Late Start - Need Some Advice Please - Should I Continue Grow? Pics

ChinaRyder

Hey there guys/gals. Hope all is well. I have been visiting this forum for a while now, but haven't found it necessary to post, however I would really appreciate some advice as to whether or not it makes sense to continue this grow (my first)? These forums have been such an amazing resource filled with literally a ton of great information, and I thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have always had great luck with the search button, but I need help with this.

I was given a bunch of bag seeds that came from a Blue Dream plant, and decided to attempt to cultivate my own. It's a long story, and I'll spare you the drama as to why, but my seedlings are only between 1-3 weeks old as of today, July 25 (pics attached). They are in clay pots/Solo cups with FFOG soil, and some additional perlite. Clay pots and cups have about 1-2 inches of perlite I have kept these outside since day 1, and I would really prefer not to have to bring them inside to finish. I live just outside of Baltimore, Maryland in zone 7a.

So my question is, is it going to be possible to harvest any flower from these plants, or is it just too late? If it's possible, what's the best way to get there? I don't wan't to invest time or money (like buying smart pots) in a fruitless quest to grow something that the plant isn't even capable of.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Your plants look great. By all means they should be worth investing the time and money to take them the rest of the way.

BTW, you can post here directly (which is preferred) by clicking the "Gallery" tab and then "Upload photos."

Scientific, thanks for that, I really appreciate you taking your time to read my post and respond. Any idea about minimum yield per plant? Also, since my veg cycle is cut short, can I put multiple plants in the same container? If you have ANY suggestions, I'm all ears.

I attempted to edit the above post per your instructions, but I cannot figure out how to locate "gallery." It might be because I'm a fairly new member, and that was my first post, but it's unclear to me. I always go the "preferred" way if I can.

Maybe you're using the app and not a web browser? I don't know how to upload from the app. Gallery is a black tab at the top of the page on the browser.

Just for good measure, your images aren't rendering anymore. :p.

The big thing for an outside grow at this point is going to be to get them full sun all day long. If you can do that, you should be in pretty good shape. If they're only going to get the sun peering through the trees off and on then your results will not be great.

Not many ever have perfect growing conditions, so you do the best you can with what you've got. Get everything in big pots. You have good soil. Pay careful attention to watering (let the pots dry out a knuckle deep first) and fertilizing as needed. Learn about trimming and training and do that. Keep a log.

Then cross your fingers and hope for the best. If nothing else, you can learn a lot on one grow and apply it to the next to good effect.

Good luck and have fun! :)

To post a picture in the app, first click this button:
420-magazine-mobile1656596250.jpg

And this page opens. Then click this button to open your gallery:
420-magazine-mobile130543516.jpg

Again, the plants look great!

But the will need to be repotted soon to prevent stunting them. I'm sure the roots on the bigger plants have already hit the bottom and are starting to circle.

Many thanks Scientific. They were only transplanted a few days ago, so I hope roots are fine. What size container would you recommend? Can I put multiple plants in one container?

Is there anything that I can do to increase the yields as far as extra or supplemental nutrients, or some type of training?

Thanks so much!!

Many thanks Scientific. They were only transplanted a few days ago, so I hope roots are fine. What size container would you recommend? Can I put multiple plants in one container?

Is there anything that I can do to increase the yields as far as extra or supplemental nutrients, or some type of training?

Thanks so much!!

Pot size? Ideally a 100 gallon air pot! ;) Failing that, at least five gallons for each plant. I like 20% perlite for optimal drainage.

The best way to maximize yield isn't magical supplements but really nailing the basics: bright sun from dawn to sunset, great soil (I think I remember you have Fox Farms(?) so you're good there), correct watering, and a balanced fertilizing regimen at the correct concentration. Look up "low stress training" ("LST") and other training techniques (e.g. topping) here and at YouTube for more info on training. It does really help.

But the sine qua non is many hours of bright sunlight and good soil.

I agree with Scientific, I had mine in pots that size and at 4 weeks started to have difficulties so I repotted in 5 gal cloth pots. the amount of root growth exposed on the outside of the dirt ball was surprise. They've added about another inch in the week since repotting.

Again, the plants look great!

But the will need to be repotted soon to prevent stunting them. I'm sure the roots on the bigger plants have already hit the bottom and are starting to circle.

I agree with Scientific, I had mine in pots that size and at 4 weeks started to have difficulties so I repotted in 5 gal cloth pots. the amount of root growth exposed on the outside of the dirt ball was surprise. They've added about another inch in the week since repotting.

I have a Mammoth sunflower growing in a two-gallon pot on my deck. It grew to five feet tall and has a pretty flower 5" across, but I know that if it wasn't limited by the pot size, like the ones out in the garden, it would be twice as big. Even with daily attention, it's really hard to overcome the limitations of a too-small pot. (And at the other end of the spectrum, have a look at some of Jorge Cervante's videos of plants in giant pots in outdoor grows. Mind boggling!)

They may yield a small amount, but you don't want to spend time or money according to you, so even that is probably out of the question. You get out oif them what you put into them. Growing cannabis takes A LOT more than throwing a seed in the dirt and watering it. You have seedlings, in a week or two they'll become rootbound and growth will slow, right when they should be flowering.

If your growing season is short. Which I think Maryland has. Look into Light Dep. Figure out a way to cover so no light gets in and they are protected from night time lows. Blue Dream is a fairly late flowering strain. A cover should give you the time needed to finish before temps get to low. These can be built with PVC pipe and a good tarp.

If your growing season is short. Which I think Maryland has. Look into Light Dep. Figure out a way to cover so no light gets in and they are protected from night time lows. Blue Dream is a fairly late flowering strain. A cover should give you the time needed to finish before temps get to low. These can be built with PVC pipe and a good tarp.

California Plants have already started to transition, I can't see plants in Maryland not doing the same already. OP's plants are seedlings, there will be no real veg before flower. He stated he does not want to devote time or money, but he's up against the photo-period, and you are correct BD is a 10-12 week finisher.

California Plants have already started to transition, I can't see plants in Maryland not doing the same already. OP's plants are seedlings, there will be no real veg before flower. He stated he does not want to devote time or money, but he's up against the photo-period, and you are correct BD is a 10-12 week finisher.

In LA and Bethesda they're still getting 14 hours of light a day. I would have thought that would sustain veg growth. But I'm an autoflower guy so what do I know? Maybe it is too late.

Still, if in doubt, I like to go for it.

At the other end of the growing season spectrum, here's the Dwarf Low Flyer that I planted outdoors on the last day of last winter. The harvest yield was .07 gram. You can only push the limits of the growing season so far. ;)

2017-05-25_Day_72_0903_003.JPG

Back
Top Bottom