SCROG Help! Think Different

mackdaddyerb

I am planning an auto flower Grow and want to use the ScrOG method for maximum yield

I will be growing TWO Dutch Passions Think Different in a 2'x4'x5' tent using a 700w (or 900w) Mars Hydro ii

I know there is controversy as to whether or not to scrog autos but I've decided to go ahead as others have done so with this strain and have done well

I plan to set the screen 12 inches above the top of the pot

My question: -

1. How long should I scrog for?

2. Is the intention to maximise bud site exposure (at the node?) by tucking all branches so that they grow horizontally, then allow the buds to grow vertically at an even canopy? (are these bud sites ''colas''?) or do you keep tucking them? please expand on this if you can. I am confused

3. Am I better off with the 700w, the 900w, or two 400w's?

I don't see a single problem with scrogging an auto. It's the topping and FIM'ing you want to stay clear of.

1 - you scrog till she's ready to choo down.
2 - yes this is the intention, instead of one main cola you have many.
When flattening out the plant to an even canapy, not only do you maximize light penetration to all the nodes but you can also keep the light closer maximizing the efficiency of the light so most of the plant gets the same amount (rather then the top cola receiving more then the bottom branches).
3 - dont have any led experience but it depends on the lights "coverage". From what I have seen and read most people go with multiple smaller lights when growing lots of plants.
Ex. If your planning on growing one plant at a time. The 900w would be your best option but if you want to grow more then one then 2 400w would most likely be a better option.

Since your growing autos I'd suggest not topping or fimming. If it was me I would lst her down (very early on) 90 degrees and grow it out horizontally under the scrog net. I would continue to tuck everything in untill the last couple weeks of flowering then let it grow vertically.
Personally I would set it up 6-8 inches above the pot.
But as with anything this is your grow and you do what you feel I'd right for tour conditions. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see a grow journal.

I don't see a single problem with scrogging an auto. It's the topping and FIM'ing you want to stay clear of.

1 - you scrog till she's ready to choo down.
2 - yes this is the intention, instead of one main cola you have many.
When flattening out the plant to an even canapy, not only do you maximize light penetration to all the nodes but you can also keep the light closer maximizing the efficiency of the light so most of the plant gets the same amount (rather then the top cola receiving more then the bottom branches).
3 - dont have any led experience but it depends on the lights "coverage". From what I have seen and read most people go with multiple smaller lights when growing lots of plants.
Ex. If your planning on growing one plant at a time. The 900w would be your best option but if you want to grow more then one then 2 400w would most likely be a better option.

Since your growing autos I'd suggest not topping or fimming. If it was me I would lst her down (very early on) 90 degrees and grow it out horizontally under the scrog net. I would continue to tuck everything in untill the last couple weeks of flowering then let it grow vertically.
Personally I would set it up 6-8 inches above the pot.
But as with anything this is your grow and you do what you feel I'd right for tour conditions. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see a grow journal.

Thanks a lot 187budz, really helpful answer.

sorry but what did you mean by choo down?
why do you suggest 6-8 inches? because of the shorter life cycle of an auto?
What can I look for to know when it is near the last couple of weeks flowering?

I will definitely set up a grow journal when I finally get it going :)

Again thanks a lot man

Lol I meant chop down.
Yes because of the shorter life cycle and to take advantage of the lower nodes/get her bending before she thickens up to much.
Look at the strain you have they will have an "expected grow length" ex. 8 weeks from germ to harvest. Let her go vertical on say week 5 or 6. This is all what I would do. Like I said you do what you want/feels right :)

I topped my autoflower girl scouts... was my first ever auto.. so didnt realize they go into flower when they want.. If I do them again ill still do the inital topping or FIM as its called but after that just let them grow and tuck in the scrog.. you'll enjoy the scrog!

Yeah topping an auto can be done with great results but the plant cannot be stressed from any other factors. Heat, excess nutes, over or under watering, etc.

I would drop the screen as low as 6 inches above the top of medium. Especially with an auto. You want to being training as early in the auto life as possible. My photo period is at 8 inches I believe

420-magazine-mobile2055668491.jpg

For a TRUE scrog you tuck the entire stretch. This will create a flat even canopy. Auxins will be distributed evenly meaning all the colas will think they are the top colas. Most screens you will see are more for support. You will notice branches higher than other. This doesnt allow an even amount of light to each growth site like a true screen of green does.

Hope this helps

Pay no attention to the bowl of rice lol been having RH issues. Between 19 and 90%... in the same day.
Looks good budz!! Is your cab near a shower? I know that changed another members humidity a TON! Screen looks great :thumb:

I topped my autoflower girl scouts... was my first ever auto.. so didnt realize they go into flower when they want.. If I do them again ill still do the inital topping or FIM as its called but after that just let them grow and tuck in the scrog.. you'll enjoy the scrog!

Interesting, how did they turn out? Thanks for the info dude, looking forward to scrogging!

Interesting, how did they turn out? Thanks for the info dude, looking forward to scrogging!

they turned out really well.. I wasn't expecting them to go into flower as quick as they did so I didn't get a massive yield but they were reallllly potent =) the details of the grow are in the sig if you want to read up, but yep. I prefer to always top after the third node.. just to get 4 main stalks.

Yeah topping an auto can be done with great results but the plant cannot be stressed from any other factors. Heat, excess nutes, over or under watering, etc.

I would drop the screen as low as 6 inches above the top of medium. Especially with an auto. You want to being training as early in the auto life as possible. My photo period is at 8 inches I believe

420-magazine-mobile2055668491.jpg

For a TRUE scrog you tuck the entire stretch. This will create a flat even canopy. Auxins will be distributed evenly meaning all the colas will think they are the top colas. Most screens you will see are more for support. You will notice branches higher than other. This doesnt allow an even amount of light to each growth site like a true screen of green does.

Hope this helps

Hey man, your plants looking great! what strain is it?

That photo is super helpful.. I will save that and use it for reference when I start growing

I was unaware you could top an auto without issues, so I will definitely keep that in mind.

When you say the entire stretch, do you mean keep tucking from start to finish? this is what I'm unsure about,
once the plant has grown to an even canopy, couldn't you just let it all grow vertically at the same pace? would there be any point?

Will definitely set the screen at 6-8 inches after yours and 187budz recommendation

Thanks dude!

they turned out really well.. I wasn't expecting them to go into flower as quick as they did so I didn't get a massive yield but they were reallllly potent =) the details of the grow are in the sig if you want to read up, but yep. I prefer to always top after the third node.. just to get 4 main stalks.

Just had a quick look through, Id like to give the girl scout cookies ago in the future. What did you think to the solar system 550 dude?

Hey man, your plants looking great! what strain is it?

That photo is super helpful.. I will save that and use it for reference when I start growing

I was unaware you could top an auto without issues, so I will definitely keep that in mind.

When you say the entire stretch, do you mean keep tucking from start to finish? this is what I'm unsure about,
once the plant has grown to an even canopy, couldn't you just let it all grow vertically at the same pace? would there be any point?

Will definitely set the screen at 6-8 inches after yours and 187budz recommendation

Thanks dude!
So there are 4 stages of life for a plant. Or at least that's how I see it. Seedling stage, veggitative growth, preflower and flower. The 1st two occur in 18 - 6 light cycle (or w.e you choose to use, I recommend 20 - 4 for autos). Pre flower just after the flip to 12 12, or when the auto flowers internal timer flips. During this stage the plant goes through a "stretch". In nature this is cannabis attempt to reach up above it's surrounding foliage so it can collect pollen. So ideally you want to continue tucking the branches growths horizontally. You can let them grow up from this point but the bigger arms will out pace the others and won't be a "true scrog". Still a good practice as it will certianly produce more colas than no screen at all, but there likely won't be a truly flat even canopy. Once the preflower and stretch phase has ended, the scrog work is done. No need to continue with any tucking, and buds will begin to swell. At this point the plant will no longer produce very much new growth. The buds will grow but fan leaves likely will not.

Here's great read if you are inclined.

LBH's Famous ScrOG Tutorial | Grow Weed Easy

So there are 4 stages of life for a plant. Or at least that's how I see it. Seedling stage, veggitative growth, preflower and flower. The 1st two occur in 18 - 6 light cycle (or w.e you choose to use, I recommend 20 - 4 for autos). Pre flower just after the flip to 12 12, or when the auto flowers internal timer flips. During this stage the plant goes through a "stretch". In nature this is cannabis attempt to reach up above it's surrounding foliage so it can collect pollen. So ideally you want to continue tucking the branches growths horizontally. You can let them grow up from this point but the bigger arms will out pace the others and won't be a "true scrog". Still a good practice as it will certianly produce more colas than no screen at all, but there likely won't be a truly flat even canopy. Once the preflower and stretch phase has ended, the scrog work is done. No need to continue with any tucking, and buds will begin to swell. At this point the plant will no longer produce very much new growth. The buds will grow but fan leaves likely will not.

Here's great read if you are inclined.

LBH's Famous ScrOG Tutorial | Grow Weed Easy

I have read LBH's tut and it helped but you summarised the scrog very simply for me.
I appreciate that. I feel I fully understand now, and what you said in regards to pre-flower
and stretch, as well as the bigger arms and the explanation of a flat even canopy really filled me in.

Thanks a lot

I am planning an auto flower Grow and want to use the ScrOG method for maximum yield

I will be growing TWO Dutch Passions Think Different in a 2'x4'x5' tent using a 700w (or 900w) Mars Hydro ii

I know there is controversy as to whether or not to scrog autos but I've decided to go ahead as others have done so with this strain and have done well

I plan to set the screen 12 inches above the top of the pot

My question: -

1. How long should I scrog for?

2. Is the intention to maximise bud site exposure (at the node?) by tucking all branches so that they grow horizontally, then allow the buds to grow vertically at an even canopy? (are these bud sites ''colas''?) or do you keep tucking them? please expand on this if you can. I am confused

3. Am I better off with the 700w, the 900w, or two 400w's?
I always wanted to grow Think Big. Another of the "Think" series, I believe there is one other one in the group. This will be fun to follow

Back
Top Bottom