Pro-Mix BX & a rookie grower - Any advice or suggestions?

I am in the middle of my very first grow. When preparing for it I ordered an expensive 1.5 cu. ft. bag of Foxfarm Ocean Forest. And although the four plants I am growing in it are doing well I have to wonder if there aren't other, less expensive options.

Today I was my local farm/feed/hardware store and came across a pallet of the Pro-Mix BX growing medium. I do not believe this is soil correct? Anyway, I bought a bag to give it a try. I plant to mix in about 25 to 30% perlite. I like that it has the lime in it to correct the soil ph. The bacteria seems as though it would be a great thing too. For $14.00 tax included I had to give it a shot. Any by the way, I looked this bag over head to toe and did not see a use by or expiration date anywhere.

0013538.jpg

What can you experienced guys share with a rookie? Other then feeding a plant it's regular nutrients does this product need to be amended? Look forward to hearing from you guys. And no matter what you think, or how tired you get of answering the same old questions. It is the experienced growers such as yourself who give us the confidence and inspiration to attempt this ourselves. So thank you for that!

Re: Pro-Mix BX and a Rookie grower............any advice or suggestions?

I've been using Pro-Mix HP for the past 3 years with very good results. It fits my schedule and growing style so I'm always interested in hearing how others do with this type of growing.

I was looking on their site, and it looks like the BX formula retains nutrients and water longer, but if you're mixing perlite in it may end up being more like the HP (High Porosity) version that I use. Very interested to see what your results are like.

I've been using Pro-Mix HP for the past 3 years with very good results. It fits my schedule and growing style so I'm always interested in hearing how others do with this type of growing.

I was looking on their site, and it looks like the BX formula retains nutrients and water longer, but if you're mixing perlite in it may end up being more like the HP (High Porosity) version that I use. Very interested to see what your results are like.

I have 4 seedlings in 2 gallon pots in the Pro-Mix medium. I did add about 25% perlite so it drains nicely. I'm old and retired so I would rather just give each plant a little water each day then try to remember which day I last watered them. They are automatics and are due for their first feeding (14 days above ground) on Tuesday. I will feed them a 10% strength solution of the rabbit poo tea I make. I'll let you know how they're faring.

I'm old and retired so I would rather just give each plant a little water each day then try to remember which day I last watered them.

@beez0404 - Welcome to 420 Magazine!

Sorry you got off to a rocky start there. Please allow me to open my door to you and greet you with the kindest regards. Elders are respected here and new growers are empowered. I would say that you are using the BEST nutrients and soilless medium you could buy really. Since I have a brain injury (NOT cool to make fun of someones mental health) I have gotten around my lack of experience and just kept researching this forum.

MOST of the time you will be received with open arms and daily positive growing comments. You are doing a great job from what I can tell. But unfortunately you haven't posted any pictures of your grow, thus limiting my help for you. But I'm here for the ride and I'm gonna ask my friends to see if they can help you. But we definitely need pictures before we can go any further.

You are NEVER too old to learn, because your experience in life will assist you in growing, making judgement calls, exercising patience and thus showing tolerance toward that negative. You are very welcome here and I can't wait to see what your pictures look like. Let's see if we can simplify your grow (as you previously mentioned) or at least confirm your stellar decisions you've already made.

Life is what you make of it and who you grow it with. BIG HUGS - not bugs. ;)

Beez0404, welcome to the 420 crowd.
Sir, Pro-Mix has been a staple of many beautiful grows throughout the years.
You did right by adding around 20% perlite. Makes it a great Cannabis blend on its own.
It will last an entire grow with no amendment required.
Rabbit poop tea. If it's not to salty, pour me a cup.lol
Please let me know how that works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom