Can I feed right after I've done a flush?

You do realize that "flushing" is kind of hard on the plant, right? Maybe instead just feed until you have runoff and measure that?

To answer your question, there is no reason that you can't feed after a flush. In fact, if you really flushed, your plant is probably hungry.

You do realize that "flushing" is kind of hard on the plant, right? Maybe instead just feed until you have runoff and measure that?

To answer your question, there is no reason that you can't feed after a flush. In fact, if you really flushed, your plant is probably hungry.

I thought feeding my plant in a five gal bucket w/ basic soil would provide me w/ the needed runoff to measure pH. I was wrong. Since I was using distilled water @ $.88/gal, I wanted to try running my well water through @ free through the soil to get my runoff for a pH test. I just wasn't sure if that had to count as a watering and leave it at that until a feeding or if I could feed right after flushing.

I don't understand why a plant flushing would be stressful, since it's like a watering w/ more water than needed, in which the excess will simply drain out the bottom.

PS-I don't allow the runoff to touch the bottom of the bucket.

Maybe we're just using different dictionaries. ;) "Flushing" to me (and I think generally) refers to flooding a plant with water so as to flush away the nutrients, either never to be replaced (before harvest), to remove toxic excess, or before switching to a new feeding regimen (which I do not recommend at all). I think what you're calling "flushing" might better be described as "watering."

As a rule, we do best to just give the plant the nutrients, water, light, and air it needs and to otherwise leave it alone. Flushing, hydrogen peroxide treatments, high colonic irrigation, etc. seemingly in search of some magic enhancement to the growing process does more harm than good.

Maybe we're just using different dictionaries. ;) "Flushing" to me (and I think generally) refers to flooding a plant with water so as to flush away the nutrients, either never to be replaced (before harvest), to remove toxic excess, or before switching to a new feeding regimen (which I do not recommend at all). I think what you're calling "flushing" might better be described as "watering."

As a rule, we do best to just give the plant the nutrients, water, light, and air it needs and to otherwise leave it alone. Flushing, hydrogen peroxide treatments, high colonic irrigation, etc. seemingly in search of some magic enhancement to the growing process does more harm than good.

I'm sorry, Scientific, I failed to mention in my last post, that when I fed my plant with a gal of distilled water mixed w/ my nutes, that I would produce runoff to measure pH, just to see where it is landing. A gallon wasn't enough to produce anything more than a fart out the bottom.

It wasn't so much that I wanted to flush it, I just wanted to use enough of another source of water(free well water) to produce the run off I need so I can read the pH.

I should also point out that this plant is in its final pot w/ its final soil, all the way through harvest. It also has long since lost the nutes that came in the soil mixture.

"You do realize that "flushing" is kind of hard on the plant, right? Maybe instead just feed until you have runoff and measure that?"

I still don't understand why a plant flushing would be stressful, since it's like a watering w/ more water than needed, in which the excess will simply drain out the bottom.

Anyway, I apologize for the error in syntax, and I await your wisdom, sir.

I still don't understand why a plant flushing would be stressful, since it's like a watering w/ more water than needed, in which the excess will simply drain out the bottom.

Anyway, I apologize for the error in syntax, and I await your wisdom, sir.

Wisdom is in short supply, but opinions are always readily available.

Truly flushing is likely to be stressful because it leaves the plant with no nutrients and just water, which can cause osmotic stress (that is, the concentration of nutrients in the media is low) and pH stress. No nutes and wrong pH is bad, getting to that state quickly is worse. That's the shock part.

Of course pot is a hardy weed and can put up with all sorts of abuse, but what we're trying to do is to give them the ideal growing conditions, not batting their environment around from one extreme to the other.

My particular preachment is for the folks who seem to feel that flushing is good for the plant because it removes "toxins" or "resets" it or I don't know what.

I think it was Nebula Haze who said that a plant needs food, light, water, and peace, and I'm with her.

OK, end of rant.

I guess I'll never understand if there are merits or caveats to flushing since indoor/outdoor plant owners the world over give their greenery nothing but water on a regular basis.:high-five:

I guess I'll never understand if there are merits or caveats to flushing since indoor/outdoor plant owners the world over give their greenery nothing but water on a regular basis.:high-five:

Maybe we're just using different dictionaries. "Flushing" to me (and I think generally) refers to flooding a plant with water so as to flush away the nutrients, either never to be replaced (before harvest), to remove toxic excess, or before switching to a new feeding regimen (which I do not recommend at all). I think what you're calling "flushing" might better be described as "watering."

OK, that's it for me on this one. Happy farming!

I thought feeding my plant in a five gal bucket w/ basic soil would provide me w/ the needed runoff to measure pH. I was wrong. Since I was using distilled water @ $.88/gal, I wanted to try running my well water through @ free through the soil to get my runoff for a pH test. I just wasn't sure if that had to count as a watering and leave it at that until a feeding or if I could feed right after flushing.

I don't understand why a plant flushing would be stressful, since it's like a watering w/ more water than needed, in which the excess will simply drain out the bottom.

PS-I don't allow the runoff to touch the bottom of the bucket.

Flushing can be stressful because if a true flushing, enough water runs thru to strip the soil of any unused nutrients along with the salts and imbalance a flush is meant to address. That leaves the plant no food until it drys out again and is fed. It can stunt new growth for a short time as it takes the plant out of its groove and it reacts out of self-preservation.

If a flush was truly needed, the stress is worth it in the big picture, making it a stronger plant in the long run.

It's hard to know how to adequately answer your questions without knowing why you flushed... what problem were you addressing?

Often the answers aren't nearly as important as knowing the right questions to ask. For myself, reading everything I can find from multiple sources on the many different topics and issues relevant to growing cannabis has made all the difference. The more I read, the more I realize what I don't know.

Flushing can be stressful because if a true flushing, enough water runs thru to strip the soil of any unused nutrients along with the salts and imbalance a flush is meant to address. That leaves the plant no food until it drys out again and is fed. It can stunt new growth for a short time as it takes the plant out of its groove and it reacts out of self-preservation.

If a flush was truly needed, the stress is worth it in the big picture, making it a stronger plant in the long run.

It's hard to know how to adequately answer your questions without knowing why you flushed... what problem were you addressing?

Often the answers aren't nearly as important as knowing the right questions to ask. For myself, reading everything I can find from multiple sources on the many different topics and issues relevant to growing cannabis has made all the difference. The more I read, the more I realize what I don't know.
Amen..

Yes you can feed right after doing a flush, but why are you flushing in soil?

If you are flushing soil to clear built up chemical salts from the media and to give a final push of nutes to finish flowering then that’s reasonable. No reason to starve a plant that’s trying to finish up, that would be counterproductive - right?

If flushing to improve taste or to remove nutes from your bud..... that myth has long been busted. See this link for more info InTheShed No flush

So if you suspect that your soil has long lost its nutrients.... why would flushing more water thru help anything?

Measuring ppm or ph of runoff gets you no useful info. When you water to runoff chemical salts and fine sediments come out in the wash, the numbers are skewed higher because of this. Then if you adjust your input ph or ppm to change what you incorrectly perceive as a problem.... you can chase that rabbit all day or week and still get nowhere. The only way to measure soil ph is a slurry test.

Come on fellas, this is a legit question.
Hey brotha sorry idk the answer to your question I’m also looking for the answer, some of my plants are nearing the end of their flowering stage & I’m going to flush soon but I’m not rlly sure when, how or if I’m supposed to feed them afterwords. What I can offer you is that I’ve heard leaving your plants in 24 hours of darkness before picking your fruit makes it a lot more potent. Hope that kinda helps but I’m mostly here to say that I feel your pain on not getting questions answered. I opened a insta page for my plants a little bit ago and I found that the community is actually really great and they love to help. If you could show some support too or maybe I’ll be able to answer a question because “lots to learn lots to share” applies to everyone. My @ is @here_i_grow_420 I hope you find your answers somewhere

Hey man, what happened was the user ahead of me replied to a post that was 3 years old. I saw his comment and jumped in without noticing the dates. it’s called grave digging where old post are reopened

You can flush the soil but you can’t wash nutes out of your bud. It doesn’t work that way, the plant takes up what it takes up, and no amount of washing the soil, roots or grow media will change that. But if you choose to flush then yes you should resume feeding until the chop - no reason to starve a plant that’s building buds.

48 hours of dark, put a big wood screw thru the trunk, flush with ice water... these get repeated often

I have to disagree with you on the Peroxide Treatments. It's not something that you do all the time; but it does no harm & supplies Oxygen to the roots at the same time. I only use this if I get a gnat issue though as it helps kill the larva.
I agree with you on the definition of Flushing though. A 5 gallon pot will take 15 gallons of water to Flush it. I see no reason to flush unless you get a toxicity. However, I do still flush 1 time the final week of flower; but I don't feed after the flush. She gets nothing for a week & then I chop. I'm old school on that. I still think the weed is much smoother to smoke when you flush at the end.

Hey man, what happened was the user ahead of me replied to a post that was 3 years old. I saw his comment and jumped in without noticing the dates. it’s called grave digging where old post are reopened

You can flush the soil but you can’t wash nutes out of your bud. It doesn’t work that way, the plant takes up what it takes up, and no amount of washing the soil, roots or grow media will change that. But if you choose to flush then yes you should resume feeding until the chop - no reason to starve a plant that’s building buds.

48 hours of dark, put a big wood screw thru the trunk, flush with ice water... these get repeated often
I like to starve (no water) it for 2-3 days, sometimes in the dark as well. At the very least, chop before lights on in the morning and the terps degrade.

But for the love of god, before you flush (not you @013 ) make sure you even need to. Chances are you don’t need to and not only will it not help anything, it will short your final yield. Feed it til the end, it will decide when it’s had enough, and it will leave the rest.

Back
Top Bottom