Flip To Flower - Abrupt Or Gradual?

Oldbear

I'm getting close to flipping my girl into flower mode. I'm wondering if a gradual reduction in light from 18 to 12 is easier on the plant than doing it all in one step.

I'm trying to simulate as much 'what happens in nature' as I can. A 6 hour drop in daylight would never happen in 1 day.

Any thoughts?

This is my baby Channelle 21 days today.

BEBFC937-3748-4CE7-ACBF-92BA2CE48D95.jpeg

Nice looking girl. I'm guessing she's auto by the size?. What strain is it? And your idea sounds pretty good.what type of light are you using? Some have veg and bloom switches which could come in handy for what your trying to do.

I'm trying to simulate as much 'what happens in nature' as I can. A 6 hour drop in daylight would never happen in 1 day.

Admirable intention and interesting idea, but you might be overthinking it a little... If you want to simulate what actually "happens in nature," of course, going from 18 hours of sunlight at the summer solstice to 12 at the equinox, you'd gradually reduce the light over 90 days, starting with just a second or two difference a day...

Fortunately, you ain't gotta do that and plants do fine with abrupt changes in their light cycle and will happily shift over to flowering hormones without any taper. (The same holds true for the Christmas Cactus that I just started putting in the kitchen cupboard for 12 hours every night to get it to bloom by the holidays. And I imagine there are commercial greenhouse all over that are getting ready to cut the lights to the poinsettias... ;)) Just flip it! :)

Hi DirtBagg Thanks for your comments.

Its a Channel+ reported to be a fast grower. But I'm not sure that its an auto.

Its in a 2 x 2 cabinet under a Mars Reflector 48 lamp.

Ive just today turned on the bloom light to get her used to that.

Now I'm wondering about the time adjustment. I'm thinking about 30 minutes a day until I get it down to 12 hours. If its an auto, I could just leave it at 18/6 I guess.

Any guidance aappreciated.

I would just just switch to 12/12, iv tried dropping it by an hour over 6 days and i noticed nothing, still harvest the same days as i would with the same strain.

Thanks for sharing this.

What Scientific said. Flip it abruptly. Plants don't grow in buckets of water in the wild. The list goes on.
Your over thinking it. Good luck to you.

Admirable intention and interesting idea, but you might be overthinking it a little... If you want to simulate what actually "happens in nature," of course, going from 18 hours of sunlight at the summer solstice to 12 at the equinox, you'd gradually reduce the light over 90 days, starting with just a second or two difference a day...

Fortunately, you ain't gotta do that and plants do fine with abrupt changes in their light cycle and will happily shift over to flowering hormones without any taper. (The same holds true for the Christmas Cactus that I just started putting in the kitchen cupboard for 12 hours every night to get it to bloom by the holidays. And I imagine there are commercial greenhouse all over that are getting ready to cut the lights to the poinsettias... ;)) Just flip it! :)

Yes a 90 day reduction would be a royal pain. I like the quick flip scenario too but cant help but wonder .....

What Scientific said. Flip it abruptly. Plants don't grow in buckets of water in the wild. The list goes on.
Your over thinking it. Good luck to you.

Ive been accused of that before lol

Ive read many many 'how to grow' articles and not 1 that Ive seen recommends a slow change.

I personally did 16 8 this week before flip. No proof of this but I assume it will help flower hormones to be released before flower and offer a faster flower period. But plenty of growers do awesome with no gradual transition! Best of luck

I personally did 16 8 this week before flip. No proof of this but I assume it will help flower hormones to be released before flower and offer a faster flower period. But plenty of growers do awesome with no gradual transition! Best of luck

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for sharing this.
Of course I've been at 16 8 now for a few days. Pistils popping everywhere and the growth is... wow! An inch last night maybe more. Only problem is I found thripes so I'm going to be spraying frequently until flip this weekend. Should be ok

Ive wondered how much light reduction is enough to trigger flower. Where I am close to Ottawa Canada, by the time you get to 12/12 outside, there is frost.

Ill try the 16/8 for a couple weeks then drop again maybe. What is your plan regarding further light reductions?

Good luck with the bugs.

Ive wondered how much light reduction is enough to trigger flower. Where I am close to Ottawa Canada, by the time you get to 12/12 outside, there is frost.

Ill try the 16/8 for a couple weeks then drop again maybe. What is your plan regarding further light reductions?

Good luck with the bugs.
Thanks I'm not too concerned. I'm going full force at the buggers. I think the answer to your question old bear is yes...

420-magazine-mobile119740712.jpg

I am going down to 12 12 soon. But I'm going to further investigate this in the future.

I feel as though gradual will offer more growth in preflower resulting in larger plants. Again totally unproven. But they grow during the light hours. So the more you can provide during stretch the bigger the plant. Not something I'm looking for currently but for those on time restraint I'm thinking it could really offer a full week shorter veg. Only 4 or 5 weeks instead of 5 or 6. Also when 12 12 hits they are in flower instead of needing to go through stretch at that time. Again untested and unproven but seems to be true so far.

I am in Alaska so I know how it is to have frost Oct 1 latest. Rooster put me onto some great quick finishing strains. Also an auto outdoors would absolutely work wonders!

Back
Top Bottom