Urgent! What water pump size for Top Feed system?

DontEvenAsk

420 Member
I have 40 gallon reservoirs underneath 3x6 trays with 250GPH active aqua water pumps using 1/2" tubing and 1/4" feeding tubes.. Each tray = 20-24 plants. Problem is, a few of the 1/4" feeding tubes aren't flowing any water so I'm wondering... should I just stick to working with valves for the tubes, or should I just get a stronger pump? Will getting a stronger pump (ex: 500 gph as opposed to 250GPH) solve that problem and flow water through every feed tube? Thanks in advance.

For 20 plants that pump is probably not strong enough. I use a 600gph pump for up to 8 plants. The pump for 8 is kind of over kill but it works perfectly and i can always expand if needed. I think you need a stronger pump for 20 but cant recommend a specific size. You can also run a few small pumps and have it hooked up for every 4 or 6 plants. You may be able to use valves on the 1/4" line to restrict flow but i think its best to get a bigger pump or a few smaller ones.

For 20 plants that pump is probably not strong enough. I use a 600gph pump for up to 8 plants. The pump for 8 is kind of over kill but it works perfectly and i can always expand if needed. I think you need a stronger pump for 20 but cant recommend a specific size. You can also run a few small pumps and have it hooked up for every 4 or 6 plants. You may be able to use valves on the 1/4" line to restrict flow but i think its best to get a bigger pump or a few smaller ones.

You're 100% right. I just tested it. I folded the tube in half so the pump was only pumping for 12 feed lines instead of 24, and they all came out perfectly fine. I'm gonna run and get an extra pump for each res. tomorrow. Appreciate that alot. Are there any pros/cons of getting one bigger pump vs two decent sized ones?

Back
Top Bottom