harden them off for 4 - 5 days and then put them in the ground.

Definitely harden them off. Watch the plant for heat or sun stress and give it some shading in the afternoon if you can. That's probably the most important. Mist them a little bit.

I planted them outside and they are 12 feet tall! All five are starting to show buds but I am totally confused on identifying them as male or female even though I've looked at 100s of photos. My guess is this one is male. Can anyone confirm that for me based on this photo?
male_or_female_.jpg

I planted them outside and they are 12 feet tall! All five are starting to show buds but I am totally confused on identifying them as male or female even though I've looked at 100s of photos. My guess is this one is male. Can anyone confirm that for me based on this photo?
male_or_female_.jpg

This is a male.

Thanks for confirming. I find it hard to trust myself. I have limited experience growing. I have two massive plants that are males then. Since the other three don't look like this pic I am hoping to see those little white hairs soon. I will chop the males down and make some budder with them. :)

Back
Top Bottom