CMH lighting in a sealed tent

madframermrc

hi all, new to the forum here, I was planning on purchasing a 630 cmh for my 4.5x4.5 tent. am running 1000w a/c fixture with no heat issues.
tent is sealed as I'm running co2. my question is anyone running a sealed tent with 630 cmh open fixture what kind of heat does it emit? is your a/c running your entire daycycle? I can't seem to find anyone who carry's an a/c cmh fixture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get as much info before I drop that kinda scratch on a new light (sorry hun).

hi all, new to the forum here, I was planning on purchasing a 630 cmh for my 4.5x4.5 tent. am running 1000w a/c fixture with no heat issues.
tent is sealed as I'm running co2. my question is anyone running a sealed tent with 630 cmh open fixture what kind of heat does it emit? is your a/c running your entire daycycle? I can't seem to find anyone who carry's an a/c cmh fixture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get as much info before I drop that kinda scratch on a new light (sorry hun).
It will be less heat than the 1000, for sure. I run two 630's and a 315 in my room. It's sealed. Temp never gets above 78.

Welcome to 420! :passitleft:

Why downgrade your light?

If you want considerably better efficency DIY COB's/Quantum Boards is the only way to go, unless you want to pay 100's of $ for some company to slap a name on inferior tech...

It will be less heat than the 1000, for sure. I run two 630's and a 315 in my room. It's sealed. Temp never gets above 78.
thanks for the reply pontiacman, can I ask what kind of difference on g per watt are you getting from your lighting as opposed to previous lighting?

Welcome to 420! :passitleft:

Why downgrade your light?

If you want considerably better efficency DIY COB's/Quantum Boards is the only way to go, unless you want to pay 100's of $ for some company to slap a name on inferior tech...
thanks for the reply PurpleGunRack
I guess I'm old school always ran mh/hps 1000w
but some people I've talked to are getting some impressive feedback on these lights. Personally I've never run led, the purple lights just threw me off I guess. Also research has been showing nothing but good reviews on cmh lighting.

CMH's are probably fine, but not much more effiecient than HID especially not if you use 400w less power, I'll guarantee you get worse results than you get now.
Basically if what you have works, you shouldn't throw money after old ass technology :)

COB's and Quantum Boards are white light LED's ;)

Gpw is much more about the grower and the strain than the lighting, nobody ever got near 1gpw with a landrace sativa ;)
And doesn't take time or actual electricity consumption in consideration, so a more accurate way of maesuring your light output would be g per KwH.

thanks for the reply purplegun rack,
here's what I'm understanding about cmh yes less watts but same par as 1000w less heat = closer to canopy plus the intro to high ir specs improving res production. led lighting has me somewhat confused with all these options/price difference's. I've seen led as low as $40 online lol then one that looks similar for $1000. my hydro store doesn't even stock led lighting so that's 1 main reason never looked into tech.

here's what I'm understanding about cmh yes less watts but same par as 1000w less heat = closer to canopy plus the intro to high ir specs improving res production. led lighting has me somewhat confused with all these options/price difference's. I've seen led as low as $40 online lol then one that looks similar for $1000. my hydro store doesn't even stock led lighting so that's 1 main reason never looked into tech.
Thats exactly the reason I went cmh instead of led.

But i wouldn't compare it to 1000w. Maybe 600 but its different and definitely works well. I only got to use it during the second half of flower

with my environment I was looking at no less then 630w to start, then see how environment adapts, which are you running? in how big a space?

with my environment I was looking at no less then 630w to start, then see how environment adapts, which are you running? in how big a space?
Sorry I misread the post. I thought u meant 315. I think with the right ventilation it would be perfect for a 4.5×4.5. Maybe even try out some mixed spectrum

630w CMH won't match 1000w HPS, and I'm certain you'll be disappointed if you buy it.
As far as I've read about the tech in actual use a 315 replaces a 400w HPS.
HPS has plenty IR (Which doesn't increase resin, that's UVB and resin doesn't equal potency), IR is for making use of the Emerson effect which increase cell division in plants.
Spectrum is less important than total number of photons hitting the plants.

Forget about off the shelf LED's, they'll grow fine meds like CMH will, but you can't match the upfront cost vs long term cost you get with HPS. It's all about DIY now and the top tech is the hands of the growers now ;)

If it's about getting the same PPFD with lower wattage and not having to replace bulbs, keep heat down, get the most PPFD per watt used, have a lamp that stays efficient for +5 years -> the only worthwhile way is DIY COB's or Quantum Boards and don't be afraid of the electrical DIY it's quite easy just watch some youtube vids and start a thread so DIY nerds can help you out.

How much is the light you're looking at?

630w CMH won't match 1000w HPS, and I'm certain you'll be disappointed if you buy it.
As far as I've read about the tech in actual use a 315 replaces a 400w HPS.
HPS has plenty IR (Which doesn't increase resin, that's UVB and resin doesn't equal potency), IR is for making use of the Emerson effect which increase cell division in plants.
Spectrum is less important than total number of photons hitting the plants.

Forget about off the shelf LED's, they'll grow fine meds like CMH will, but you can't match the upfront cost vs long term cost you get with HPS. It's all about DIY now and the top tech is the hands of the growers now ;)

If it's about getting the same PPFD with lower wattage and not having to replace bulbs, keep heat down, get the most PPFD per watt used, have a lamp that stays efficient for +5 years -> the only worthwhile way is DIY COB's or Quantum Boards and don't be afraid of the electrical DIY it's quite easy just watch some youtube vids and start a thread so DIY nerds can help you out.

How much is the light you're looking at?
Quantum boards or cob's seem to be one of the better way to go these days. But cmh and hps will always have its place

HID is the best way to go if the main concern is upfront cost, no doubt. Depending on cost of CMH it might be fine too - if you need a new light, but if it's to replace a working HID system, it won't ever outlast or outblast what you have and the ''investment'' will have no return but the exitement of getting something new and basically you end up paying more per gram of pure THC over the following years ;)

Pretty much every light available today will grow fine meds, but if you want a bang for your buck you have to go DIY :)

thanks for the reply pontiacman, can I ask what kind of difference on g per watt are you getting from your lighting as opposed to previous lighting?
Couldn't tell you gpw....cmh are efficient weather people want to believe it or not. A 630 LEC will give dang near the same results as a 1000 watt with half the power usage. I've seen it in comparison. Make your own decisions on this.

OK just checked the price on amazon $821 - DON'T BUY!!!

Couldn't tell you gpw....cmh are efficient weather people want to believe it or not. A 630 LEC will give dang near the same results as a 1000 watt with half the power usage. I've seen it in comparison. Make your own decisions on this.

No offense, but dang near won't knock anybody of their horse...
Doesn't it draw 630w? What about ballast loss?
The bulbs have to be changed right, and how quickly do they lose output?
Read that it's meant for replacing 1000w MH for veg.
Like HID reflector loss comes in play too.

Not saying it's not efficient and probably is a very nice lamp, but you get WAAAAAAAY more photons for the same money by getting the latest LED tech, hell I paid less for getting 4x QB 135w kits with shipping halfway around the globe!
At 550w combined draw they equal the PPFD of a 1000w HPS SE bulb and has better coverage with 4 points of light.

@madframermrc think about how much electricity and HPS bulbs 800 bucks will get you ;)

so the main reason I was planning on the switch is my store is offering me a 315 for $315 lol and the 630 for $489. that sounds like a pretty good deal, crap forgot to mention that price no bulb, but bulbs go for about$150. all Canadian pricing!

OK just checked the price on amazon $821 - DON'T BUY!!!

No offense, but dang near won't knock anybody of their horse...
Doesn't it draw 630w? What about ballast loss?
The bulbs have to be changed right, and how quickly do they lose output?
Read that it's meant for replacing 1000w MH for veg.
Like HID reflector loss comes in play too.

Not saying it's not efficient and probably is a very nice lamp, but you get WAAAAAAAY more photons for the same money by getting the latest LED tech, hell I paid less for getting 4x QB 135w kits with shipping halfway around the globe!
At 550w combined draw they equal the PPFD of a 1000w HPS SE bulb and has better coverage with 4 points of light.

@madframermrc think about how much electricity and HPS bulbs 800 bucks will get you ;)
Yes. 630 out of the wall. Bulbs are good for 20,000 hours of use. That said, they only degrade 2% after that.
You can't do that with a MH. You have to change out bulbs frequently costing more money. I purchased mine from a guy for $400 for 2 630's. Still have a 1 year warranty on them. I got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom