Should I trim? Vegetative.

GreenBudtendy

Hey guys new to growing. I'm currently using two 1150 lumen led lights on the side and one 1600 on the top, low cost setup, planning to upgrade soon but the plants seem to be doing fine with it. Should I trim my lower branches? I've heard good things about it but with the side lighting is it necessary? Thanks guys.

That setup should get you through the first few weeks OK but won't be enough to get a plant through veg let alone to flower productively. I'd suggest doing the upgrade sooner rather than later if you want the plant to grow well and produce well. (If it's just a first time shakedown cruise then no hurry, but don't expect beer can size buds. ;))

I only trim leaves when a plant gets really bushy and the leaves start to block the free circulation of air and/or are completely shaded. If air can circulate and everything is getting illuminated, I leave 'em alone.

Defoliating when you get to the flowering phase is another matter...

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks scientific, generally that is what I'm picking up on but ive also heard a lot about "popcorn nugs". Do these always happen on lower branches or just with insufficient lighting?

You need lots of really bright light for big buds. "Popcorn" forms in area where there isn't enough light, like at the bottom of the plant, even in well-lit grows. You can grow cannabis with low light levels and it will flower, but the flowers never fill in and get big and dense when there isn't enough light, and by "enough" I mean 60,000 lux. (BTW you can buy a cheap lux meter at Amazon for $16 that will tell you a lot.)

Back
Top Bottom