Uh Oh

Winginit

I'm having issues with my ladies help is appreciated.
Let's start with the basics shall we:

What Strain is it? Champagne Auto

How Many Plants?2

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? In veg still

If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? Day 29

Indoor

Coco coir

If Hydro, what type of Medium? Coco coir

What Size Pot? 3 gallon air pots

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 2x 600w led.

Is it Air Cooled? Yes

Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 76-82

RH of Room/Cabinet? 40-55%

Any Pests? No

How Often are you Watering? 1 time a day

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Advanced nutes: micro, grow, bloom as well as some cal mag plus. My PPM is at 450 I use barely a half of what's recommended.

They have been praying to the lights up until last night, they were wilted but i had just done some bowl training and pony tailed them for a few hours and they haven't prayed since.

Here's pics
420-magazine-mobile170746645.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1965246972.jpg

I also noticed that the stems are starting to turn purple. Is this from lack of cal mag??
420-magazine-mobile1581322266.jpg

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Love the shot of it sitting in the orange chair. "Meet your new boss."

As for your "issues": I'll guess the old nemesis of overwatering for the drooping. Stop watering until the coco is dry a knuckle deep, at least.

The purple color I'll guess is just anthocyanin pigment and just your plant expressing its genotype in its phenotype.

So... nothing to be alarmed about; plant is looking good. I think it needs to stay in that chair. ;)

Love the shot of it sitting in the orange chair. "Meet your new boss."

Ha I like this. She is the boss as she towers over the other almost double in height crazy.

As for your suggestion, I heard it was bad to let coco coir dry up as it can create air pockets.... have you ever heard this? but it does look over watered I thought that could be an issue. I will cut back on how much I water and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help brother.

I heard it was bad to let coco coir dry up as it can create air pockets.... have you ever heard this?

Uh uh. Sounds... imaginative? And I don't think air pockets would be a bad thing--better than the solid, brick-like consistency of the $1.99 Ace Hardware soil I used for my first grow. ;)

I do know from hard experience and from what I have seen here that cannabis really hates "wet feet." It seems to need lots of oxygen to its roots and to droop and stop growing when its roots are too wet.

Happy growing! :)

It's true- you don't want to let coco dry up. It's not the same as soil. Coco holds far more air than soil does and it is basically impossible to overwater a plant in coco once you're past the seedling stages of growth and have a good root system going. (But yes you can overwater when you have a small plant/large pot scenario) Any excess water just runs out the bottom of the pot but the coco stays fluffy and aerated at saturation, unlike soil.

It's true- you don't want to let coco dry up. It's not the same as soil. Coco holds far more air than soil does and it is basically impossible to overwater a plant in coco once you're past the seedling stages of growth and have a good root system going. (But yes you can overwater when you have a small plant/large pot scenario) Any excess water just runs out the bottom of the pot but the coco stays fluffy and aerated at saturation, unlike soil.

So do you agree it could be overwatering? Even though like you said it's basically impossible to due so in coco... or could this be stress from training possibly?

Unless you have some terrible quality coco- it should be impossible for you to overwater that plant at the stage it's at now.
So - short answer- I don't know ;) I doubt that the training would make it all wilt- though a heavy training session can obviously make a plant look a bit thrashed. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless it stays that way.

I have the same issue but really worse, got some feedback from the forums. Seems to be overwatering or bad air circulation on the roots.

Keep it low with the watering and i hope both our plants get back healthy

Unless you have some terrible quality coco- it should be impossible for you to overwater that plant at the stage it's at now.
So - short answer- I don't know ;) I doubt that the training would make it all wilt- though a heavy training session can obviously make a plant look a bit thrashed. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless it stays that way.

Could the pot being too small cause an issue? I noticed that the roots are starting to grow through the pot everywhere...

Could the pot being too small cause an issue? I noticed that the roots are starting to grow through the pot everywhere...

At three gallons, your pot could be bigger. I think healthy cannabis can and will use as much space as it can get for roots. (See photo below.) That said, I can't think of how that would be causing those sagging leaves.

I'm going to guess that you are in 100% coco coir with no perlite or vermiculite added to increase drainage. I do think that that watered daily could be a problem. Coco seems pretty resistant to overwatering, but I think you could pull it off if you worked at it. ;)

I am only three weeks into my first coco grow, so I can't claim any expertise with that medium at all, but I have stunted a plant by overwatering before, so I do have experience with overwatering. :(

FWIW, I love the combination of coco coir and 30% perlite. It gives an almost fluffy, beautifully aerated medium that you can drench without worry. It just drains away the excess.

And speaking of runoff, I am struck by how nutrients build up in coco coir with repeated feedings. The advice I got was to alternate between feeding and giving just pH'd water, but I didn't like the sound of that (potential for osmotic shock, potential for periodic nutrient starvation), so remembering the orchid growers' mantra, "Fertilize weakly, weekly," I'm giving dilute nutrients, but still the runoff is in the target PPM range (about 700 PPM at this point). (If you're not familiar with orchid culture, they are often grown in bark in a manner similar to coco horticulture.)

Feeding in coco is something that I'm still kind of puzzling over. In hydroponics, you can pretty much just change out the nutrient mix every week. With coco, last week's nutrients are still in the matrix, so unless you either flush through very thoroughly with fresh nutes or use a dilute solution, nutrients build up quickly. That said, my plant is still very small. When it gets bigger and starts to suck up the snacks, overdosing will probably be less of an issue.

One more random thought (apparently I have a lot of them today): have you checked the pH of your runoff? The brick of coco that I got from Amazon was quite acidic(!?), and took a lot of washes to get to a more neutral pH. I have read about coco that has too much sodium chloride in it, too, presumably from using husks gathered on the seashore. I watched a couple of videos recently on YouTube about coir preparation in Maylasia or somewhere like that. From the looks of things, careful scientific quality control was probably not a major consideration in the manufacturing process. They was just brickin' up an agricultural byproduct for sale to us crazy pot farmers! ;)

2017-06-06_Day_78_1500_079.JPG

Root system of a 16" tall Dwarf Low Flyer that was grown hydroponically. Small plant, big root system! (For scale. that's a 4" diameter pot.)

No it shouldn't be. You can get away with a much smaller pot in coco. Here's a plant grown in roughly 15 oz of coco.
Being fed three times per day at 650 ppm (1.3 EC)

image10739.jpeg

image10747.jpeg

If your plant has only been drooping for half a day or so at the time of the first post (I think ?) we may be wasting our effort since it could be a fleeting thing.
But if it's actually turned into a serious issue then it wouldn't hurt to at least take a look at the roots I suppose. Three gallons can grow a huge plant in coco- actually I've rarely seen anyone use more than 3 gallons of coco for any plant, so it's hard to reccomend transplanting.

What is your watering schedule now?

No it shouldn't be. You can get away with a much smaller pot in coco. Here's a plant grown in roughly 15 oz of coco. Being fed three times per day.

!!! That's amazing! (And very encouraging since I'm currently growing in just a 2-gallon pot.)

Of course it looks like there was a lot of compensation for the tiny pot by feeding 3x daily, but still. Wow!

Thanks!
Well- coco is generally watered at least once a day once the plant attains a decent size/root system. But for a small pot like that one it definitely needed multiple daily waterings to keep from drying out. I rigged up a simple auto-watering system - small electric pump on a timer.

Holy crap those roots don't even look real there's so much root there I love it. Lol. Looks like what I want my plants to be like.

Then you gotta get you some HYDROPONICS, son! Lotsa mixing and measuring and toting water and fussing, but the effort to give your plant exactly what it needs pays off!

Then you gotta get you some HYDROPONICS, son! Lotsa mixing and measuring and toting water and fussing, but the effort to give your plant exactly what it needs pays off!

Guess so from the looks of those roots. Once I become a little more familiar with nutes and a good schedule I will get on that asap!

Some reason today my girls are still a little droopy but all the tops and new growth are praying up to the lights

I don't know what's wrong with them but they are still growing an inch or more every day.

Back
Top Bottom