How Much H₂O₂ To Dechlorinate Tap Water?

Anyone know off the top of your head how much consumer-grade (3%) H₂O₂ needs to be added to one gallon of municipal tap water (assuming recommended chlorination levels, and a pH of at least 8.0) in order to dechlorinate it?

I know it's a relatively small amount, but don't remember the specifics. I had a web page, but I lost the link.

Cl2 bubbled into drinking water will off-gas by itself if left in an open container. Some utilities use chloramine instead, and letting water treated with chloramine sit doesn't work.

Here's a scientific article about using H Peroxide on Cl2 in H20. Hydrogen Peroxide is a Dechlorination Alternative | USP Technologies

Personally, trying to remove the tiny amounts of chlorine from drinking water reminds me of the guys on the guitar forum looking for better ways to clean the inside of their acoustic guitars. You have to wonder if maybe they've wandered off into the bushes a ways and need to get back to strummin'.

Just my .02. ;)

Cl2 bubbled into drinking water will off-gas by itself if left in an open container.

But not in a very short period of time; not even in direct sunlight. Sometimes I procrastinate, lol. (A sufficient quantity of) H₂O₂ works instantaneously when the liquid being treated is at a pH of 8.5. I don't think mine is quite that high, but it's >8.0.

Some utilities use chloramine instead, and letting water treated with chloramine sit doesn't work.

My municipality still uses chlorine.

Here's a scientific article about using H Peroxide on Cl2 in H20. Hydrogen Peroxide is a Dechlorination Alternative | USP Technologies

I just threw that link at someone a day or two ago - it must be one of those boomerang articles :trance: .

But my brain is lazy, and I'm stOOpid (or vice versa ;) ), and IDK how to determine the suggested amount for this application.

For each mg/L of free chlorine, add 1 mL of 0.1 wt.% H2O2. This quantity may be approximated by one or two drops of a 3 wt.% of hydrogen peroxide solution available in drug stores. The free chlorine will have disappeared by the time mixing is complete.

Basically, I don't know - or even have a guess as to - what my water's concentration of chlorine is likely to be.

Personally, trying to remove the tiny amounts of chlorine from drinking water reminds me of the guys on the guitar forum looking for better ways to clean the inside of their acoustic guitars.

It's (or, rather, its smell is) enough to make me nauseous, and when Dad was in the process of losing the slugfest with cancer, it did cause him to vomit. So perhaps a better analogy would be a guy who keeps his F-250 turbo diesel tuned up so that it doesn't kill every mosquito (et cetera :icon_roll) within 25' when he stands on the go-fast pedal?

I know that plants require some chlorine, and that reports of Cl toxicity appear to be low. Nonetheless, toxicity is possible, and this article:
Chlorine Toxicity - Trees and Shrubs | University of Maryland Extension
...states that it can build up in soils from chlorinated runoff (etc.).

I also chased an issue where the leaves looked something like the picture in that article. IDK if it was caused by Cl toxicity or not, but I'm guessing that, regardless, my tap water has far above the level that cannabis plants require.

Furthermore, while using H₂O₂ does add some small expense, I'm a "non-organic" (lol :rolleyes3 ) kind of guy, and have used it quite a bit in hydroponics grows for the boost to dissolved oxygen levels (and in hopes of preventing microbial life in the reservoirs). So my guess is that using H₂O₂ to dechlorinate my plants' water is helpful both coming and going (so to speak).

I'm about to begin soaking some seeds that I should have done yesterday. I'm thinking that I'll pour a cap-full of H₂O₂ into each cup, tilt the cup, drop a seed into the H₂O₂, wait a moment or two, kind of shake the cup in hopes of getting the entire exterior in contact with the H₂O₂, then pour the usual amount of water into the cup. I don't see the harm, and I wonder if the initial "dip" into H₂O₂ would kill any microbials, russet mites, et cetera (if any are there). This might be a waste of time. But as such things go, it's relatively cheap and harmless, lol.

You mean you're not supposed to be able to smell the chlorine in tap water?!?!

What the <BLEEP>?

To be honest, I do not remember. I may still have the kit for testing various specific elements in water out in the shed, but I probably gave it away years ago. IDK what one could test for with it; IIRC, there were four to six things. A friend scored it from a nearby wastewater treatment plant when someone decided they'd toss a few items that hadn't been touched in (probably) decades.

The last published report I looked at (and, again, IIRC) was something between 1.4 and 1.5 parts per million, with an upper limit to the range of 1.6. I've never heard of any test (locally) that wasn't performed with the intention of minimizing reported numbers, so I'd consider these things to be "best-case scenarios." But I did a quick "light" search and saw that some people can smell LOW levels of chlorine. I just never thought I'd be one of them, due to some hits my senses of taste and smell have taken over the years. Still... My being able to detect chlorine with my own senses does not automatically mean it's higher than it should be, I suppose.

In truth, I'm probably overly cautious here. As I mentioned (I think?), I've routinely used water straight out of the tap in the past.

IDK. We're a little behind on our infrastructure hereabouts. A year or so ago, they got around to replacing a main line that had been having issues for some time. IIRC, it was about 150 years old.

I'd tell you about some of the real issues we've had with our water, but that'd pretty much pinpoint my location. I guess you could say it's the kind of thing that, if you'd just spent the previous 18 years raising your kid to drink water instead of bottled, carbonated, caffeinated, corn syrupy crap and then found out, well... You'd have some sleepless nights wondering what you've done to your child's lifetime health. That's supposed to be all better now, BtW. All the entities that lied to us for many decades are telling the truth about everything now. At least that's what they tell us....

Back
Top Bottom