Seedling Troubles

Herbshuttles

Hey guys,

So this is my first grow, bare with me. I'm growing two crop king Purple Kush in 5 gallon pots, with Happy Frog soil, 300W Vipar Spectra LED's and using filtered tap water scaled to 6.5 on the pH (no nutrients at all just yet); all inside a 4x4x6.5 reflective tent. Lights are positioned roughly 38-42 inches away from the top of the seedlings.
I planted these 2-4 days ago after germination. The healthier looking seedling sprouted out of the dirt within the first day. The unhealthier one took a day longer and took a while to lose its shell. Can somebody help me out and let me know what I'm doing wrong here, or let me know if it's natural to have a weaker plant like this? Or let me know if the one I perceive to be healthy is actually not, and if there's anything I can do to fix them? Is this over or under watering, light burn, nutrient burn (from the rich soil) etc. thanks in advance for any help!!

Also, the lights are pretty much as high up as I can hang them; what can I do when the plants get higher (like in flowering, I plan to SCROG so I'm not terribly worried about them being too close to the lights during vegetation).
IMG_522716.JPG
IMG_52266.JPG

Your plants look fine and your setup sounds great. :thumb:

If your lights are as high as they can go and you're worried about not enough height, either buy a taller tent or use a shorter vegetative cycle.

Your plants look fine and your setup sounds great. :thumb:

If your lights are as high as they can go and you're worried about not enough height, either buy a taller tent or use a shorter vegetative cycle.

Phew great to hear! Saw the dark color on the one leaf and got worried. Do you think it's just a piece of the shell leftover?
As for the rent, it's already 6.5 ft and my ceiling is probably only 7-8 ft. Not sure it would be worth the effort of getting a new rent. Might have to veg shorter

Yeah, shell fragment.
Remember that during the flowering "stretch" your plant can get two or three times bigger, so yeah, if you're growing sativa, better keep it a short veg cycle. ;)

If you have limited height I would suggest doing LST - it will spread the plant out, even out the tops, and will utilize the light better by allowing more light to more of the plant, which in turn will also increase your yield. The inside of the shell has a membrane which encapsules the sprout and sometimes it doesn't come loose - it won't hurt anything. Good luck.

If you have limited height I would suggest doing LST - it will spread the plant out, even out the tops, and will utilize the light better by allowing more light to more of the plant, which in turn will also increase your yield.

Yes, by all means. And if it looks like it's about to hit the top of the tent, you can start supercropping. ;)

Yes, by all means. And if it looks like it's about to hit the top of the tent, you can start supercropping. ;)

From up close inspection it still looks like it's the leaf not shell fragment but I'll take your guys word for it! And is scrogging a form of LST? I also plan on topping as well. Excited to share updates with you guys as time passes. Thanks for the tips and piece of mind!

From up close inspection it still looks like it's the leaf not shell fragment but I'll take your guys word for it! And is scrogging a form of LST? I also plan on topping as well. Excited to share updates with you guys as time passes. Thanks for the tips and piece of mind!

I believe scrogging is considered a form of Low Stress Training (LST) , but I think what they mean by LST is to tie the branches down individually with string. I tied mine to the sides of the pots with nylon string. You can LST a little sooner and then move to scrogging as the plant gets taller. What I did was. I topped my plants once they got 4 nodes. Then once my 4 branches on 1 plant and 6 on the other got tall enough. I tied the branches down individually until the plant filled in. Which will happen because the light is hitting the branches/leaves in the middle that would normally be blocked by the upper leaves that are now pulled sideways by the string. The branches will turn up towards the light. As they grow up a few inches, tie them down a little higher on the branches. Continue this until you run out of horizontal space and then flip to flower cycle. Spreading the plant out horizontally also helps nute distribution through the whole plant instead of the nutes being focused on 1 main cola. This is what I've gathered based on my reading. Hope this helps

Spray a little water on the leaf with the membrane still on it to soften it and you can easily remove it with a toothpick if it bothers you. Scogging consists of a combination of topping, lst'ing , and putting a net over the plant to force it grow horizontally below the net. If I were you, I would just do lst for my first time.

Back
Top Bottom