Grow help needed for ibd in Canada - Have 50 plants

Fyffer

So I'm allowed 50 plants. I don't have space for that many enless very small. I have two grows under my belt a year ago with soil. 5 plants 4 oz. so my needs are 12 oz every 14 weeks. What do you think best setup for that. I was thinking rdwc. 5x5 tent 6 plants Be first time hydro grow. Did led last time but very costly up front. and heat was still a prob. Almost thinking two 400 w.hps. And mh for veg. Cooled hood. With separate inline fan. Then a moms and clone tent. 4x4. Veg for 6 weeks. Top 4 times. Lst. Along the way. Hoping for 2 oz a plant. Min. Hard or easy target.

Re: grow help needed for ibd in Canada. Have 50 plant.

Passive cooled pin heat sink led lights like diy Cree or Vero lights run much much cooler than led grow lights with fans. You can touch your hand to the heat sink pins and the are barely warm at 50 watts. Try looking on mouser electronics website, they are based in canada.

So I'm allowed 50 plants.

Nice plant limit, lol.

5x5 tent 6 plants Be first time hydro grow. Did led last time but very costly up front. and heat was still a prob. Almost thinking two 400 w.hps.

The trouble with square tents, IMHO, especially with a two-light setup, is getting your lights' footprints to match the area of your grow space evenly.

my needs are 12 oz every 14 weeks.
Hard or easy target.

Well... 12 ounces ought to easily be doable from 800 watts of HPS lighting. In theory, it can be accomplished from 400 watts, since 12 ounces equals 336 grams, but not everyone hits .84 g/w.

Passive cooled pin heat sink led lights like diy Cree or Vero lights run much much cooler than led grow lights with fans. You can touch your hand to the heat sink pins and the are barely warm at 50 watts.

A watt of lighting in an enclosed space is still going to produce ~3.413 BTU per hour of heat, regardless. Eight of those COBs, consuming 50 watts per, will produce roughly the same amount of heat as one 400-watt HPS bulb (albeit with much more even light distribution across eight square feet, lol, if they're spaced at one per square foot). And... The gardener can stick the one HPS bulb into an air-cooled reflector, bring air from somewhere outside of the grow room, pass it through the reflector, and move it out of the grow without ever allowing that heated air to come into contact with the rest of the grow room - if there are separate ventilation runs for the lights and the general grow space. Many air-cooled reflectors have "insulating covers" available, which will help even more.

Whereas the vast majority of LED setups, be they individual COBs or LED grow light panels... do not have ANY provision for ventilating/cooling them separately from the general grow space. I've only seen one product that was different in this regard, which was a former(?) sponsor's expensive commercial(?) LED panel - that had an 8" duct flange on each side of the panel to attach intake/exhaust duct runs to.

No room for outdoor plants. Since the two 400w. Better off with one 600w with side t5 lighting. ?

Nice plant limit, lol.

The trouble with square tents, IMHO, especially with a two-light setup, is getting your lights' footprints to match the area of your grow space evenly.

Well... 12 ounces ought to easily be doable from 800 watts of HPS lighting. In theory, it can be accomplished from 400 watts, since 12 ounces equals 336 grams, but not everyone hits .84 g/w.

A watt of lighting in an enclosed space is still going to produce ~3.413 BTU per hour of heat, regardless. Eight of those COBs, consuming 50 watts per, will produce roughly the same amount of heat as one 400-watt HPS bulb (albeit with much more even light distribution across eight square feet, lol, if they're spaced at one per square foot). And... The gardener can stick the one HPS bulb into an air-cooled reflector, bring air from somewhere outside of the grow room, pass it through the reflector, and move it out of the grow without ever allowing that heated air to come into contact with the rest of the grow room - if there are separate ventilation runs for the lights and the general grow space. Many air-cooled reflectors have "insulating covers" available, which will help even more.

Whereas the vast majority of LED setups, be they individual COBs or LED grow light panels... do not have ANY provision for ventilating/cooling them separately from the general grow space. I've only seen one product that was different in this regard, which was a former(?) sponsor's expensive commercial(?) LED panel - that had an 8" duct flange on each side of the panel to attach intake/exhaust duct runs to.
8 cobs at 50w each produces no where near the amount of a single hps bulb, maybe as much ashps bulb in an air cooled hood with the exhaust running full blast. Unless you have owned a cree cob with pin heat sinks then you don't know. You can quote stats all day but if you owned one you would see stats are just stats. The

8 cobs at 50w each produces no where near the amount of a single hps bulb, maybe as much ashps bulb in an air cooled hood with the exhaust running full blast. Unless you have owned a cree cob with pin heat sinks then you don't know. You can quote stats all day but if you owned one you would see stats are just stats. The

From the part I "bolded," I get the impression you aren't understanding the fundamentals of heat production. (Please forgive me if I'm wrong, here.) A heat sink does not make heat disappear - it just aids in moving it away from a thing (in this case, the COB) and towards/into a different thing (the grow room in general). Build a 7,000-pound aluminum heat sink, you'll still be dumping the same amount of heat directly into the grow room.

Equal watts' worth of light produce equal amounts of heat (or near as makes no difference). It's not a question of "stats" - it's simple physics.

Ive owned 4 different griw lights, ones with fans are just as hot as hps bulbs, like having a bunch of hair dryers blowing hot air everywhere. My newest light is a 250 watt cree CoB from timber and it barely heats up my tent, it runs cooler than my 4 bulb t5. Im just going by experience, my cree grow light barely gets warm to the touch on the heat sinks, the heat doesnt get blown around, stays at the top and gets sucked out by exhaust. My canopy stays 75 with fan on medium instead of 85 with fan on full blast with other lights.

Now I don't know which way to go. lol.

hello buddy, if your wanting only 12oz every 14 weeks then the way iv grew my last 2 grows might work for you.

IMG_20170618_131513.jpg

4 northern lights, vegged for 5 weeks once seedling broke soil, no topping involved, just put a screen up 10" above pots and kept bending over the main stem and tying her to the screen, used a 600w mh bulb for veg and first week of flower, then 600w hps for flowering.

from when seedling broke soil to harvest took me 90 days and i yielded 20.3oz.

i pop my seedlings when i flip my other plants to 12/12 so now they get 2 weeks to break soil and get there first set of leaves then 5-6 weeks of veg time, then keep on the rotation.

ignore the 2 in the middle.

hope this can help you.

That is what I want to do. I prob use dwc. But other than that looks great. Really good job. Bet it smokes great too.

you could always get a 4x8 tent and get 2 600w hps lights or the 2 400 hps lights and only run 4 plants, could get some nice bushy plants that way and the excess smoke you dont go through in the 14 weeks you can jar and forget for a later date.

Back
Top Bottom