1st time grower with some questions

SwAggNiFiCeNt

hey everyone, im brand spanking new to the growing arena. just wanted as much feedback as possible before i got going so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2x2.5x 6'11 gorilla grow tent
220W california light works solarflare full spectrum led
2 Hurricane inline fans (both 4")
timers and temp/rh meter
a couple clip on fans

aside from that stuff listed i dont have anything so.....my questions begin.

1) how to set up the fans eg in air at the bottom out on the top or whatever. filter on the fan etc
2) how many plants would grow comfortabllly for the whole cycle
3) some of the better seeds you would recommend (fem seeds) and wheres the best place to get them
4) materials and equipment still needed. everything from pots to soil, nutes etc etc....
5) would u just do one strain for your first grow

i had some more but i forgot.plan is to start mid aug and to start a log on here cuz i know i'll need help along the way so it would be a great way to get help along the way... but for now if you guys can give can help me out with my preliminary questions i would appreciate it..

thanks in advance everyone!!

I have quite a bit of experience go ahead and ask what you need to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge if I don't know I will do the research and find out

I have quite a bit of experience go ahead and ask what you need to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge if I don't know I will do the research and find out

if you could just start with the few questions i asked in the original post that will do for now

As for your fans that's going to be a personal preference everybody positions them and hangs them differently for best results you may want to refer to YouTube it's easier for them to show you than it is for me to explain it

As for how many plants you could run up to 4 or as many as you want depending on the size you want your plant some people run one plant for that size tent and I have seen people run four-to-six plants in those tents depending on how big they want their plant to get during veg

As for seeds your best bet is to get an unknown seed and start with that so you can get the practice as for buying seeds that's one other thing that is all on personal preference you can go to the internet and research top seed banks and top breeders and that will give you more better results than asking people of their opinion

As for things you will need other than what you've just answered in your own thing you're going to need a thermometer and humidity so you can get the humidity and temperature constantly they're going to need a timer so you can set your lights and you have one or more rooms to put these in or are you going to run autos

Pick your strain by matching it to your habitat that you're going to put it in

As for your fans that's going to be a personal preference everybody positions them and hangs them differently for best results you may want to refer to YouTube it's easier for them to show you than it is for me to explain it

As for how many plants you could run up to 4 or as many as you want depending on the size you want your plant some people run one plant for that size tent and I have seen people run four-to-six plants in those tents depending on how big they want their plant to get during veg

As for seeds your best bet is to get an unknown seed and start with that so you can get the practice as for buying seeds that's one other thing that is all on personal preference you can go to the internet and research top seed banks and top breeders and that will give you more better results than asking people of their opinion

As for things you will need other than what you've just answered in your own thing you're going to need a thermometer and humidity so you can get the humidity and temperature constantly they're going to need a timer so you can set your lights and you have one or more rooms to put these in or are you going to run autos

Pick your strain by matching it to your habitat that you're going to put it in
I have a few strains in mind. I'm too picky maybe but I wanted a balance between high thc and high yield. For number of plants I was thinking 2 or 3. But I'll wait for more feedback. I think anything over 4 is gonna be too much and I don't really wanna just grow a single plant so 2 or 3 if they're gonna grow healthy together. Don't want them suffering from being overcrowded and fighting for light.

20170622_143430_1_.jpg
20170622_123731_1_.jpg
20170622_123711_1_.jpg
20170622_123659_1_.jpg
20170622_123644_1_.jpg

I wouldn't grow anymore then 1-2 plants in there. I have a 4x2 and 2 is max for me, I use 7 gallon pots with big saucers tho. You can get a much bigger plant if give the roots room. For seeds I started with blueberry it's a fairly easy plant to grow but still teaches you at the same time. All strains have a difficulty I would say. I chose autoflower for my first grow as they are easier, my next grow I'm going photoperiod northern lights I got my seeds from 420. A 220w is pretty low so if that's all you have I would only grow 1 plant. I have 450w for each plant and I'd rather have 600 lol. You said you already have an inline fan to bring in fresh air from outside the tent that's a must. I would invest in a humidifier as veg plants will really suffer if it's not 60%+ and it's hard to keep it that high without one. I got all my grow equipment on amazon for cheap. If you care any at all about smell a carbon filter is a must. PH meter and calibration fluid is a must if you don't already have. As far as nutes go there are so many options. I started with fox farms like so many people and they aren't bad but there is better. If you want to know everything I got on amazon pm me and I'll send you a list.

Well. High yield we get 1 in a 3x3. Mainlined and scrogged it fills the space under a 600 hps. Veg is with t5ho.
You can do 4 in a turn and burn system of short veg, quick flower, but the ratio of stem and larf is much larger , decreasing your usable harvest. If you are new to growing, 1 plant and keep it simple. A successful harvest is more important than a pretty one the first few times, imho of course.

I wouldn't grow anymore then 1-2 plants in there. I have a 4x2 and 2 is max for me, I use 7 gallon pots with big saucers tho. You can get a much bigger plant if give the roots room. For seeds I started with blueberry it's a fairly easy plant to grow but still teaches you at the same time. All strains have a difficulty I would say. I chose autoflower for my first grow as they are easier, my next grow I'm going photoperiod northern lights I got my seeds from 420. A 220w is pretty low so if that's all you have I would only grow 1 plant. I have 450w for each plant and I'd rather have 600 lol. You said you already have an inline fan to bring in fresh air from outside the tent that's a must. I would invest in a humidifier as veg plants will really suffer if it's not 60%+ and it's hard to keep it that high without one. I got all my grow equipment on amazon for cheap. If you care any at all about smell a carbon filter is a must. PH meter and calibration fluid is a must if you don't already have. As far as nutes go there are so many options. I started with fox farms like so many people and they aren't bad but there is better. If you want to know everything I got on amazon pm me and I'll send you a list.
I'll take that list for sure. Tried to pm but I must not be allowed to yet

Here is a good start

Ducting

Inline duct fan for bringing in fresh air to the tent

PH Pen, one of the most important things you need. I've tried the cheap ones but they didnt work well for me

PH Pen calibration fluid, also can be used to store your ph pen in because you have to keep the tip wet

PH Up and down

Flushing solution

Rope hangers for lights

Recharge, a superfood for roots, makes them grow like crazy and can also completly restart plant growth

Cal/Mag, needed during flowering

Laser temp reader, important because the temp in a tent is not as important as the temp of the leaves in the top canopy

Carbon filter

Fabric pots, better then plastic pots as it allows more air to the roots

The lights I use "for now"

24 hour timer, important to get a 24 hour one as I have my lights on during the night " for temp reasons" and the hours go into the next day, 12 hour ones cant do that.

The nutes that I use "for now" there are better but these are a good start

At 165 watts, your "220w" LED panel is about five watts per square foot (in your five ft.² grow space) less than the minimum I'd recomend for a high-quality LED panel capable of producing intense light. I have no experience with that product, so IDK anything about its level of quality and performance. But, if it is high... I'd consider adding more light when you switch to flowering. If it is low, substantially more light.

If you are growing something you've not had previous experience with, and especially if you are growing from seed (as opposed to rooted clones from a mother), I would probably go with less plants than my gut/instinct suggests. It is quite easy for a new grower to overgrow his/her space. That can hurt production and, unlike the garden that has too few plants, lol, you'll also be fighting the lack of space when you work in there.

If you grow a plant from seed and place it into a separate space (little space and lighting is required for this for the small personal grower, as he/she does not need dozens of clones per week, every week), you can root cuttings and place them more or less directly into flower. In that scenario, you might be growing significantly more plants at a time. For example, by placing each clone into a 2-liter pop bottle, which has a diameter of 4½", you could grow compact indicas close enough together that side-branching is not needed (and is actually counterproductive), and end up with lots of "buds on sticks," lol. This can also allow the grower to have a "perpetual harvest." Say you choose an indica strain with an eight week flowering period. Each week for eight weeks you add a few clones (1/8 of the total number your space/lighting will support). After eight weeks, your grow room is full - but you are ready to harvest the first set, and replace them with a new set of clones. Every week after that, you do the same thing. Strain choice is important for something like this - no "runaway sativas." Due to the fact that you will have many plants, but they will all be short and - one assumes - of the same height (since they are clones from the same mother), training to get an even canopy is not necessary. The light need not be quite so intense, because the depth of the canopy is not great, so light does not have to penetrate as far into it. You would still want as much light as you could get, of course (up to the maximum that cannabis can process in whichever environmental conditions it is growing in), and you would want to either ensure that the lighting is even across the entire grow space... or you can reposition your plants daily. If you choose the latter, lol, at least you don't have to lift five-gallon buckets full of soil, possibly wet soil at that. I carry full 2-liter bottles of pop home from the grocery store, which is about a two mile walk; I wouldn't want to carry a full five-gallon bucket across the street.

You could also grow ONE plant in your tent. At five square feet, it wouldn't take much effort (again, especially if growing from seed). I have a plant right now that isn't in flower because, if I spread it out, it would probably take up that much room and I do not really have the space at this time. So, instead, I've been letting it... err... "self-prune" by growing into a 350-watt LED panel. Growth stops at the crunchy areas ;) . I guess I really need to do something about that. The poor plant is almost a year old <SIGH> . I was hacking bits off of it every couple weeks, rooting them in cups of soil/perlite for another couple weeks, then pretty much "guerrilla gifting" them throughout my area. <SHRUGS> Hopefully, someone has stumbled across an original Sensi Seeds Jack Herer clone - or two - and adopted it/them. If not, I suppose the rabbits/etc. feasted. But I have just about run out of soil, so that little adventure must end and I'll probably flower it pretty soon. All I need is another, IDK, five or six square feet of space and a few hundred more watts' worth of light, I guess. Hmm....

Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice, Big Bud, B-52, Overdrive Plant Fertilizer Booster Enhancer Hobbyist Bundle, 250ml/8.4 oz
is this 250ml package gonna be enough??

Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra Plant Nutrient, 1L

Real Growers Recharge (8oz)

Hydroponics Calibration Solution Test Kit pH 4.0 & 7.0 - For Precise pH Indicator Perfect For Food Processing, Aquariums, Pools - Calibrate pH Meters - Use With pH Probe - Pack of 2 (4oz Bottles)

++++++EVERYTHING ABOVE++++++ .........im ready to pull the trigger on ordering those...any advice or feedback on the products would be appreciated

+++++++
General Hydroponics FloraKleen QT - Mineral Salt Clearing Solution

gonna try looking for this in advanced nutrients if i can. not sure if keeping the same brand matters any

General Hydroponics GH1514 General Hydroponics Ph Control Kit

also gonna try to find this in advanced nutrients

Phresh Filter 4 in x 12 in 200 CFM - 701003

pretty sure this is what i'll end up ordering
+++++++ this stuff im still looking into and as usual any help is appreciated

VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower

very tempting for that price

California Light Works Solar Flare 220w LED Grow Light (Full Cycle)

this is what i have to start with

ph meter...im still looking around for
pots or canvas sac...still debating
soil is something i also need feedback on.

Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice, Big Bud, B-52, Overdrive Plant Fertilizer Booster Enhancer Hobbyist Bundle, 250ml/8.4 oz
is this 250ml package gonna be enough??

Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra Plant Nutrient, 1L

Real Growers Recharge (8oz)

Hydroponics Calibration Solution Test Kit pH 4.0 & 7.0 - For Precise pH Indicator Perfect For Food Processing, Aquariums, Pools - Calibrate pH Meters - Use With pH Probe - Pack of 2 (4oz Bottles)

++++++EVERYTHING ABOVE++++++ .........im ready to pull the trigger on ordering those...any advice or feedback on the products would be appreciated

+++++++
General Hydroponics FloraKleen QT - Mineral Salt Clearing Solution

gonna try looking for this in advanced nutrients if i can. not sure if keeping the same brand matters any

General Hydroponics GH1514 General Hydroponics Ph Control Kit

also gonna try to find this in advanced nutrients

Phresh Filter 4 in x 12 in 200 CFM - 701003

pretty sure this is what i'll end up ordering
+++++++ this stuff im still looking into and as usual any help is appreciated

VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower

very tempting for that price

California Light Works Solar Flare 220w LED Grow Light (Full Cycle)

this is what i have to start with

ph meter...im still looking around for
pots or canvas sac...still debating
soil is something i also need feedback on.

I made my own soil from my local nursery store and its working great. But this stuff below in the link ive heard is amazing, and it says you never need to add nutes! Idk havent tried it yet, maybe ill make a thread about it. My next grow is going to be in coco coir, have you looked into that? That 600w LED is a beast and you will get a great harvest using that! Also with that carbon filter do you already have an inline fan to suck the air out? Remember you also need a fan to bring fresh air in.

Kind Soil "Hot Soil" single 5 lb. Bag

I made my own soil from my local nursery store and its working great. But this stuff below in the link ive heard is amazing, and it says you never need to add nutes! Idk havent tried it yet, maybe ill make a thread about it. My next grow is going to be in coco coir, have you looked into that? That 600w LED is a beast and you will get a great harvest using that! Also with that carbon filter do you already have an inline fan to suck the air out? Remember you also need a fan to bring fresh air in.

Kind Soil "Hot Soil" single 5 lb. Bag
I have 2 hurricane inline fans. The filter is gonna be 4x12. I think that's a good enough size. Either have it on the ground or most likely hang it up top inside. I was thinking to do a grow with this led I have since I got it with everything else. Not sure why it's expensive compared to some other brands. The kind ones are also really expensive. I don't know enough to know which is better.

Back
Top Bottom