What's wrong with my baby's 1st time growing

Pickslee30

Plants are under a 200w cfl light in coco no nutes given as of yet ,18/6 in a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 m grow tent avg temps 22-28 hum 40-50 %
The cfl was a bit close for a few days and that is when I noticed it started just on the tips at first and slowly getting worse . I don't think this is the problem tho as I've put the cfl higher and still getting worse been about 2 weeks since first noticed

420-magazine-mobile2049631055.jpg

420-magazine-mobile271651422.jpg

Why are you starving your plant? You do know that coco doesn't have any nutrient value to speak of, right? Growing in coco is essentially growing hydroponically with a non-nutritive matrix to hold moisture around the roots. If you don't add fertilizer to the daily watering, your plant will quickly die, as you can see.

:morenutes:
FEED ME!

Plants are under a 200w cfl light in coco no nutes given as of yet ,18/6 in a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 m grow tent avg temps 22-28 hum 40-50 %
The cfl was a bit close for a few days and that is when I noticed it started just on the tips at first and slowly getting worse . I don't think this is the problem tho as I've put the cfl higher and still getting worse been about 2 weeks since first noticed

I'll second that definitely needs feeding, start at a 1/4 strength and slowly work your way up ,

One more note on coco in case you didn't know (I didn't):
Don't treat coco like soil, letting it dry out between waterings. Water (and feed) every day. See my coco grow in my sig file for details if you're interested.

Everyone saying feed it is a noob, if you notice the cotyledons, they are still green. If you start feeding a plant before the cotyledons start to yellow your small plants will look like this every time, I've done it way too many times...

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but there is absolutely no point whatsoever in starving a plant for nutrients for weeks (or even for hours).

Botany 101: When a seed--any seed--pops its head above the surface and the sun hits its chlorophyll, photosynthesis starts. At the same time, the root absorb water and nutrients from the soil and use them to build new plant tissue. Just because the seed leaves (the cotyledons) are still present doesn't mean that the plant for some reason can't use nutrients in the soil or that you shouldn't feed it.

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but there is absolutely no point whatsoever in starving a plant for nutrients for weeks (or even for hours).

Botany 101: When a seed--any seed--pops its head above the surface and the sun hits its chlorophyll, photosynthesis starts. At the same time, the root absorb water and nutrients from the soil and use them to build new plant tissue. Just because the seed leaves (the cotyledons) are still present doesn't mean that the plant for some reason can't use nutrients in the soil or that you shouldn't feed it.
Ive been doing it this way for years with no deficiencies, whenever I try light feedings before the cotyledons die off I get early veg deficiencies or nute burn.
There is absolutely no reason to feed a plant that has fertilizer still stored in the cotyledons. I state facts from years of experience, what are you saying, something you read online?

Ive been doing it this way for years with no deficiencies, whenever I try light feedings before the cotyledons die off I get early veg deficiencies or nute burn.
There is absolutely no reason to feed a plant that has fertilizer still stored in the cotyledons. I state facts from years of experience, what are you saying, something you read online?

You've got a system that works for you. That's great! :thumb:

The way I have done it in coco for years with no problems is...
Seed to starter plug soaked in water straight from the tap. (A little chlorine helps because seedling have a natural buffer against small amounts of salts and it kills bacteria and germs)

After is pops up I rip off the net and put it deep in the bottom of half a cup of coco buried up to the leaves and water it again with straight tap until heavy runoff.
It wont need watered for a few days.
I then start watering with filtered tap water to avoid getting chlorine toxicity when the cup feels lighter but is still moist.

They stay in the cup and get water straight from the tap filter until they are about 4 or 5 nodes high and the cotyledons (the first ljttle set of round leaves) start to lighten in color and turn yellow.

I then start light feedings (1/4 to 1/2 strength)
My seedlings are always happy with this method. No spots no curling, bright lush green...
The only way they suffer is if its a hungry strain or you dint watch the cotyledons close enough and dont feed it quick enough.

You rarely get a seed popped that wants fed before the cotyledons die and if you do they will tell you by lightening in green color and you can easily fix it in a few days with a light feeding.

If the cotyledons are light green color when they pop they dont have as much N in them so they will die off and need fed earlier. The cotledons have all the fertilizer a plant needs for the first month or so. The plant uses the cotyledons for fertilizer until the root system is established. If you go adding salts too soon they stick to and burn the delicate young root structure and then it shows up on the leaves as nute burn or a deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom