Topping and plant training

Shawnyboy

Hey guys! Need a little advice on topping. I'm aiming to achieve a 4 way top and incorporate some lst to get some nice bushes for a scrog grow. I've already topped my girls one. My question is, how much should I let the two new tops grow out before topping each of them? Here's a picture of my current size
420-magazine-mobile1015235968.jpg

Hey guys! Need a little advice on topping. I'm aiming to achieve a 4 way top and incorporate some lst to get some nice bushes for a scrog grow. I've already topped my girls one. My question is, how much should I let the two new tops grow out before topping each of them? Here's a picture of my current size

You should let the new tops grow out as many nodes as the first one you did. I top mine at 3, some do at 4-5 etc etc. If the plant is healthy, 3 should do. Then top each top at 3 nodes etc

I'm growing two plants for the first time and they're outdoors. I have them in 20L pails on my deck out back. I live in a semi-detach so my girls can't be peeking over the fence. Since I'm new to this, what exactly are you referring to when you say nodes? I see in the image what looks like four branches and the center two legs have more branches starting out. Is that a node? Sorry for my ignorance but it will help a bit down the road. Also, any topping techniques you have found to be best would help.
Thanks

I HIGHLY recommend you research a technique called "Uncle Ben's Topping". It's a method to train the plant to have either two or four PRIMARY colas.

To get 4 MAIN colas, let the seedling or cutting (clone) grow to about 5-6 nodes and pinch out (cut) the stem just above the 2nd true node (don't count the cotyledons!).

This will redistribute the auxins and other hormones that normally collect in the tissue of the terminal leader's tip to the TWO lower nodes.

Since you've already made an initial cut, you won't be able to do it on this plant, so the next set of cuttings will result in four SECONDARY colas. This shouldn't stop you from continued training/cutting, but I do recommend you become familliar with the UBT technique and there are some good pic's and examples on the web (I couldn't quickly find one in the 127 pages of my gallery! :laugh:).

:Namaste:

K

Keep it simple. The first topping is done when it has 5 to 6 sets (a node on each side is a set). I usually cut it down to where the third node is so the third node is the new 'top' of the plant.

I cut off everything below the new top but leave the fan leafs for extra energy collection and to push the plants through. So basically you're just cutting off any sets of nodes below your new main top nodes. This is so your plant can focus all energy to the top node set of your plant and not waste energy on lower nodes since u cut em off.

I top it again when it's got 2 node sets, down to the first node set. Wait longer if the 1st node sets leafs are super tiny, u want them slightly big enough to be able to collect their own energy too.

Repeat for as many main colas you want.

Keep it simple. The first topping is done when it has 5 to 6 sets (a node on each side is a set). I usually cut it down to where the third node is so the third node is the new 'top' of the plant.
It makes a lot more sense when you explain it that way...thanks.

I cut off everything below the new top but leave the fan leafs for extra energy collection and to push the plants through. So basically you're just cutting off any sets of nodes below your new main top nodes. This is so your plant can focus all energy to the top node set of your plant and not waste energy on lower nodes since u cut em off.
I take it you are referring to the first leaves that came out with the cotyledons as being the fan leaves?

I top it again when it's got 2 node sets, down to the first node set. Wait longer if the 1st node sets leafs are super tiny, u want them slightly big enough to be able to collect their own energy too.
So the new top is now the third node I cut down to. So, just above the first new node to explore from there is where it would be cut down to on the next one, basically above the first new node after the plant was topped. I hope I didn't mess that explanation up!

Thanks for the information. I only need two colas and want to keep the plant relatively low. :)

Exactly
That's not something you have to worry about tho if you're only topping a single time for 2 main shoots.

As for the trimming below the third node which is now your top of the plant, it's optional. I do it so the 2 main shoots are the Hopefullyots getting all the nutrients so I have no popcorn nugs (small buds, small airy buds) and to help the main shoots get bigger. Completely optional.
As an example, let's say you top down to 3rd node. Directly under the node set are 2 fan leafs, 1 on each side. Don't touch those. Directly underneath those set of fan leafs are 2 more nodes (1 on each side) and just beneath that is 2 more fan leafs. You would cut off the node on both sides but leave the large fan leafs. Repeat until all nodes below the top are cut off. In the end, all nodes minus the very top 2 have been removed and all fan leafs are still present.

Make sense?

No problem, glad I can help! I was very clueless my first grow and it was a little intimidateing! Was worried cause I didn't know what to expect or even know what the different parts of the plant were supposed to look like!
You will love the first grow tho, it's so fun seeing them grow and manipulateing them for the first time!

No problem, glad I can help! I was very clueless my first grow and it was a little intimidateing! Was worried cause I didn't know what to expect or even know what the different parts of the plant were supposed to look like!
You will love the first grow tho, it's so fun seeing them grow and manipulateing them for the first time!

WTF is a cotyledon is one of the many things I kept looking for answers on. My vocabulary has improved so much. I go into a grocery store now and say stuff like.. 'I notice the cotyledons on this plant are rather small. Is that normal'. Seriously though, if you want to grow this weed you have to understand the plant. And yes it's lots of fun watching 'em grow.

Back
Top Bottom