Is this mold? Help

Why Doe

So after harvest I put all the buds in a drying tent with a carbon filter. Couldn't get the humidity past 35% so they dried extremely fast at 2 and a half days. I stuck them in a curing jar with a 62% pack and they got really spongy moist and sticky. So I let them dry back out and stuck them back in the curing jar without a 62 pack. This is my first time ever doing this and I started to get worried by the very strong chemical ammonia but still sweet at the same time smell so I did some searching and learned about mold. Was told a black light can spot it. Is this mold I'm looking at? The real bright turquoise stringy stuff? This is really the only spot out of 4 oz that I see it. Some buds have like 1 single string that lights up. I was told it would be a different color. The strong chemical ammonia smell has died down significantly since I dried them out again.

Question 1: Obviously is this mold
Question 2: If this is mold will one little spot or a few spots really make it smell that bad?
Question 3: Since some of the buds only have single little strings are they savable? If so what do I do?
Question 4: How do I prevent this in the future.

IMG_2114.PNG

How is it out of whack? I bought one of those c vaults specially for curing with 62% humidity packs. Everything I read has said that's the best way.

2 day dry, even at low RH, seems WAY to fast. Which is probably why they got all spongy in the jar(s). Then you placed them back in without the bovida

Are you supposed to burp this cvault? What was the humidity inside while your bud was in there? How long were they in there without being opened to check on the RH? Was the strong 'chemically' smell just the metal of the cvault, is something supposed to be done to prep it before your bud? Washing it etc?

Either way, I can't say I see mold but perhaps you'll need closer pictures. The blue light doesn't work out so well. Perhaps others can comment on what they see as well.

Yes I know 2 and a half days was way to quick but I had to choice but to put them in the vault because they were super dry and the stems were at a perfect level. The smell is not from the vault it was defiantly from the bud, there's no prep work that i know of and yes you are supposed to burp and i am doing it once a day for 10-20 mins. The very strong smell came when I first left them in there for a day or 2. So I let them dry back out, they are now in there with a much smaller 62 pack and are no longer spongy.

Yes I know 2 and a half days was way to quick but I had to choice but to put them in the vault because they were super dry and the stems were at a perfect level

If the buds rehydrated that much then that statement obviously doesn't really stand... they would not of rehydrate that much if they were that dry lol here was still plenty of moisture on the inside... but anyhow best thing to do in that situation is just open the jars and wait until they are dry on the outside again then close it with the humidity packs... twice a day until it's the right texture when you open it.
At least that's how I do it when it's jarred a bit to wet... I never lose my smell or anything and it smokes great.. though everyone has their own methods
As for if that's mold or not I have no clue... bud looks good though . you need to look at it under a loupe... it's obviously not trichomes.. but it could just be webbing... I'll never know lol but you could take a look with a 60x loupe and get a good idea.

I'm pretty sure it was not dry enough when I put them in there but i panicked lol, the buds were dry to the touch and felt brittle, the stems didn't crack but gave away when you bend them which is what I was told is what you want. So i cut the stems off and put them in the vault!

"I had to choice but to put them in the vault because they were super dry and the stems were at a perfect level"

So many conflicting statements here.

"And that little bit that is on that stem right there I might have been able to get a pic if I tried really hard, but I quickly cut it off and threw it away"

So all the evidence of "mold" is gone, not sure anyone can help you. I've never seen a black light used for checking bud rot / mold.

I'm pretty sure it was not dry enough when I put them in there but i panicked lol, the buds were dry to the touch and felt brittle, the stems didn't crack but gave away when you bend them which is what I was told is what you want. So i cut the stems off and put them in the vault!

That's what I figured that's why I was letting you know what I do when that happens. Happened to me my first grow because I didn't realize how much moisture is in the inside... it's not a big deal just required me to burp 60 min or so twice a day. Next grow just try to let it dry out a bit more... but I mean it's not the end of the world... some people like bone dry buds some like em a little wet. Find your preference and what curing methods work out best for you. Hell I know some people will hang the buds to dry for weeks so they are as dry as dry and can be smoked as soon as they go into the jars.. I personally don't like bud that dry lol.

Not sure if mold or not, defiantly something going on with it, whether mold hair cotton fluff etc.. but will spread and you'll be able to tell fairly quickly.. the smell will also tell you.. if it dont smell right, it ain't.. if I ever get caught with outters drying to quickly, I'll still wait for branch snap but will rehydrate them with either some fruit peel fresh leaf or wet fabric...

still able to turn your trash into stash that sells for cash. invite Tash, for a pash, hopefully don't end with a rash.. friends for a bash or a sit down to watch mash, whatever it is, you'll be able to bring out the hash...?uck im a dick :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom