First time grower here with a question

Mantrum

So I'm starting with a simple setup 3 plants 600 watt light and a grow tent that is like 4x3x4 anyway my main questions are #1 - what sized pots should I use #2- and after germination whats the best type of soil to use. btw I am going to be growing Candy Cane if that matters. I'm pretty excited to get this all going and of coarse have read all over the place different things but those are the 2 questions that have so many mixed answers.

Re: first time grower here with a question.

So I'm starting with a simple setup 3 plants 600 watt light and a grow tent that is like 4x3x4 anyway my main questions are #1 - what sized pots should I use #2- and after germination whats the best type of soil to use. btw I am going to be growing Candy Cane if that matters. I'm pretty excited to get this all going and of coarse have read all over the place different things but those are the 2 questions that have so many mixed answers.

I recently purchased a 3x3x6ft tent and am using 3 gal fabric pots. For the soil, you may want to look into "Kind" soil out of Michigan. Google "Kind Soil" and read everything. The manufacturer doesn't want to call it "super soil" but it kind of is. All you have to do is pH water it. Since this is your first grow, you want it as simple as possible. Cost wise, comparing the $$ you would spend on nutrition to just the Kind soil, the soil is cheaper. Happy gardening! :Namaste:

Soil depends on what you can get or make really. Stay away from the ones with any time release nutes. Maybe check a local hydroponic store and see what they have

I start in a solo cup for about 2 weeks, go to a 1 gal then to final 3-5gal fabric pot

I am also a first time grower. I'm using fox farm ocean forest and having very good results thus far! I would highly recommend if you're wanting to go the all organic direction! Best of luck

Maybe google Doc Bud OC+ he found this to be a super cheap, very effective way to grow a while back. That's if you're not worried about organic... if you want organic, I'd do as they stated above and look into some good soil. As far as starting seeds and transplanting goes...
It's really better to only transplant once. Especially if you're inexperienced. Start in a 1gal pot... let your roots get pretty root bound, then transplant to your final container. Works great, and with the very well established roots you won't stress them with a transplant. Underdeveloped Roots can cause some problems with transplanting. Also take note of the weight of a dry 1gal pot of soil full of soil. You want it almost that light before you water In veg. Let it dry out, the roots will thank you.

I am also a first time grower. I'm using fox farm ocean forest and having very good results thus far! I would highly recommend if you're wanting to go the all organic direction! Best of luck
I too am loving the Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil, I did it has kind of an experiment but... Just so you know, keep an eye out for rusty spots out about the 6 week mark after termination... Could be a calcium deficiency. I ran into it, because my pH pen is on the fritz I thought it was a pH problem. It got a few more days on me before I realized what it was and corrected it. Just be aware!

Our friend above has some great advice with the kind soil, if it were available at a reasonable price in Canada I Would by 10 bags myself. If you want proof of how well kind soil Works, look at Van Stanks journal on growing the Alaskan Thunder fuck. He used kind soil all the way through with amazing results.

Also I'm with Chris down to a tee, I would use Solo cups for germination, only I would go immediately from my Solo cups into my final pot between 3 - 5 gallons. As you get more in tune with your grows, you will find that you will want to increase your final pot size depending on how large you want your plants to be. I am a firm believer that the plants will grow as large as your pot allow your plants to grow. Pot size is crucial for final size in soil/ coco.

Our friend above has some great advice with the kind soil, if it were available at a reasonable price in Canada I Would by 10 bags myself. If you want proof of how well kind soil Works, look at Van Stanks journal on growing the Alaskan Thunder fuck. He used kind soil all the way through with amazing results.

Also I'm with Chris down to a tee, I would use Solo cups for germination, only I would go immediately from my Solo cups into my final pot between 3 - 5 gallons. As you get more in tune with your grows, you will find that you will want to increase your final pot size depending on how large you want your plants to be. I am a firm believer that the plants will grow as large as your pot allow your plants to grow. Pot size is crucial for final size in soil/ coco.

In canada? I'd look at finding BlueSky Organics soil if you can. Specifically formulated for cannabis. I love it, and so do the plants.

In canada? I'd look at finding BlueSky Organics soil if you can. Specifically formulated for cannabis. I love it, and so do the plants.
For sure. Theirs lots of organic companies popping up selling organic products. The difference between these companies products and kind soil is that kind soil is water only. Black swallow living soils & Bluesky organicz are all base soils that you amend yourself.

For sure. Theirs lots of organic companies popping up selling organic products. The difference between these companies products and kind soil is that kind soil is water only. Black swallow living soils & Bluesky organicz are all base soils that you amend yourself.
Bluesky you use straight out of the bag

Another great soil is royal gold basement mix. I had great results as with ocean forest. Very airy with a good amount of perlite.
Love that name "basement mix", sounds like high PSI concrete lol.

Another great soil is royal gold basement mix. I had great results as with ocean forest. Very airy with a good amount of perlite.
I have also added more perlite into my ocean forest as well. 10-20% should be plenty! Just an fyi. Happy thanksgiving all!

Back
Top Bottom