2 plants - Same strain - Very different

HardCast

I have 2 Cannatonic plants getting close to harvest. Both plants are on the same reservoir/nute system, plumbed to the same chiller and under the same light. Both seeds came in the same envelope from a reputable seed seller. The plants are very different. The plants looked the same until about 2-3 weeks ago. One plant has turned purple. In fact even lots of the trichromes are purple. The other plant is completely green, much fuller bud growth, and just gererally a more robust, taller plant (see pics -> These plants where manifolded to 8 colas, just showing one of each but the others are similar).

So as a first time grower, I am wondering if this is common or uncommon for plants that are suppose to be the same strain to be completely different (leaf color, growth, flower size, and even trichrome color)?
IMG_110758.JPG
IMG_110850.JPG

Re: 2 plants, same strain, very different

Different phenotypes? Maybe one takes more after the mother and the other takes more after the father. Maybe one's adopted?

I'm on my first grow but have 4 Borderline XTRM plants that all receive the same nutes and are in the same tent as well. There are two VERY different phenotypes in these plants and I also got them from a very reputable seed seller as well. Two of mine are growing very short and bushy with very tight node spacing and the other two are real tall with much larger node spaces. They look like two completely different strains. After doing some research online I realised that the exact same seeds from the same envelope can vary a ton. I think it can have something to do with how the strain was created(bred) and how stable it is. I took clones from each phenotype and labeled them so I can use the one that end up with the best finished product and toss the other. If I get one that is really impressive I will make it a mother plant for a while and take more clones off it for future use. Hope they both work out for you and I personally love the purple look. It's just something different to look at but the effect is really what I care about so I am looking for the one with the best result as far as helping my chronic pain. Good luck with both of them.

Thanks for that infromation Apache. It will be interesting to see if the effect is different also. I wish I would have taken clones from these also - maybe next time.

Books are a great source of knowledge but to me real world experience is hard to beat.

Having both is the classic 2 + 2 = 10 synergy, in my opinion. No matter what I'm dealing with, I'm always surprised by how much more there is to learn after having read the book, and how much learning the theoretical stuff in the book augments the experience.

As for the variability of seeds in the field, I always think of one of our forebears 10,000 years ago looking out the crop and saying, "Gee, this plant is a lot better than the other ones. I save the seeds from this one for next year..." ;)

I realize it may be weird when you have two plants that looks that different and yet they're the same strain. There can be an incredible amount of different phenotypes in a strain. Some strains are more stabilized than others and you will see less variation. I always take one clone from each plant just to make sure I have a copy in case I should find a fantastic phenotype and because of that, I have some really nice genetics now :)

I realize it may be weird when you have two plants that looks that different and yet they're the same strain. There can be an incredible amount of different phenotypes in a strain. Some strains are more stabilized than others and you will see less variation. I always take one clone from each plant just to make sure I have a copy in case I should find a fantastic phenotype and because of that, I have some really nice genetics now :)

You should check out Phylos. They've mapped the DNA of thousands of strains and show the level of genetic variability for them. It's pretty fun to look at too.

You should check out Phylos. They've mapped the DNA of thousands of strains and show the level of genetic variability for them. It's pretty fun to look at too.

Where can you find Phylos? It sounds like some good research to do. Thanks

Thanks, I'll have to check them out tomorrow. Another night of blessed insomnia for me. I can't wait for my plants to come through, it will be nice to get more than 3-4 hours of sleep every 2 days. I wish there was a fast forward for plants as waiting is killing me, just spending so much time with the plants has made a difference in my life though. I wish I had gone this way a long time ago and thanks for everyone here that helps out with the newer growers. I never could have done this without resources like you find here.

Back
Top Bottom