To top or not to top

TheDuderoni

I'll be starting an indoor grow of a hybrid from CKS called White Cookies. Planning on doing just 3 at a time as my space is roughly only 6sq/ft. I'll be using LEDs so I can put the light fairly close to the canopy(12-24 inches). Would topping or FIMing my plants in such a small space be beneficial or detrimental? If anybody has experience with high stress training in limited space I'd love your feedback! :Namaste:

Just my own take, but I think some kind of topping is going to benefit any plant. It breaks apical dominance and redirects growth energy out to the growth tips that become cola. For just one example, look at the coco grow in my sig file (which starts on the day the plant was topped). It never grew another leaf from the stalk but instead put all its energy into the colas. And of course you can train the plant by topping. Look up "manifolding" if you don't already know about it. Maybe that answers at least part of your question?

Not sure how I've never come across manifolding before while researching. This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, although I'm assuming this will add significantly more time to veg? The seeds I'm using are feminized so I'm curious to see if all that stress will lead to a hermie. Definitely going to try this with one of the 3. Thanks, Scientific!

Hi TD -- I have never manifolded myself, but I have seen brilliant results from it. All that topping and training would add time, but who cares, we're all going to live forever, right? ;)

I suspect that most of the "stress the plant, get a hermie" talk is folklore. A healthy, well-tended plant responds to training like a Golden Retriever. Just give it food and love and show it what you want it to do and it responds.

Good luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom