Are tall skinny starts bad?

If you could include a photo or two and give some info about soil, lights, fertilizer, strain, and how long your "start" has been growing, that would really help.

That said, yes, usually tall and skinny means the plant isn't getting enough light and so is stretching out in hope of getting more.

Can’t get pics to work. Still trying to figure it out. Going to get a better light today and I’ll try that out

Uploading photos for the first time is kind of a chore. Just bear in mind that (at least on a desktop), all you have to do is drag or click on the photos and click through two screens of settings. You do NOT have to full in all of the boxes on those pages if you don't want to. That makes the process simpler and easier.

Hi chris.
Your seedlings are looking good.
One of them has stretched a little. Like scientific said, they need stronger, bigger or more light.

A tiny fan blowing small amounts of air around will move them gently, that will strengthen them as well.
Only a little bit of air and not directly at them, don't want to blow them over.

The problem with transplanting too early is it's very easy to damage the roots. You do that and you could kill them while they are that young. If you're not very experienced, I'd wait until they at least have a few nodes, and at least a couple sets of 5 blades leaves... the biggest mistake most growers make, besides over watering, is transplanting to early or to many times before flower. Every transplant of a plant with weak roots will stress the plant. If you let them fill in those pots first you'll have less problems. But yes, definitely need more light and a good fan. Really they all look pretty stretched to me.

They look a nice colour chris. Just get as much light on them as possible.
Depending on what light you are using, you want to get the light as close as possible WITHOUT burning them.
What light are you using?

Also they look like they got a watering not so long ago, let them dry out a little before you water them again.

They look a nice colour chris. Just get as much light on them as possible.
Depending on what light you are using, you want to get the light as close as possible WITHOUT burning them.
What light are you using?

Also they look like they got a watering not so long ago, let them dry out a little before you water them again.

Using a hydro farm 400w light. From what I have read light needs to be 1ft from plant. Which is where I have it. I did just watered it before taking the picture.

Yeah chris that's plenty of light now. Definitely watch it doesn't get to close now, those bulbs kick out some heat. 1 foot sounds good, but if the leafs start curling then raise it a little.
Just a little bit of air movement and you'll be golden.

Chris the tin foil (aluminium) isn't a good idea, it creates hot spots and doesn't reflect that well.
Your origanal background was better, or flat white paint has a better reflective surface.

Chris the tin foil (aluminium) isn't a good idea, it creates hot spots and doesn't reflect that well.
Your origanal background was better, or flat white paint has a better reflective surface.

I transferred them to bigger pots. Got rid of the foil. Leaves seem to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom