What would the cheapest way to have a one plant DWC set up?

28 Grams

I have a 36x20" tent and for my next grow I wanted to try out DWC. I'll have another plant in a normal soil pot.

What's the cheapest way to do this?
To me it looks like I just need a black plastic container, drill out the lid to fit a mesh cup, and an air pump.

I have a 36x20" tent and for my next grow I wanted to try out DWC. I'll have another plant in a normal soil pot.

What's the cheapest way to do this?
To me it looks like I just need a black plastic container, drill out the lid to fit a mesh cup, and an air pump.

Yup, that's pretty much it.
Thots:
  • Have as much water volume as you can to help keep the pH stable.
  • Get a good air pump that really cranks the bubbles. It's not just for air; it helps to keep the water from getting stagnant, which can help prevent root rot.
  • Consider by a little aquarium immersion pump to help add extra swirlies, especially when the bucket gets full of rootz.
  • Hydroguard beneficial bacilli are expensive and have a short half like but have a great reputation. Probably worth having.
  • Advanced Nutrients' "pH Perfect" line has a good reputation for (duh) helping you have perfect pH, or if not perfect, then not having to fuss with pH all the time. I haven't used pH Perfect yet but will next time!
  • You will definitely need and want a pH pen with pH 7.0 calibration solution. Learn how to use, maintain and calibrate it.
  • A PPM meter. Really, you wanna do hydro? You need a PPM meter.
  • Take lots of notes!
  • Make sure your reservoir is 100% light proof so no algae grows.
  • Don't be pourin' H2O2 in the rez alla time!
  • Starting your seedlings in Rapid Rooters is pretty much acknowledged to be the best start.
  • Have a look at my hydro grow in my sig file for various misadventures with a happy ending.

That's my bucket brain dump.
Hydroponics rocks and combined with lots of good light can give big yields, but be ready for a learning curve.

Good luck, have fun, and big yields to ya! :)

PS Instead of a "normal soil pot," consider doing the second plant in drain to waste coco coir. See my coco grow log in the sig file for details. Really great technology and no fussing with pH! :thumb:

I can deffinately recommend Advanced Nutrience if you use any of the Base Nutrients for me i used Sensi Grow A&B and Sensi Bloom A&B with their other products and I've never had any PH issues (On a dide note you can also use other additive products for example Terpinator and it wont affect the PH perfect solution thats in Advanced Nutrients Products- Im also not using rockwool or anything like that which needs to be PH neutralized just using plain ol' lava rocks which have been fantastic.

Thanks for the great responses!

I'm not going to lie, I am a little off put from DWC's now haha, just because it sounds a little more expensive than anticipated.
I was hoping to use my FF trio nutes that I already have for my soil grows in DWC but then I realized it might not be compatible..
It's a few weeks before I start my new grow so I will put some thought into going DWC or not.

Peace

Thanks for the great responses!

I'm not going to lie, I am a little off put from DWC's now haha, just because it sounds a little more expensive than anticipated.
I was hoping to use my FF trio nutes that I already have for my soil grows in DWC but then I realized it might not be compatible..
It's a few weeks before I start my new grow so I will put some thought into going DWC or not.

Peace

I'm sure you can use your FF nutes for hydro. If you go to their website, I'll bet they even give a nute schedule.

Hydro doesn't have to be complicated or expensive and gives great yields, so if you're tempted, go for it! :thumb:

good morning, I wanted to say nothing can beat living breathing biological soil when it comes to quality and that's what I do ☺

If you cant afford the $75 PH pen, you best go PH Perfect,

Here is a test you can do, its called, Keep your water at 65degrees. You have a few weeks to decide, so just fill a bucket up, and try to keep it at 65degrees,,, If you cant, forget about it.

The most important part of DWC is Water temp, and PH. If you cant keep BOTH maintained, forget about DWC.

I did it, i hated it.

I didnt like changing water every week, i didnt like exposing my roots to light and air when you change the water. A simple rock making bubbles is easier said then done., You have to contend with roots getting ripped up from the air hose if its not fixed to the bucket.

Its a nightmare, but each their own, give it a try.

and to note, I use PH perfect in Coco, love the stuff, No problems, no discolor, no purple. I ran into a problem by not watering ENOUGHT when i did water. Think i had salt buildup, but all seems good now, quick fix and turnaround.

If you cant afford the $75 PH pen, you best go PH Perfect,

Here is a test you can do, its called, Keep your water at 65degrees. You have a few weeks to decide, so just fill a bucket up, and try to keep it at 65degrees,,, If you cant, forget about it.

The most important part of DWC is Water temp, and PH. If you cant keep BOTH maintained, forget about DWC.

I did it, i hated it.

I didnt like changing water every week, i didnt like exposing my roots to light and air when you change the water. A simple rock making bubbles is easier said then done., You have to contend with roots getting ripped up from the air hose if its not fixed to the bucket.

Its a nightmare, but each their own, give it a try.

A few comments for you, Mayne:
First, a $20 pH pen will do the job. Don't gotta go top drawer.
I disagree that water temp is all that important. Mine spiked up to the 90s for days at a time with no problems. (I did have Hydroguard, and airstone, and two circulating pumps, all of which helped, I'm sure.)
"Exposing your roots to light" is not that big a deal.
Schlepping gallons of water every week I agree was a pain. Any hydro design should take this into account and make it as easy as possible.
pH management was a pain for me too.

But for all the challenges, it was never a "nightmare," and I had a GREAT first grow with hydro--big yield!--so I think it was worth the trouble.

each their own, lol, glad it worked out for ya man,

I just know, i will never try it again, lol.. I dont even really like coco.

Might go back to a hot soil based system.

I bought 2 PH pens for $20, both were crap, and one wouldnt calibrate properly,

Back
Top Bottom