What to do when one of several plants die?

SirCatflap

I've started a new grow of OG Kush indoors, 4 plants in 2 perlite hempys that are now about three weeks old. Unfortunately one got nutrient burn and became stunted, and it's clear it's not going to catch up.

My question is what should I now do with the empty space?
Do I start a new seed of another strain?
Do I top the Kush and clone one of the topped bits?
Do I focus on one plant and clone it into 4 later?

Thanks in advance :)

I think 2 plants per container will result in a lot of competition and congestion. An option for you is to pull the second plant from the hempy and repot that one.

How large is your grow space and what is the footprint for your lighting?

I think 2 plants per container will result in a lot of competition and congestion. An option for you is to pull the second plant from the hempy and repot that one.

Thanks for the reply, Oldbear :high-five:

The two containers are quite large, about 40 litres each. I did a scrog in hempy last year with 9 small plants in a similar size tub, so I'm planning on growing fewer plants but making them much larger this time around.

My tent is 1m x 1m x 1.7m with a 1000W LED.

You're onto something there, how long til flip? I guess it would've been better if you had planted them all together cause you really do wanna keep at least 16 hours on for an auto, 18 would be better. Screw it, grab some snips and train the he'll outta the others to fill the space up .

You’re onto something there, how long til flip? I guess it would’ve been better if you had planted them all together cause you really do wanna keep at least 16 hours on for an auto, 18 would be better. Screw it, grab some snips and train the he’ll outta the others to fill the space up .

Well they're 3 weeks old now on an 18 hour cycle, so I'm guessing around another six weeks or so before I flip? I've never grown OG Kush before and I'm still a noob so that's just a guesstimate!

Training is also not a bad suggestion. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post pics yet (also a noob on the forum, haha) but I think a picture might help suss out if training is viable. Let me see if I can organise one.

Of course you are, pics or it didn't happen .
Og Kush is a heavy indica that will stay short and have dense fat golfball nugs. Although short, it will still put out a nice harvest. If you have a really fast flowering AF you can manage it but you may have to extend the veg time on the OG. With a small tent like you have, I don't recommend doing the af at this point but if they were planted together the af would have plenty of time before you flip. Now if you were growing, say Jack Herer or blue dream, you would have to flip tomorrow to keep em in the tent .

Of course you are, pics or it didn't happen .
Og Kush is a heavy indica that will stay short and have dense fat golfball nugs. Although short, it will still put out a nice harvest. If you have a really fast flowering AF you can manage it but you may have to extend the veg time on the OG.

This is my first grow with LED so I'm still messing about with light height, but I think they're looking fairly short so far? Would they definitely be too big to start an autoflower?

You have a great experiment in the making. Leave all as is and see if the single plant does better than the two in the shared hempy.

Id like to see a pic of the runt. Would be interesting to see how she recovers.
My first Grow was a runt and although it took a little longer, she recovered and netted around 130 grams off a small led panel. Can't count her out til she's totally dead!

Here's the poor runt:

gnBCyjZ.png

Although it's difficult to see with the LED, you can still make out the brown edges. I'm assuming it's from nutrient burn:

kxQQVaU.png

Def nute burn, gotta back it off to like 200 parts per million without taking the ppm of your tap water into the equation. Left tote looks okay, but def keep going with the runt. That's not bad looking just the nute burn. These plants can recover nicely. Try giving the right tote a 24 hour flush just water and ease back into the nutes.

Having a good laugh at myself. I thought a 'hempy' was a cloth pot made from hemp. I can buy those here. Comments about congestion don't make any sense based on what you are actually doing.

How is the runt doing?

How is the runt doing?

She's marginally bigger, I'll post an updated photo tomorrow. I think you guys are right, it's worth seeing how she goes! Thanks again for the help :)

While we're here, I think this might be a good time for the first topping? They're at five nodes now.

Stripping with less than 18 nodes is against the law!!!
It's up to you, it all depends on how you want to grow her. If you keep them, they will catch up with the new growth tips and you'll have a bonsai tree. It could wind up looking like this
420-magazine-mobile1048199603.jpg

But that one didn't get topped til like the 8th node.

This one I topped early and stripped the lowers and manifolded her
420-magazine-mobile1312725580.jpg

Usually you would take everything below your new tops but I left a node below to reverse for fem seed making.

You can get as creative as you want to, this one I did different as well and it looks cool as hell
420-magazine-mobile1368503000.jpg

It gets pretty bushy though. You may want to try and keep the plants off each other since you have four. This cab is like 2x2.5 and she filled it out
420-magazine-mobile1615034184.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1668348994.jpg

This is how tight I got her nodes
420-magazine-mobile1012220351.jpg

You will try different things and develop your own training style that works for your space through experimentation and the possibilities are endless. Sorry I dropped so many of my pics on your thread.

No worries about the pics dude, that's super helpful to know what to aim for. I definitely left mine too long to be properly topped like that!

I'm considering restarting my grow with some Blue Dream or C99, these OGs are proving tricky. The runt has grown a little but gets further behind every day, and those brown edges have appeared on one of the healthy girls despite them receiving half strength nutes (Green House powder).

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom