Delps8

Strain - AK-48
Number of Plants? 1
Growth Stage? Flower - week 4.9

How Long? 4 sets of nodes on 7/20/17 = 70 days
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Grow Type - Hydro

Reservoir Size - 35 gals capacity, 28 gals to refill to 1/2" below net pot
Reservoir Temperature - 68 ±0 (Active Aqua chiller)
Medium - Started in rockwool

Hydro Setup - RDWC
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 "600" watt LED, mfg says it draws 320 watts but KillaWatt reports 400.
Is it Air Cooled? Yes, cooled by internal fans.

Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Average high is 82±, average low is 72±. Using ice in tent during lights out.
RH - Average high about 72%, average low about 68%
PH - 5.8, has varied from 4.8 to 6.2

Pests - None known
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Fox Farm hydro nutes at about 40% recommended strength. Using the 420magazine.com "Wonder Chart" for analysis.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2' x 4' x 8'

Using an EC + temp + pH monitor and really like it. Active Aqua water chiller is excellent for my needs. The RO unit feeds a 55 gallon cistern in the garage. The cistern temp is about 80 (August in Southern California) and the chiller brings the res down to 68 in < 6 hours.

Hydro unit has "top feed" which I shut off after the plants developed a good root system.

Problem Statement
First grow.

I've had serious pH drops for a couple of weeks and can't seem to get things sorted out. I'm seeing pH drop at the rate of 0.1 unit per hour. Over the past 24 hours, I've raised the EC to try to find a sweet spot where pH won't plummet but no joy.

After a power outage last week, I dicked up and I must have put the timer on the lights went into "random" setting. As best I can tell, that ran for about a day but I got it back to 12/12 as soon as I realized what had happened.

The leaves aren't displaying any nute_ deficiencies such as spotting but the top leaves are curling.

The plant is about 14" from the light which is the minimum recommended by the manufacturer. I've had supercrop to keep the height down.

The reason I'm posting is that these plants just don't look right to my inexperienced eye.

This is "the" plant in the tent. "Norah", in the pix, is over 55" but "Nancy" was underdeveloped and I took her out of the tent a few days ago thinking that perhaps she was causing the pH issue.

Have the pH issue and the dumbshit mistake with the light timer have caused problems for the plant?

Any comments or feedback will be welcome.

IMG_1004_1.jpg

Luweedgi:

Hmm...

It's in a garage that gets outside air. Checking the data from myAcurite, it's varied from 80% down into the 60's over the past month.

I've got a big portable AC unit from Whynter that can run as a dehumidifier but the next question is will dropping the RH now a difference? Are they too far gone?

[He clicks the "Reply" button and then walks in the garage to fire up the Whynter...]

I appreciate the comment.

There's a fan running at the bottom of the tent but the fan at the top of the tent is sort of aimed "over their head". It's about time to do lights out so I've got to add some pH Up and I'll aim the fan at the stems.

BTW, I do leave the inline fan running 24/7 so there's an up draft but, yup, I missed it that bud rot could be an issue.

It's a good sized plant but it's still just one bloody plant. All of this for one plant! OK, all of this for my first plant. :)

Many thanks for you help.

Really dark green and curling downward leaves indicates nitrogen toxicity. Are the tips burned? I would back off Nutes. Im not sure whats going on but your plants do not look happy. I dont know anything about hydro, but also looks like the roots are getting too much water. Do you have an air pump in there?

"nitrogen toxicity" - I've been using Fox Farms nutes at ⅓ the recommended strength. I've had serious problems with pH dropping (0.1 unit per hour) and, in the last 24 hours have upped the EC so that I'm at about 50% strength. Amazingly, the pH has not plummeted the way it was over the past few days.

The tips were burned last week when I was a 40 to 50% strength so I did a res change and dropped to about 33%. The leaf tips are green now.

It's a RWDC res and I have an air pump with 4 air stones.

My water level is ½" below the net pots and the roots are healthy. The res smells "cold and clean".

Im not sure whats going on but your plants do not look happy.
Same here.

To your point about nitrogen, the leaves are dark green rather than medium green. On the other hand, I'm not adding nitrogen — I'm using standard FF nutes at, until just a few days ago, very low concentrations.

They don't have anything that looks like a flower. The buds have shrunk and I'm getting a lot of leaf growth. I'm wondering it the screw up with the light has caused them to re-veg.

Now that you mention it, it does have single leaves like a reveg. Have you been inside the tent zipped up with all lights inside off? Tents leak light and if you have lights on right outside it can cause herm or even reveg. I doubt one day of messed up lights would cause a full reveg.

Luweedgi:

I don't think I did the light check but there's rarely any light on in the garage when the LED is off. I rarely go in the garage after 2000 and it's a Gorilla tent with all of the ports closed tight. There's 60w bulb that goes on when you walk in the garage and it stays on for 10 minute (maybe 5) but that's it. It's just me and my fiancee in the house to there's no other source of light except that 60 watt light.

My thought was that the "random" button was hit just for one day but I can't be sure.

The timer shuts things off at 2000 so I have no reason to go into the garage at night. The power fluctuation was on a Wednesday and I went in the garage on a Saturday evening to check (just after 2000), opened one of the window flaps and saw the LED. Perhaps the random function was running for a few days…

Quick update…

The LED makes it impossible to really see the color of the leaves. I checked a couple of leaves in the sunlight. A leaf from below the canopy was a medium green - what I'd called "regular" looking leaf. The leaves at the top of the stems feel thicker and are a darker green. The plants do have a distinct smell and, when I touch the leaves, there's definitely a residue on my fingers.

The buds look like their smaller now than just a few days ago. I don't have daily pictures but it sure does look like something has seriously changed. I'm beginning to suspect that the light timer cockup has done me in and I've either got a hermie or a reveg situation.

Ugh.

Ouchies this plant is highly stressed.
Enough stress can cause a plant to use up all its available K (potassium) in less then 1hr then exhibit signs of K deficiency and wilt. this will push your harvest date further into the future so making you buds more expensive.. so it might be wise to start again. think about it..

Rescue is possible. here's a little 1,2,3, first aid for plants

1 check the whole plant, roots to the leaves for pest insect attack, fungi and disease. stressed plants are venerable

2 regular folia sprays with K will help rescue her till her roots can deliver. mix as recommended for folia spray

3 Flush is crucial in times of stress. Drain to waste, and flush with filtered water till it drains out clear.
then start a fresh nutrient mix follow the directions on the FF site for nutrient solution mix after the flush..

forward ever
Radic

Ouchies this plant is highly stressed.
Enough stress can cause a plant to use up all its available K (potassium) in less then 1hr then exhibit signs of K deficiency and wilt. this will push your harvest date further into the future so making you buds more expensive.. so it might be wise to start again. think about it..

Rescue is possible. here's a little 1,2,3, first aid for plants

1 check the whole plant, roots to the leaves for pest insect attack, fungi and disease. stressed plants are venerable

2 regular folia sprays with K will help rescue her till her roots can deliver. mix as recommended for folia spray

3 Flush is crucial in times of stress. Drain to waste, and flush with filtered water till it drains out clear.
then start a fresh nutrient mix follow the directions on the FF site for nutrient solution mix after the flush..

forward ever
Radic

What do you use for K foliar?

liquid deep sea Kelp is a good organic source
agg strength potassium bicarbonate<--- rulez... its the same stuff they use to make cakes except way stronger so dont try making cakes with it..
there are microbes available that produce K on demand. they're very cool
and K tea recipes will help too.

Hi folks - I appreciate the feedback.

"Ouchies this plant is highly stressed."
Agree. There were huge pH drops so I culled the other plant that was in the tent. I was a runt - a full 2' shorter than this one and only one stem that looked anything like a normal stem. I culled that one thinking that, perhaps, it was contributing to the pH madness.
Interestingly, after pushing my PPM up from 0.7 EC to 1.2 EC, pH is steady as a rock. Yeh, the plant's not worth a shit but the pH is steady! :)

"Enough stress can cause a plant to use up all its available K (potassium) in less then 1hr then exhibit signs of K deficiency and wilt."
Wow, an hour, eh? I would never have thought that.

"this will push your harvest date further into the future so making you buds more expensive.."
You're completely right about that aspect of it. I've spent a fair amount on this setup (direct costs of just under $3k) but I'm fine with that. I was spending $300 per month (1 oz) so I'll break even on the first (successful) grow.

"so it might be wise to start again. think about it.."
Agree.
When I factor in the "pain level" of what I've run into, I think I've had enough. It's been a superb experience but my plant looks so far gone that I just don't want to put more time and energy into it and have it not turn out.

It's a pretty good sized plant and it did have some buds. Is there anything I can do with the plant to get some yield out of it?

"start again" - no doubt! The temps here in SoCal over the next few months will be low enough that I will need to heat the garage. I can run the Whynter as a heater so I might go that route. Or I might just support my local dispensary until the Spring when the temps make it less of a hassle. Don't know. I'll figure that out later.

For now, I'd love it if I could get some yield from the plant but, if not, so be it.

yes there will be lotsa of CBG on the plant
as soon as you heat or burn CBG it will turn into THC so she will still deliver some relief
yes smoke the bud and dry the rest out and extract the medz. the yield would a been much better if she went full term,,,, but there will be a considerable amount of cco on her,,, well worthy of the effort and expense.
CBG has many medicinal qualities.
this is copied from leafly

What Is CBG and What Are the Benefits of This Cannabinoid? | Leafly

Endocannabinoid receptors are prevalent in eye structures, and interestingly, CBG is thought to be particularly effective in treating glaucoma because it reduces intraocular pressure. It is a powerful vasodilator and has neuroprotective effects to boot.
In animal experiments involving mice, CBG was found to be effective in decreasing the inflammation characteristic of inflammatory bowel disease.
In a recent 2015 study, CBG was shown to protect neurons in mice with Huntington’s disease, which is characterized by nerve cell degeneration in the brain.
CBG is showing great promise as a cancer fighter. Specifically, CBG was shown to block receptors that cause cancer cell growth. In one such study, it was shown to inhibit the growth of colorectal cancer cells in mice, thereby slowing colon cancer growth. CBG inhibited tumors and chemically-induced colon carcinogenesis, therefore demonstrating a very exciting possibility for a cure for colorectal cancer.
European research shows evidence that CBG is an effective antibacterial agent, particularly against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) microbial strains resistant to several classes of drugs. Since the 1950s, topical formulations of cannabis have been effective in skin infections, but researchers at the time were unaware of the plant’s chemical composition.
In a very recent 2017 study, researchers showed that a form of CBG purified to remove delta-9 THC was a very effective appetite stimulant in rats. This may lead to a novel non-psychotropic therapeutic option for cachexia, the muscle wasting and severe weight loss seen in late stage cancer and other diseases.
In a study that looked at the effects of five different cannabinoids on bladder contractions, CBG tested best at inhibiting muscle contractions, so it may be a future tool in preventing bladder dysfunction disorders.

Radic
Hash Oil Rulez

Radic:

Hash oil - I remember that from my college days (1970's) but I run across it since then, though. That would be really great stuff, especially with the portable vapes that are available now.

You know, I should have waited a while to get replies to my post. This grow has taught me a lot but there's been a series of things have come out of nowhere, despite my efforts and plans, and I was just in the mode of "put this behind you". Yeh...I pulled the trigger too soon.

I'm open to what you're suggesting. Norah's stems + foliage are in a plastic bag so what's my next step?

Reading up on harvesting was my next "learning project" but it looks like the time is now instead of later. I don't mean to turn this into a "Heh, Google this for me!" but (it's what comes after the "but" that counts, right?) can you give me advice on what to do with my "harvest" and/or point me in the right direction to learn?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom