My FFOF soil straight out of the bag is giving my plants nitrogen toxicity

28 Grams

They have the classic sign of nitrogen excess: claw like leaves.

I just put my clones in FoxFarm Ocean Forest one week ago and have only given them plain water, except one time I gave them a very small amount of ProTekt (silicone supplement). What can I do at this point? They are currently in 1 gallon fabric pots and I'm going to transplant them into 5 gallon bags soon... should I go out and buy another bag of soil? I thought Ocean Forest was great too

I just put my clones in FoxFarm Ocean Forest one week ago and have only given them plain water, except one time I gave them a very small amount of ProTekt (silicone supplement). What can I do at this point? They are currently in 1 gallon fabric pots and I'm going to transplant them into 5 gallon bags soon... should I go out and buy another bag of soil? I thought Ocean Forest was great too

Pics help

I've never had an issue in about 6 bags of FFOF

Sure it's not heat or a pH issue

One of the FF bagged soils has a reputation for being pretty "hot." I don't remember which one. (They do have good reps.)

As much as I hate the near universal advice here to flush everything all the time, it sounds to me like you do need to give your pots a good flush to lower the nute density a little bit.

BTW, I have seen photos here of young plants here that got burned by hot soil but did fine. (Babies are a little more sensitive.) Some folks even say not to worry about a little nute burn on a young plant from hot soil...

I've heard a lot of people say they have had issues with ffof before but personally I have not experienced any. I start all my seeds in rapid rooters then they go straight into ffof and get transplanted into it as well. I've put clones etc.

But you are not the first to have issues with it, I read that you put clones in soil and watered it multiple times during the week. Is it possible the plants could be over watered? I know that can cause a "clawing effect" with the leaves. Just a thought. If not I would flush with ph water. I've heard people dumping multiple gallons of plain ph water before putting their plants in that soil. Just a thought

Pics help

I've never had an issue in about 6 bags of FFOF

Sure it's not heat or a pH issue

I'm pretty sure it's not a pH issue as I've made sure to pH all the water I give them. BUT it might be a heat issue, I saw my monitor said the highest temp was 95F at one point. I will get a fan for my babies.

One of the FF bagged soils has a reputation for being pretty "hot." I don't remember which one. (They do have good reps.)

As much as I hate the near universal advice here to flush everything all the time, it sounds to me like you do need to give your pots a good flush to lower the nute density a little bit.

BTW, I have seen photos here of young plants here that got burned by hot soil but did fine. (Babies are a little more sensitive.) Some folks even say not to worry about a little nute burn on a young plant from hot soil...

Oh man I am not a fan of flushing... I will give them some time before I do that. When you say "hot" you mean too much nitrogen?

I've heard a lot of people say they have had issues with ffof before but personally I have not experienced any. I start all my seeds in rapid rooters then they go straight into ffof and get transplanted into it as well. I've put clones etc.

But you are not the first to have issues with it, I read that you put clones in soil and watered it multiple times during the week. Is it possible the plants could be over watered? I know that can cause a "clawing effect" with the leaves. Just a thought. If not I would flush with ph water. I've heard people dumping multiple gallons of plain ph water before putting their plants in that soil. Just a thought

It is definitely possible I over watered them! I will post pictures when I get home. It wasn't too bad just a couple leaves. I think they can bounce back with some love.

> Oh man I am not a fan of flushing... I will give them some time before I do that.
Good! There is altogether too much flushing going on around here. (It reminds me of medieval physicians bleeding their patients.)

> When you say "hot" you mean too much nitrogen?
It's not a very precise term. To me it just means a fertilizer that's very concentrated. In NPK terms, maybe 50-50-50, not 10-10-10. Chicken manure is an example of a "hot" fertilizer.

> It is definitely possible I over watered them!
Some of the best advice I've had is "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet." You need to let the soil dry out down about a knuckle deep or so between waterings. You'll get a feel for it. When you overwater, you drown the roots so they can't get any air (at least I'm pretty sure that's what happens).

Hey you guys thanks for all the replies. I guess it was a false alarm, they are looking decent now. I must've been overwatering them. Here they are at day 10.

IMG_20171005_190632_resized.jpg
IMG_20171005_180921_resized.jpg
IMG_20171005_190605_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom