Terms used in growing and strain selection

ScienceSeeker

I am bamboozled when I see plants coated in what appears to be a sugary coating. WTF is this and how do I get some? Its about the coolest thing I have seen, Is it a goody or a badie?

next question is WTF is Auto Flowering when a seed is described? I have seen this over and over but do not have the first idea what it is. My best guess at feminized is the ladies are the only ones that bring home the bud.

Any ideas? :thanks:

Those, my friend, are trichomes and they are very good because that's where all the good stuff is! They are a plants natural defense from ultraviolet light. We tan, but plants put out a natural sunscreen. Most of the thc comes from these. When you flower your plant, she will produce them, and you can use certain boosters to encourage more.

Autoflowering means the plant has written into its genetics to flower after a certain amount of time regardless of your light cycle. A photoperiod plant will need 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness to transition to flower, whereas auto flowers come from a region that never sees less than 12 hours so they don't need that to flower. Breeders have come a long way incorporating these Ruderallis genes into their other strains to create an autoflowering strain. Any other questions I will be glad to help, as will many others I'm sure! Welcome to :420: !

Feminized means the seed will always be female. Regular means it could be either. Fem seeds are a product of a grower reversing the sex of part of the plant using an ethylene blocker like colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate (sts) which will stop the branch from producing female flowers. The plant will then produce male instead but the pollen is female so any seeds produced with this pollen will be feminized.

I am bamboozled when I see plants coated in what appears to be a sugary coating. WTF is this and how do I get some? Its about the coolest thing I have seen, Is it a goody or a badie?

next question is WTF is Auto Flowering when a seed is described? I have seen this over and over but do not have the first idea what it is. My best guess at feminized is the ladies are the only ones that bring home the bud.

Any ideas? :thanks:

Just woke up and smoked one, I'll give it a shot.

That sugary coating is the tricombs which contain most of the plants essential oils. Basically it's the part that gets you high so I reckon it's a "goody".

Normally outdoor plants know when to to create buds based on how much sunlight and nighttime darkness they receive (this is sometimes called a photoperiod). It's how they know winter will be coming and it's time to procreate. Plants from the very far north where the sun doesn't go fully dark at night have adapted to produce buds without the dark period. These plants don't traditionally produce quality buds but by cross breeding with traditional photoperiod plants people have created high quality strains that don't require darkness to create buds. These are known as autoflowering plants.

To create buds on a photoperiod plant you must give them about 12 hours darkness everyday. An autoflowering plant will create buds regardless of the hours of darkness.

Feminized seeds are created without using a male plant. The resulting seeds will grow mostly female plants. As with everything in nature there can be unexpected results, male and hermie plants can occur which is why the seeds are called "feminized" instead of "female".

Back
Top Bottom