Hopefully simple question

Mertall

Ok so I have a crop almost ready to harvest, problem is I over fed them in veg and gave them nute lock I think? My question is this strain I have grown many times before and it always takes 8 weeks from flipping to be ready, so if the plants locked up for 4 or 5 days does that mean they will need almost 9 weeks from flipping? Or will they still be ready after 8 weeks? Thanks in advance. Tried to look at the trichomes but struggle to tell always have.

Since you've grown this strain many times before, how do the plants you are growing now compare to previous grows at the same age? That should give you your answer.

As for "nute lock"--IMHO there is an awful lot of folklore, BS, and misunderstanding out there surrounding that. Just out of curiosity, when you say you think you suspect you "gave them nute lock," what do you mean exactly? How do you know you overfed them? Nute burn on the leaf tips?

Nutrient lockout is a common problem among growers but recognizing it and fixing it requires some basic knowledge. Less experienced growers may not recognize a nutrient lockout, making the problem worse by doing the opposite of what is needed to restore their plants' health. Learn about nutrient lockout and how to fix it and how to avoid it!

A nutrient lockout is among the most common problems cannabis growers can experience during a grow. Unfortunately, less experienced growers will not always recognize a nutrient lockout as what it really is. Many times, the grower might even do the exact opposite of what would be needed to fix the problem. In this blog, you will learn what nutrient lockout is and most importantly, how to fix it and how you can avoid it in the future.

WHAT IS NUTRIENT LOCKOUT?

When your cannabis plants are experiencing a nutrient lockout, this means that they cannot take in the required nutrients to grow properly. The result of a nutrient lockout can be growing deficiencies such as discoloured leaves, poor yield and in the worst case scenario a lost grow altogether.

A nutrient lockout can be caused by a variety of things. Common reasons for your plants not being able to take in all the required nutrients could be wrong-pH-levels for your water, nutrient solution or soil (such as when the pH is too high or too low) or a chemical reaction between nutrients that can cause your plants to not uptake nutrients. Build-up of salt deposits in your soil from the use of mineral (non-organic) fertilizers and nutrients can also be a cause for a nutrient lockout.

What is important to know about a typical nutrient lockout scenario is that all the required nutrients are normally indeed present but the plants cannot take them in. Cannabis plants, for example, rely on a rather tight window of optimal pH levels where they are able to uptake nutrients optimally. If the pH is off, the plant cannot absorb certain nutrients even if they are present.

THE PROBLEM RECOGNIZING AND TREATING A NUTRIENT LOCKOUT

Many new growers see the symptoms of a nutrient lockout such as yellow leaves or overall poor growth and they think that the problem is not giving the plant sufficient nutrients. This thinking is of course not even that far off since the signs of a lockout can indeed look similar as if the plant would not get those nutrients in the first place, except for the underlying cause.

However, rather than fixing the actual problem, such as a wrong pH, salt build-up or whatever the reason for the nutrient lockout may be, growers may be tempted to give even more nutrients, thinking this would solve the problem, essentially making the problem even worse!

HOW TO FIX NUTRIENT LOCKOUT AND HOW TO AVOID IT

To fix a nutrient lockout and restore your plant's ability to absorb nutrients you can perform a nutrient flush. This means you cleanse the growing medium by saturating it with clean water or with water and a special flushing agent. If you grow in soil, the common flushing procedure is to give as much clean and properly pH-ed water until half of the water comes out. Following the flush, it is recommended to give your plants the correct amount of nutrients. For-hydroponically-systems, the methods vary, but the underlying principle is the same: you cleanse your system to get rid of salt and mineral build-up, which is the actual reason for the lockout.

Seasoned growers are usually performing regular routine flushes to prevent problems before they can occur. It's a good idea to flush your pots or hydroponic system in regular intervals, like when you move your plants to flower and then a second flush halfway through flower.

Also very common are nutrient lockout problems caused by an altogether incorrect pH level of your water or nutrient solution. Cannabis prefers pH levels that range from 5.5-6.5. If this is significantly off beyond this scale either way, a nutrient lockout and growing problems are likely. To solve this problem you need to always make sure about the correct pH levels of your water or nutrient solution. To start fixing your plants, perform the flush as described above with water that has the proper pH. Water with water that has the correct pH level and the problems from the lockout caused by improper pH should go away in a few days.

Courtesy of zamnesia seeds, Cannabis Seeds, Headshop, Vaporizers, CBD Oil and Smartshop

On that note, no way to know without full plant pics and more info.
They should have added letting coco husk dry out to the common causes along with overwatering.

Thanks weedgi, but the q was for the OP, not a request for information about lockout. (By the way, what you posted is nicely formatted and has an authoritative air, but has some questionable assertions. For instance, the bit about "It’s a good idea to flush your pots or hydroponic system in regular intervals, like when you move your plants to flower and then a second flush halfway through flower" is nonsense." Emergency procedures like flooding your soil shouldn't be necessary if you're doing it right.)

Thanks for the replies. Well basical they where just under 2weeks in veg I fed them etc 2days later they wilted 1 died and there the leads started to turn yellow/Brown and go crispy. I flushed the soild with the pots in the bath basically to remove as much feed as possible, they didn't change really even with almost a week more in veg so I flipped them. They didn't do alot for a few more days then they started to recover. I carried on feed at half strength for a week then back to full strength. I'll try and get some pic posted to show you the stages etc.. my problem really is this weekend is basically 8 weeks. I won't have time to harvest after this weekend for at least another 10 days.

420-magazine-mobile1690495104.jpg
420-magazine-mobile546141188.jpg
420-magazine-mobile493948141.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2001634332.jpg
420-magazine-mobile593339648.jpg
420-magazine-mobile13675574.jpg
420-magazine-mobile352766867.jpg

I thought that but how fast they went down hill I wasn't sure it was that. Temp is about 20 degrees c. Did max at 27 tho cos of the hot weather

Makes sense cos usually i did almost 50/50 mix of grow stones and soil so I can get away with over watering. Maybe that's the case. So would think that means the growth cycle would be the same. As in it always takes me 8 weeks from flipping to flower. So this should be the same?

If they were stressed through flowering that could push them an extra week or too but i always check trichs.

I tend to chop once they have swelled up to the max i can and make sure trichs are 50% cloudy 50% amber, chopping when they still have even atleast 25-40% white hairs feels a waste to me as they still need time.

Hope it helps!

Ok thanks I'll have a check. Struggle to see if there cloudy lol not 100% lol I can see loads of them but hard to tell as never done that before. My worry is I was gona leave it till next weekend but due to shit going on I won't be able to crop for almost 2weeks after this weekend...

420-magazine-mobile1175144655.jpg

Ok so most look like this the Trichomes-looks cloudy but hard to tell. Would you think they will last another 2weeks or should I take down this weekend?

Back
Top Bottom