Seed Won't Grow - Help!

silknsatin

I've tried to germinate two seeds by placing them in damp paper towels. Both times they've sprouted. However, after I placed them in the dirt, they failed to break through. What's happening?

What are you using for dirt? Toxic mill tailings? (Kidding ;))

I'm gonna guess that your seeds are at room temperature, so that's OK.
I'm gonna assume you're treating them very gently, so OK there.

That leaves depth and soil.

Depth: I personally plant mine so the seed head is just barely under the soil. Everyone seems to say to plant deeper, but that works for me.
Soil: Soil should be excellent quality, drain well (mix in 20% perlite or add some vermiculite), and kept damp but not wet. Beginners tend to overwater, but as some guru told me here, "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet." A plastic dome or even a little Saran Wrap during the first few days can help.

If I had to guess based on what I've seen around here, you're planting too deep. Have you dug up the bodies for a post mortem?

Hang in there. It will happen. :)

I'm gonna guess that your seeds are at room temperature, so that's OK.
I'm gonna assume you're treating them very gently, so OK there.

That leaves depth and soil.

Depth: I personally plant mine so the seed head is just barely under the soil. Everyone seems to say to plant deeper, but that works for me.
Soil: Soil should be excellent quality, drain well (mix in 20% perlite or add some vermiculite), and kept damp but not wet. Beginners tend to overwater, but as some guru told me here, "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet." A plastic dome or even a little Saran Wrap during the first few days can help.

If I had to guess based on what I've seen around here, you're planting too deep. Have you dug up the bodies for a post mortem?

Hang in there. It will happen. :)

. While I'm definitely still a newbie, this is my second grow. I planted them right beneath the soil, because like you mentioned, I thought if I planted too deep they wouldn't break through. But I think maybe I did over water, especially after they didn't show for a day or two. And I didn't think about digging up the bodies...lol.

So, I'll dig up the "bodies"...lol. Should I replace them in the paper towel? Also, do you actually place the Saran Wrap over the entire top of the pot? Thanks so much for your help! .

Hi -- Well do your digging gently. Maybe they're still viable down there?

You can drown a seed by giving it too much water and cutting off the oxygen, but it takes a LOT of water (and poorly draining soil).

The Saran Wrap is just a vapor barrier to provide a little extra humidity during the first few days. It's sometimes called a humidity dome. You can cover the pot or (what I usually do) leave a little air gap.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Hi -- Well do your digging gently. Maybe they're still viable down there?

You can drown a seed by giving it too much water and cutting off the oxygen, but it takes a LOT of water (and poorly draining soil).

The Saran Wrap is just a vapor barrier to provide a little extra humidity during the first few days. It's sometimes called a humidity dome. You can cover the pot or (what I usually do) leave a little air gap.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Hey there! I'll give it a shot. I've only got 2 more OG Kush seeds left, and I don't want to waste them...lol. Thanks again!

I'm the opposite and after being convinced to try it by my flytying friend I planted mine directly into my final pot this time around. His reasoning was.....as the seed sprout its first taproot out and into a papertowel , it's throwing out teeny tiny hairs from it's main root in order to start uptaking water. When you (us) sees the little taproot we remove it from the papertowel and place it in soil, essentially ripping the tiniest of root systems apart. So, this time I decided to soak my seeds til they dropped, then plant directly into soil......my final pot. Here I am week 5 and these 3 are the healthiest of all 3 runs so far. I'm in Fox Farm Ocean forest soil and haven't used any salt based fertilizers at all.

Lmao......priceless!

I'm the opposite and after being convinced to try it by my flytying friend I planted mine directly into my final pot this time around. His reasoning was.....as the seed sprout its first taproot out and into a papertowel , it's throwing out teeny tiny hairs from it's main root in order to start uptaking water. When you (us) sees the little taproot we remove it from the papertowel and place it in soil, essentially ripping the tiniest of root systems apart. So, this time I decided to soak my seeds til they dropped, then plant directly into soil......my final pot. Here I am week 5 and these 3 are the healthiest of all 3 runs so far. I'm in Fox Farm Ocean forest soil and haven't used any salt based fertilizers at all.

What do you mean soak them until they drop? Do you literally place them in water until they sprout?

Soak them until they drop as in until they sink to the bottom other container.

Just a bit more info to add... After a day or so you can gently push the seeds down sometimes they just need some help sinking. If it floats right back to the top it's probably not ready though but other times they'll just sink when you tap em.

What do you mean soak them until they drop? Do you literally place them in water until they sprout?

Until they sprout a taproot not a seedling. It's just a white root that emerges from the seed... That's how I used to germinate was just toss em in water for a few days. I personally just plant everything straight in jiffy pellets or rapid rooters now though. But again water method does work just soak them until you see a taproot or others just soak for 24-48 hours then plant regardless of taproot showing or not... I've kept beans in the water for 3-4 days no problem before so I know some will claim they will drown after that much time but I wouldn't worry.

Until they sprout a taproot not a seedling. It's just a white root that emerges from the seed... That's how I used to germinate was just toss em in water for a few days. I personally just plant everything straight in jiffy pellets or rapid rooters now though. But again water method does work just soak them until you see a taproot or others just soak for 24-48 hours then plant regardless of taproot showing or not... I've kept beans in the water for 3-4 days no problem before so I know some will claim they will drown after that much time but I wouldn't worry.

Ok, thanks! .

What I do: I sit them in room temp water overnight. Then in to damp paper towels until the seed splits and the teeny white root makes an appearance. I dont let it grow long but many do. Then I drop them into the damp soil in a hole 1/4 inch deep with the white root pointing down.

I go 36 hours in a cup of water on top of my fridge and then I plant the seeds directly into my Coco about a quarter inch deep. With seedlings deeper is better to a point you want the round bulbous part to be down and the pointy tip to be up. What the new seedling will do is send the tap root up and then back down. That pulls the seed head up from below and then it'll pull the seed head up afterwards that removes the seed cap.

I'm assuming then that this was a step that was missed on your initial go? If that's the case, then the seeds may still be viable.....just slower. I'd keep at keeping that soil moist but not soaked for the next couple of days to see if they make an appearance? No harm in trying......try saran over the cup to increase humidity.

I'm assuming then that this was a step that was missed on your initial go? If that's the case, then the seeds may still be viable.....just slower. I'd keep at keeping that soil moist but not soaked for the next couple of days to see if they make an appearance? No harm in trying......try saran over the cup to increase humidity.

I'd never heard of soaking the seed in water, only placing in the damp paper towel or directly in the dirt. At this point the seeds have been in the dirt for at least a week. Is it possible for them to still be viable?

I’d never heard of soaking the seed in water, only placing in the damp paper towel or directly in the dirt. At this point the seeds have been in the dirt for at least a week. Is it possible for them to still be viable?

Yeah, I think most people usually soak them in water for 24 hours or even longer to fully hydrate the seed so as to start the biological machinery inside. If your seeds have just been sitting in slightly damp soil, they may not have gotten fully hydrated yet and are just getting off to a slower start. That sounds like a great explanation.

Here are some great germination instructions from sponsor cropkingseeds.com: Marijuana Seeds Canada - Germinate - Crop King Seeds

I had 5 seeds from CropKing, followed their instructions for germinating 3 of them.

All 3 produced a tap root, but rotted away after planting...

The last 2 seeds, I just put them into wet jiffy Pellets, into a tray with a humidity dome, and on a heated seedling mat.

Once they sprouted, I moved them to their permanent home in big pots...

I had 5 seeds from CropKing, followed their instructions for germinating 3 of them.

All 3 produced a tap root, but rotted away after planting...

The last 2 seeds, I just put them into wet jiffy Pellets, into a tray with a humidity dome, and on a heated seedling mat.

Once they sprouted, I moved them to their permanent home in big pots...
Items needed
1.) Bag of light warrior seed starter soil fox farms.

2.) Cotton rounds

3.) Zip lock baggie

4.) Dark colored jewelry box

5.) Solo cups

6.) Ph 6.0 water

Do this, get a black jewelry box for a necklace.

Than you will need a zip lock baggie big enough to fit in jewelry case and hold a cotton round in it.

Get 1 cotton round out mist it with ph 6.0 water and seperate the cotton round allowing space for seeds.

Put 5 seeds is max for me. Inside of cotton round.

Than wet cotton round thoroughly but dont soak it.

Mist the inside of ziplock and put into jewelry box.

Stick under light keep closed for 24 hours.

Check the cotton round for the first few days make sure it isn't dry.

On the 3rd day max you should fill a red solo cup up with light warrior seed starter soil moisten soil well.

Cover the cup with a sandwich bag and elastic put under light.

Within 4 days you should have a sprout.

Back
Top Bottom