Coco In Aeropots, Fabric Or Normal Black Plastic Pots?

If by "normal black plastic pots" you mean... a normal black plastic pot with solid walls and a drain hole(s) in the bottom, that's last choice because it gets the least oxygen to the roots (though you might not have to water it as often).

Aeropots are cool but stupidly overpriced. Someone needs to start selling cheap clone Aeropots!

That leaves fabric, which is what my summer deck plant is in. Actually it's in a double layer of burlap clad with half-inch hardware cloth, but that's mostly because I had that lying around--and because this homemade pot breaths better than anything else out there. It drys out fast, though.

2017-06-10_Day_11_1200_002.JPG

Dwarf Low Flyer in a 2-gallon pot filled with one expanded brick of coco coir and 30% perlite.
  • The frame is a piece of scrap 1/2" "hardware cloth" (galvanized screen).
  • The liner is cut from a burlap coffee sack (2 layers thick).
(I'm told that burlap rots really fast, though, so this liner might last just one grow.

If by "normal black plastic pots" you mean... a normal black plastic pot with solid walls and a drain hole(s) in the bottom, that's last choice because it gets the least oxygen to the roots (though you might not have to water it as often).

Aeropots are cool but stupidly overpriced. Someone needs to start selling cheap clone Aeropots!

That leaves fabric, which is what my summer deck plant is in. Actually it's in a double layer of burlap clad with half-inch hardware cloth, but that's mostly because I had that lying around--and because this homemade pot breaths better than anything else out there. It drys out fast, though.

2017-06-10_Day_11_1200_002.JPG

Dwarf Low Flyer in a 2-gallon pot filled with one expanded brick of coco coir and 30% perlite.
  • The frame is a piece of scrap 1/2" "hardware cloth" (galvanized screen).
  • The liner is cut from a burlap coffee sack (2 layers thick).
(I'm told that burlap rots really fast, though, so this liner might last just one grow.
Good stuff good stuff! I'd have to say that I agree. Fabric pots are really the best, I'm not too sure tho for coco. I'm sure people use them with coco tho. How do they hold up to saturated/dry cycles? Anybody?

Lots of folks use fabric for coco. I'm not sure what you mean about how they hold up to saturated/dry. Commercially made cloth pots are pretty robust. They're just gonna dry out faster.

Well what I ment was, in soil you SHOULD water or feed when the soil is about dry (First top inch or so). But as I see you water/feed just about daily with coco. Does coco dry out faster in cloth pots? And would there be a need to water more than once daily?

I use fabric pots for coco an love it, they compliment the coir very well. Coco retains large amounts of oxygen AN fabric pots air prune the roots. It just goes hand in hand. An u should always feed coco atleast once a day. It is a hydro medium an should be treated as such.

Ok I gotcha. Thanks Scientific for your input. I've been thinking of going to coco, as all the nutes I have are really for soil. Eventually I'll make it to hydro.

Now that I look at what I just said, seems to be like a winners tier. Soil is bronze, coco is silver, and hydro is gold. Lol

Back
Top Bottom