Frankenbox CFL grow update

Mrblunts420

17 days old looking great I have done my first topping starting to get alot of noticable root growth on the top part of soil not sure if that is good or bad.. should i add some more soil to the top of container to cover exposed roots?
20170806_113447_HDR.jpg
20170805_235642_HDR.jpg

20170807_134142_HDR.jpg
20170805_235521_HDR.jpg

the only concern i have is the droopiness of the bottom leafs . im goin to be transfering this girl in about 1-1 1/2 weeks to a 1 gal. if yall see anything that does not look correct with my grow please let me know :Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:

im goin to be transfering this girl in about 1-1 1/2 weeks to a 1 gal. if yall see anything that does not look correct with my grow please let me know

You need to be transferring that girl to a bigger pot tomorrow. (I'm sure your tap root has started looping the bottom of the pot.)

She looks good but overwatered, which may explain the leaf droop.

What are you growing in? 20% perlite will help drainage.

You need to be transferring that girl to a bigger pot tomorrow. (I'm sure your tap root has started looping the bottom of the pot.)

She looks good but overwatered, which may explain the leaf droop.

What are you growing in? 20% perlite will help drainage.
Thanks Scientific! My medium is FFOF... I'm using a 3.25" square pot how often should I be watering?

Thanks Scientific! My medium is FFOF... I'm using a 3.25" square pot how often should I be watering?

FFOF = good. :) I think many folks cut that with perlite for better drainage and aeration (something I'm super big on at the moment--I've got religion! ;))

The rule of thumb, or rule of finger, it to let the soil dry about one knuckle deep. As one on the gurus here told me, "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet."

Your fast-growing little plant must be dying to get out of that 3.25" straight jacket. That may very well arleady be contributing to droopiness, and next up right quick it will be causing stunting...

FFOF = good. :) I think many folks cut that with perlite for better drainage and aeration (something I'm super big on at the moment--I've got religion! ;))

The rule of thumb, or rule of finger, it to let the soil dry about one knuckle deep. As one on the gurus here told me, "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet."

Your fast-growing little plant must be dying to get out of that 3.25" straight jacket. That may very well arleady be contributing to droopiness, and next up right quick it will be causing stunting...
I'm going to be hitting up local hydro store to check out pots . as of right now I'm in the 3.25" and have a 3 gal to transplant in. I need to get at least 2-3 1 gal pots since I have 3 seeds germin right now.
Are you familiar with SCrogs, I will be putting one together soon just wondering if you knew of the best line to use?

I'm going to be hitting up local hydro store to check out pots . as of right now I'm in the 3.25" and have a 3 gal to transplant in. I need to get at least 2-3 1 gal pots since I have 3 seeds germin right now.
Are you familiar with SCrogs, I will be putting one together soon just wondering if you knew of the best line to use?

I'm not a scrogger (yet--lots of stuff I still want to try, and that's right up there). One thought is line that's not so fine as to potentially cut into delicate new growth. (I just had a wire twist-tie-type line cut deeply into a sunflower leaf. The same stuff works fine for mature, fibrous cannabis branches but is bad news on tender new growth.)

I told you that I have got aeration religion--O2 to the roots!. As such I'd strongly recommend picking up air pots (with aeration holes, often grossly overpriced) or cloth grow bags.

Hey mate scientific is bang on with the over watering comment, remember the longer you leave those girls in them pots the more stressed out they get as they become root bound. Take into consideration the transplant shock they will experience once you repot them into a bigger pot. A already stressed plant will take longer to recover from transplant shock in a current stressed condition, also make sure u add some perlite or even a clay pebble base in the bottom of the new pots before you put in your new soil. This is will create a perfect escape for excess water. In regards to how many times you should be watering I always used to lift the pots daily until they felt light and then water them. A heavy pot is a pot with more than enough water so don't be tempted to water them just because the tops of the soil appears dry.
These ladies will be just fine any way, there's not much your doing wrong any way bro so it's all good

Hey mate scientific is bang on with the over watering comment, remember the longer you leave those girls in them pots the more stressed out they get as they become root bound. Take into consideration the transplant shock they will experience once you repot them into a bigger pot. A already stressed plant will take longer to recover from transplant shock in a current stressed condition, also make sure u add some perlite or even a clay pebble base in the bottom of the new pots before you put in your new soil. This is will create a perfect escape for excess water. In regards to how many times you should be watering I always used to lift the pots daily until they felt light and then water them. A heavy pot is a pot with more than enough water so don't be tempted to water them just because the tops of the soil appears dry.
These ladies will be just fine any way, there's not much your doing wrong any way bro so it's all good
So I just picked up some 1 gal but financially not able to get any perlite or clay balls. Would y'all know of a different alternative

When should I transplant I'm about 35min into light cycle should I do it in the beginning of the cycle or closer to lights off?

When should I transplant I'm about 35min into light cycle should I do it in the beginning of the cycle or closer to lights off?

Don't sweat the small stuff or overthink it too much Mr B. We're babying our plants and tending to their every need to maximize yield, but ultimately we're just growing weeds.

The important thing with transplanting is to do it quickly and cleanly with a minimum of trauma to the plant, especially the roots.

Don't sweat the small stuff or overthink it too much Mr B. We're babying our plants and tending to their every need to maximize yield, but ultimately we're just growing weeds.

The important thing with transplanting is to do it quickly and cleanly with a minimum of trauma to the plant, especially the roots.
Lol true true... Its my first grow.
Since I couldn't pick up any perlite or clay pellets or an aeropot like I wanted to but I was thinking about what if I drilled holes thought the 1 gal pot from the inside out so it was perforated so that itwould work like an aeropot to allow more oxygen in and allow it to air prune the roots?

I'm not a scrogger (yet--lots of stuff I still want to try, and that's right up there). One thought is line that's not so fine as to potentially cut into delicate new growth. (I just had a wire twist-tie-type line cut deeply into a sunflower leaf. The same stuff works fine for mature, fibrous cannabis branches but is bad news on tender new growth.)

I told you that I have got aeration religion--O2 to the roots!. As such I'd strongly recommend picking up air pots (with aeration holes, often grossly overpriced) or cloth grow bags.

Hi there are you familiar with felt pots? They are all the rage here in NZ. I have two of them and am going to try them next go around...the plants I have growing now are just starting to show their Pistals... Very exciting... They are0plants from BagSeed so I have no idea the strain....I just know that it smoked well....eeeewww !

Lol true true... Its my first grow.
Since I couldn't pick up any perlite or clay pellets or an aeropot like I wanted to but I was thinking about what if I drilled holes thought the 1 gal pot from the inside out so it was perforated so that itwould work like an aeropot to allow more oxygen in and allow it to air prune the roots?

I thought about doing that myself. No reason it shouldn't work, and it saves you the ridiculously high price of an air pot.

Or just double-bag a couple of old pillow cases? That one I've read about and would love to see in use. ;)

Here's my homebrew air pot--leftover half inch hardware cloth with a burlap coffee bag liner. Works.

2017-05-31_Day_1_2100_006.JPG
2017-08-05_Day_67-2_002.JPG

I thought about doing that myself. No reason it shouldn't work, and it saves you the ridiculously high price of an air pot.

Or just double-bag a couple of old pillow cases? That one I've read about and would love to see in use. ;)

Here's my homebrew air pot--leftover half inch hardware cloth with a burlap coffee bag liner. Works.

2017-05-31_Day_1_2100_006.JPG
2017-08-05_Day_67-2_002.JPG
Damn... What was the equivalent pot size... What's the strain? Nutes? Looks. what did you pull off of it? In/outdoor ...what was your set up . she is beautiful.. If she is still growing how old?

Thanks! She's getting there...

That's a Dwarf Low Flyer in two gallons of coco coir with 20% perlite.
Nutes are General Hydroponics FloraSeries with CALiMAGic Ca/Mg supplement.
She lives on my balcony and gets eight hours of sun a day.
She was 10 weeks old yesterday and gets chopped on Saturday.

Dwarf Low Flyer is a fun strain to grow, and the little 14" tall plant doesn't call too much attention to itself out there among the tomatoes.

DLF buds, however don't grow very dense, have only a mild aroma, and are only about 10% THC. Still, a dwarf autoflower makes a great deck plant. There's a link in my sig file to the grow log.

Thanks! She's getting there...

That's a Dwarf Low Flyer in two gallons of coco coir with 20% perlite.
Nutes are General Hydroponics FloraSeries with CALiMAGic Ca/Mg supplement.
She lives on my balcony and gets eight hours of sun a day.
She was 10 weeks old yesterday and gets chopped on Saturday.

Dwarf Low Flyer is a fun strain to grow, and the little 14" tall plant doesn't call too much attention to itself out there among the tomatoes.

DLF buds, however don't grow very dense, have only a mild aroma, and are only about 10% THC. Still, a dwarf autoflower makes a great deck plant. There's a link in my sig file to the grow log.
Shes a beauty... I got my girl transplanted last night... I did some customization on my 1 gal ... Drilled more drainage holes at the botton
420-magazine-mobile1432729099.jpg
I also used a punch to poke holes in the sides going from the inside out so its perferated out.
420-magazine-mobile1710588256.jpg
420-magazine-mobile600360466.jpg
I tried to mimic the airpot design to the best of my ability. After I got my pot filled and water ph'd to 6.0 . I sprinkled some great white into the hole I was transferring the plant to.
420-magazine-mobile1571037134.jpg

I also sprinkled it all around the root base on the actual plant. Heres the final look of the grow box after transplant!
420-magazine-mobile559541690.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1122452138.jpg

Also I noticed this on the stem
420-magazine-mobile249637077.jpg

A wierd looking peeling! Wtf is that?

Shes a beauty... I got my girl transplanted last night... I did some customization on my 1 gal ... Drilled more drainage holes at the botton
420-magazine-mobile1432729099.jpg
I also used a punch to poke holes in the sides going from the inside out so its perferated out.
420-magazine-mobile1710588256.jpg
420-magazine-mobile600360466.jpg
I tried to mimic the airpot design to the best of my ability. After I got my pot filled and water ph'd to 6.0 . I sprinkled some great white into the hole I was transferring the plant to.
420-magazine-mobile1571037134.jpg

I also sprinkled it all around the root base on the actual plant. Heres the final look of the grow box after transplant!
420-magazine-mobile559541690.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1122452138.jpg

Also I noticed this on the stem
420-magazine-mobile249637077.jpg

A wierd looking peeling! Wtf is that?
Also homemade Air pot $0.95.... Diy ingenuity lol

I love the DIY air pot and that CFL grow box! Kewl! :thumb:

You plant will of course be much happier now with some room to grow. :)

As for the stalk, check out posts 20 and 21 in my last grow log (i.e., I don't think it's anything to worry about since both I and another guy had similar weirdness that seemed to be just normal development).

Looking good!

I love the DIY air pot and that CFL grow box! Kewl! :thumb:

You plant will of course be much happier now with some room to grow. :)

As for the stalk, check out posts 20 and 21 in my last grow log (i.e., I don't think it's anything to worry about since both I and another guy had similar weirdness that seemed to be just normal development).

Looking good!
I truly appreciate all the positive feedback from seasoned growers... Let's me know im on the right track and have something good on my hands( growbox design and light setup) absolutely movtivating...

Back
Top Bottom