Introduction and help

orangepony79

420 Member
Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster. Wanted to introduce myself before asking some questions. Friends call me Rog, and that'll do here. Pleased to meet you.

This is my third crop, first two were dwc, 1000 Mh/Hps, in a small tent. First one went horrible, second one better, and I'm doing much better than before with this one. I'm doing it much differently and the details are below. MODERATORS please move to appropriate page if needed.

Details:
Crop king seeds Purple Kush @ OG Cali Kush X Amnesia Haze

Popped ten seeds, 5 of each and set them up in jiffy pots. I struggled with soil until I did some homework and some amending. Little over watering and too much love at the beginning but I worked that all out.

Transplant to larger pot harden off. More issues. Soil related.
Current soil is promix organic vegetable mix, fafard 3 n 1, perlite, sphagnum peat moss, dolomite lime and a slew of ph problems. First time in soil and I like the results, but it's a little harder to manage, as I prefer the ease of dwc, and my next grow will be in a RDWC by alien hydroponics, crazy expensive, but I like the ease. Any way, I flushed my soil mad, for like three cycles over a week, and finally got my run off water in the target ph. Since flushing my organic soil, I've been using house and garden aqua flakes a and b, drip clean, and 1/4 strength cal-mag by botanicaire.

They've had feedings before but this is the most steady and recent info since I got my ph in check.

I think I've ironed out most of the problems, however I suspect my ph is off after my feeding of the above nutes at 750ppm, ph 6.6.

They've started they're first week of flower and get full sun in niagara wine country. I can't change the rest of Mother Nature but I keep them out of the strong winds. Temps are sometimes high.

I kept the best two the the PK is the taller one with the obvious purple stem lines.

Please critique me in a positive manner because in all honesty negativity isn't help and you can go troll some one else. I appreciate your comments in all regards.

Here's a few pics, there is some holes in leaves, dying yellows I've pinched a few dead ones off already, mostly from the bottom. My feed schedule says not to add flower formula bud xl until week 4.
But my plants look strange and I'm not sure exactly what's happening, am I finally recovering from my issues and lockouts and this is good, or have I created more problems to address. My next feeding will be a mild solution to test ph run off and if it's good, I'll mix up a 3/4 batch 750-800 ( my meter is times 500 not 700) and the feed schedule says I should be around 900-1000. I know the pk can't take full strength as I've seen burn results in my first grow. Mentioned above.

Here's some pics, steer me in the right direction please.
420-magazine-mobile930912200.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1822541693.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2069597483.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1586569809.jpg
420-magazine-mobile951263766.jpg

These ones are pk, and the next ones og-Cali

420-magazine-mobile1373904184.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1885220128.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2128956249.jpg
420-magazine-mobile450989390.jpg
420-magazine-mobile895015533.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1397942853.jpg

So I know I've had some issues along the way but I'm hoping I can pinpoint the ones that are crucial and get moving. The PK has started her asymmetrical growth signalling the flowering stage has begun.
I'll mark this is the beginning of week 2 due to the growth on the PK.

I have a x60 scope loop to check for ripe when the time comes. But I wanna get there.

Thanks for your help guys.

Purple Kush by crop king
OG Cali Kush X Amnesia Haze by crop king

Not sure pot size, biggest I could get for cost vs size.
Soil promix organic vegetable with local 3-1 from the nursery, dolomitic lime and sphagnum peat, I've learned to balance them but it was crazy hard. Dealing with fluctuations but trying to stay on top of it. It seems to have steadied out. I'll have more info after my run off test.

House and garden nutes, a and b aquaflakes, drip clean, and cal mag.
Full sun, niagara region they get rain sheltered under and awning during heavy rain to eliminate ph sway with the water I'm mixing my nutes with. Pots could be bigger, but there they are side by side.
420-magazine-mobile1065077697.jpg

420-magazine-mobile453680890.jpg

Re: Introduction

I also tried to FIM these plants but I'm not sure it worked or not, still seems to be one main stem growing but the Cali Kush is also bushier by genetics. Maybe you can tell me if the FIM took on either plant. It's quite possible that I didn't cut the right spot.

Also if you need any additional info please ask.

Hey Orange, welcome to 420. Glad to have you here. Some great information that you posted and thank you. I highly recommend you transfer that information to an actual grow journal where it can be seen by more people. (you are in the 'introduce yourself' section and not everyone checks this area out). If you have any questions about that or getting around the site, please feel free to ask, someone here will be sure to help.

Honestly I don't think you need to worry about much negative criticism here. This place is one of the remaining places on the internet where virtually all interaction is positive and encouraging. Someone might offer you advice or a tip or point out something that they may think you should be concerned about, but you will rarely if ever get trolls or negative people here. The moderators don't allow them to stay around. Its one of the reasons this place is so great.

As for your FIMMING question, I really can't tell based on your pictures. When you FIM, your main top will still be there, along with the two new tops that will sprout up. So, unlike topping you will have 3 tops instead of just the new two tops. Unfortunately, I don't know where you tried FIMMING so I can't tell if you did it correctly.

Anyways, welcome again to 420 and happy growing!

Golly that's a pretty plant! It's so nice to see a healthy, natural cannabis plant that hasn't been trimmed and trained and otherwise subjugated.

That said (and I hate to say it, since it runs so contrary to the aesthetics), if that plant had been topped and then given given some low stress training, I think it would yield a lot more.

But I love your Christmas tree! :thumb:

Thanks. I did attempt to FIM these plants, however i dont think i cut off enough of the new growth, and only ended up damaging the fan leaves that grew on that node. I like the au natural look too, and even though my FIM failed, im happy with the way its reaching for the sun. They are back yard plants, and i only took the photo inside to eliminate the glares from the sun.

Ive got a 9 pot alien hydro xl system im looking forward to trying these genes in, i thought I'd do and outdoor run for baseline testing. I know ill get better results, but that's why im baselining. I kinda feel silly the FIM didnt take, and by the time I realized it, it was too late to FIM again, too much vertical growth had passed. Im going to simply top them next time around, and try FIMing ne or two until i get the hang of it.

I don't understand the appeal of FIMing. I cut right down to the base of the growth and take all of the plant tissue off. That sends the plant a very clear message about what to do next!

I don't understand the appeal of FIMing. I cut right down to the base of the growth and take all of the plant tissue off. That sends the plant a very clear message about what to do next!

Well if done right, three new tops is appealing to other people, especially if its the first topping/FIMMING. Now I admit it isn't an attractive technique when recovering from the FIM. The leaves are ugly and the plant looses much of its beauty. But that fades shortly after all the new growth takes over and you can simply cut the ugly leaves off. Like much of training with cannabis, its all about personal preference. Do what you like, leave what you don't like.

Well if done right, three new tops is appealing to other people, especially if its the first topping/FIMMING. Now I admit it isn't an attractive technique when recovering from the FIM. The leaves are ugly and the plant looses much of its beauty. But that fades shortly after all the new growth takes over and you can simply cut the ugly leaves off. Like much of training with cannabis, its all about personal preference. Do what you like, leave what you don't like.

So... you can reliably pinch off just part of the growth and consistently get three new tops where once there was just one?

So... you can reliably pinch off just part of the growth and consistently get three new tops where once there was just one?

Yes, hence the appeal of the FIM. Topping your plant in the traditional sense will produce a Y on your main stalk. Producing a second primary stalk. FIM is the same principle but has been known to produce more than 1 Main stalk, effectively and consistently creating up to four Main stalks. This allows your plant to create as many Main flower sites as you have created "extra stalks". Usually an increase in yield, bud size, and even density have all been reported pretty consistently when using the FIM technique.

I just didn't take off enough growth, and ended up damaging the fan leaves on that node, rather than producing the desired results of the FIM. However it t was good experience and I know where to cut or pinch for next time.

Please follow my journal, I'm not getting answers but am appreciative of the comments about my plants.

Yes, hence the appeal of the FIM. Topping your plant in the traditional sense will produce a Y on your main stalk. Producing a second primary stalk. FIM is the same principle but has been known to produce more than 1 Main stalk, effectively and consistently creating up to four Main stalks. This allows your plant to create as many Main flower sites as you have created "extra stalks". Usually an increase in yield, bud size, and even density have all been reported pretty consistently when using the FIM technique.

I just didn't take off enough growth, and ended up damaging the fan leaves on that node, rather than producing the desired results of the FIM. However it t was good experience and I know where to cut or pinch for next time.

Please follow my journal, I'm not getting answers but am appreciative of the comments about my plants.

Can you post a link to your journal, I would love to follow along and watch you do your thing

You must be using the app huh? I will try to find it. I guess you used to be able to put signatures in the app but something changed with that around the April or May time frame this year.

Back
Top Bottom