Help with first grow?

Noraad

420 Member
Running into some issues with my first grow.

I'm growing a Crop King Seeds Dwarf Low-Flyer in a homemade grow box, 2x2x3. I'm growing in soil, in a 3 gallon fabric pot. It's about 6 days since sprout, with no changes in the past couple days. I've been adjusting my water to about 6.5 PH. I just tested the runoff with the vial/drops and the runoff is coming back at around 4 PH. Is this something I need to be concerned about right now?

For lighting I'm using a 150W HPS Sunsystem thing I got as a starter light from my local hydro shop. May be a bit overkill for right now, but it's all I have at the moment. Any words of advice are appreciated!

Also, if I'm not in the right place, feel free to move this to wherever I need to be :)

Thanks

DLF6_1_.jpg

Figured it out.

Sitting steady at around 25c (77f) during both periods. Hasn't changed in a few days, growth-wise. It's on a 20/4 schedule. I'm wondering more about the PH being so low in my runoff, and what I can do to fix that.

I'm not sure how to ph correct soil maybe flush it with 6.5 ph

Sitting steady at around 25c (77f) during both periods. Hasn't changed in a few days, growth-wise. It's on a 20/4 schedule. I'm wondering more about the PH being so low in my runoff, and what I can do to fix that.

Hey Noradd -- Have a look at the first two links in my sig file for my misadventures in growing Dwarf Low Flyer. It's a fun little plant.

To check your soil pH, you could make a soil slurry like in this Hanna Instruments video. (You probably don't have a magnetic stirrer, but do the best you can. ;)) I'd be curious to see what pH number you come up with using their method.

BTW, your plant looks fine, and it's not uncommon for them not to grow for a little while at that size. I suspect they're putting a lot of energy into putting out their root system.

YouTube

Hey Noradd -- Have a look at the first two links in my sig file for my misadventures in growing Dwarf Low Flyer. It's a fun little plant.

To check your soil pH, you could make a soil slurry like in this Hanna Instruments video. (You probably don't have a magnetic stirrer, but do the best you can. ;)) I'd be curious to see what pH number you come up with using their method.

BTW, your plant looks fine, and it's not uncommon for them not to grow for a little while at that size. I suspect they're putting a lot of energy into putting out their root system.

YouTube

I did check those out. Got a kick out of the 'disguise' for the one you had on your deck!
I don't have a PH pen, do you think that this method would work if I prepared the slurry, filtered it somehow, like through an unbleached coffee filter, and then used a clean vial with my PH drops?

Dont worry about your ph just yet. How much are you watering? If the soil is waterlogged your seedling wont grow well at all. I say this because youve watered to run off. Dont water again until the soil has dried out. What soil are you using?

Since it is an autoflower, I have it in a 3 gallon fabric pot from seed. I've realized the pot hasn't lost much weight since I watered it the first time, so I've only watered the once, other than misting the actual plant itself with a spray bottle. I'm using some locally made "starter mix" that has peat, vermiculite, and perlite in it. Since starting this thread, I've begun kind of digging around the outside of the pot where there are no roots (hopefully) in an attempt to get it to dry out faster, and removing soil from those areas and adding even more perlite to increase drainage in these areas in the future.

I've noticed that closer to the plant, in the middle of the pot, the soil is pretty compact and no longer fluffy, but I don't want to go digging around in there in case I mangle up the roots. Is there a way to fix that, or do I just need to let it do it's thing?

EDIT: I went digging in there and mangled up the roots, but not too bad, she should be alright.

Since it is an autoflower, I have it in a 3 gallon fabric pot from seed. I've realized the pot hasn't lost much weight since I watered it the first time, so I've only watered the once, other than misting the actual plant itself with a spray bottle. I'm using some locally made "starter mix" that has peat, vermiculite, and perlite in it. Since starting this thread, I've begun kind of digging around the outside of the pot where there are no roots (hopefully) in an attempt to get it to dry out faster, and removing soil from those areas and adding even more perlite to increase drainage in these areas in the future.

I've noticed that closer to the plant, in the middle of the pot, the soil is pretty compact and no longer fluffy, but I don't want to go digging around in there in case I mangle up the roots. Is there a way to fix that, or do I just need to let it do it's thing?

Pretty sure that's the root system that's why it's denser

Just leave it be. It will dey out eventually. Dont spray it or water it at all until its dried out. In futute you knky need a smaĺl amount of water to start your seedling, like 50ml around the seedling is enough. Allow it to dry then water. Maybe you should try growing in coco coir next time, you cant overwater and its hydro so you will get faster gròwth than soil and have more weed in a like for like setup. If you would like to learn about growing in coco check out my journals. I will put 2 links here for you to browse. The first is to show specifically how to grow in coco and the 2nd is just general grows but you will pic up a lot of useful tips in these journals.

Peace

How to grow in Coco - Feed schedule

Cultivator's Return - Multiple Grows

Actually what light ate you going to flower under? Just put that on now and that will help dry the soil out faster. I start seedlings under 600w hps all the time. If you have a stronger hps light it will help dry the soil out faster. I wouldnt even waste moneybon a 150hps, its use less really. You could go straight to 400w-600w hps and as soon as first set of leaves open it will take off. If you really want to use a less intense light for seedlings go with a 250w cfl 6400k spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom