Pistils - But no trich's!

BamBam9647

Hi guys,

I'm having a noob moment. My plant is in flower and has been for 2 weeks, and there are white pistils showing everywhere, however there are no trich's anywhere !
Is this normal, and do the trich's come later or is something wrong ?
Here's some pics :
420-magazine-mobile1730205857.jpg

420-magazine-mobile712373758.jpg

Thanks 420 family !

Re: Pistils, but no trich's!!!!!!!

Yeah they will get more frosty the closer you get to harvest. What strain are you running

Sounds delectable. I think she will frost up soon enough. Especially if you have some bloom boosters I.e. Koolbloom liquid is what I'm using right now and it seems more snow falls on them every day. Switching to dry koolbloom and crab meal soon for a frosty finish

From your photos, it looks like it's very early yet.

How much light are you running? Trichome production is strongly related to light intensity in my experience.

From your photos, it looks like it's very early yet.

How much light are you running? Trichome production is strongly related to light intensity in my experience.

Hey dude, I'm running a single 6500 Lum CFL bulb, I do have two powerful LED lights I could add, however there just isn't any space in my grow box !

Hey dude, I'm running a single 6500 Lum CFL bulb, I do have two powerful LED lights I could add, however there just isn't any space in my grow box !

Bummers. Sad to say, but you're not going to get a very good product with just that one bulb. Do try to get it as close to the flowers as possible--inches. And maybe build a bigger grow box? ;)

Good luck.

Bummers. Sad to say, but you're not going to get a very good product with just that one bulb. Do try to get it as close to the flowers as possible--inches. And maybe build a bigger grow box? ;)

Good luck.

What would you recommend to be optimal lighting for the size of my grow box ?

What would you recommend to be optimal lighting for the size of my grow box ?

Your box looks about 2 feet by 2 feet?

Theoretical:
That's about .4 square meters. 1 lumen per square meter is 1 lux.
Ideally, you want about 80,000 lux or more. 80,000 lux * .4 square meters = 32,000 lumens, so you'd need five of your 6,500 lumen lights. (Are you sure that wasn't 6500 kelvin (i.e. blue-white light color), and not 6,500 lumens?)

Empirical:
Here's a shot of my little Dwarf Low Flyer grow. The plant was about 16" around so that's 200 square inches or .13 square meters.
I had 5 CFLs, 4 LED light bulbs and a 12 watt LED grow light on it and it did great.

At very roughly 1,600 lumens per lamp, that was 16,000 lumens over about .13 square meters for over 100,000 lux.

Here's the primitive little hydroponic setup in the corner of my living room. That one plant gave over half a pound wet weight!
2017-05-24_Day_65_1130_001.JPG

More info on the grow if you're curious:
Scientific's Hydro Dwarf Low Flyer 24/7 Illumination Fireplace Grow Journal - 2017

Fiat lux!

Your box looks about 2 feet by 2 feet?

Theoretical:
That's about .4 square meters. 1 lumen per square meter is 1 lux.
Ideally, you want about 80,000 lux or more. 80,000 lux * .4 square meters = 32,000 lumens, so you'd need five of your 6,500 lumen lights. (Are you sure that wasn't 6500 kelvin (i.e. blue-white light color), and not 6,500 lumens?)

Empirical:
Here's a shot of my little Dwarf Low Flyer grow. The plant was about 16" around so that's 200 square inches or .13 square meters.
I had 5 CFLs, 4 LED light bulbs and a 12 watt LED grow light on it and it did great.

At very roughly 1,600 lumens per lamp, that was 16,000 lumens over about .13 square meters for over 100,000 lux.

Here's the primitive little hydroponic setup in the corner of my living room. That one plant gave over half a pound wet weight!
2017-05-24_Day_65_1130_001.JPG

More info on the grow if you're curious:
Scientific's Hydro Dwarf Low Flyer 24/7 Illumination Fireplace Grow Journal - 2017

Fiat lux!

Really grateful for your advice mate !
My grow box isn't 2 x 2ft, it's rectangle and it's about 1ft wide and 2ft deep. I wouldn't be able to physically fit 5 of those CFL's in there, but I could fit two more LED's which are 1600Lum each. I'll do that today and hopefully see some progress :) thank you !

Really grateful for your advice mate !
My grow box isn't 2 x 2ft, it's rectangle and it's about 1ft wide and 2ft deep. I wouldn't be able to physically fit 5 of those CFL's in there, but I could fit two more LED's which are 1600Lum each. I'll do that today and hopefully see some progress :) thank you !

Well at 1x2 it's half as big so needs half the light to hit 80k lux, so just 3 6500s or even 2 should work. Just give it as much light as you can. (You can see what I did in the photo: desk lamps, photographer's lamps... the light at the back left is a CFL light for treating seasonal affective disorder that the last tenant here left behind. Half the lights in the apartment were in there by the end. ;))

Good luck and have fun. :)

Ok so I modified the lighting, I've added 2 x large LED lights, 2500 lum each and a spiral CFL 1570 lum. And I've kept in the 6500 lum CFL.
Will this be enough??
420-magazine-mobile1275456302.jpg
420-magazine-mobile607954229.jpg

Ok so I modified the lighting, I've added 2 x large LED lights, 2500 lum each and a spiral CFL 1570 lum. And I've kept in the 6500 lum CFL.
Will this be enough??

Well that's doubled the number of lumens, so that's definitely a step in the right direction. :)

How is the temperature doing in there?

Well that's doubled the number of lumens, so that's definitely a step in the right direction. :)

How is the temperature doing in there?

Staying around 24'C, but that usually goes up by about 3 degrees C during the night. I don't think it's possible to fit anymore lights in there and it's almost impossible to get the plants in and out but it's manageable.
420-magazine-mobile1219365701.jpg

I hope this is enough light for a decent yield !

Going into week 4 of flower, still no trich's!!

42 days + from seed is still early. If you've got flowers with pistils, the trichomes will show up eventually. How many and how dense is to a large degree a function of how much light and for how long each day.

FWIW, the first mention of trichs in the log for my last indoor grow was 65 days from seed (but they were there earlier than that).

Back
Top Bottom