Filtering water to lower ppm?

HigherTheHigh

hello all!

i read somewhere this morning if you filter water through a carbon filter it can make the water more pure.

is this true?

i have a 4 inch carbon filter i could use but i dont want to pretty much break it or ruin it if its not going to do anything.

does anyone have an idea on how many ppm distilled water is?

the reason im asking all of this is because my tap water is 85 ppm and id like it even lower while im flushing.

oppinions are very welcome as i find this quite intresting.

It might if it is chorine or organic particles that you are removing, it would have to flow through it at a slower rate to be the very effective. If it is fairly new you might even get a spike in ppm caused by the carbon particles alone. At 85 ppm I doubt it would have any effect on the plant(s). What ever it is that your trying to remove, the plant likely will not uptake much of it at all.
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

I use RODI water that I make by running city (chloramine) water through a prefilter, two carbon blocks, two ro blocks and then two blocks of DI resin.

It's 0ppm water, blocks are replaced every 6 mos, ro blocks yearly.

Depending on source water, you can have chlorine, chloramine in your water, new carbon can remove these things. If your on a well, you prob have a lot of co2 in the water, chloramine and co2 eat industrial carbon blocks quickly.

Most carbon filters in consumer type appliances (breta, ice filters, tap water filters) are effective for less than about 2 weeks on chloramine when used on a constantly pressurized system. Pour through systems will always test positive for chloramine and are useless.

So, unless its done right, it's not worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom