Seed came up on top of the soil

187Blacka

Hello guys, so i germinated a seed and it cracked around 24h then i planted it (i think to shallow) and the next day i saw the seed on top of the soil (not sprout, just laying there). I planted it again, this time a little deeper. Can it survive? Why did it came on top of the soil?

With out a picture its hard to say. Was tbeir a tail on the seed? Its unlikely had a tail on it after 24hours. The more you touch amd move it the less likely it is to germinate though.

Try using the paper towel method to germ seeds in future. Ive done thousands and thousands of seeds this with method and works perfect everytime.

Have a look at my current journal where i show germinating seeds.

Cultivator's Return - Multiple Grows

There are lots pictures and some videos to help.

Good luck.

I waterd the soil before planting it, anyway you are right only time will tell. I just don't get how did it moved.

I do this every time, once i see the tap root trough the crack i plant it and i never had 1 seed fail to sprout so the half an inch its just a myth imo.

Mate i have grown 10's of thousands of plants, if i had to guess i'd say 30k+ and maybe half of that amount from seed. If i put seeds on the ground some will germinate but a lot more will die. Based on how you describe what you are doing im guessing you havent grown a lot of plants. If you do 100 plants the way you describe you will probs lose around 10-15% of the seeds which is unacceptable, 1 is not acceptable but sometimes theres a dud seed.

Allowing 1/2inch to an inch on tap root isnt a myth mate, its sound advice. It means you can transplant much easier and get 100% success from any germinated seed. Yes you dont have to do this but it will give you better results. Theres no need to be in a hurry to pot the seed because it wont grow any faster, tgere for its better to allow the first part of growth to happen in the paper towel. I would put pips in the paper towels and not check them for 72hours. At this point they will be perfect for transplanting and may have shed their shell also.

You have to do what you prefer to do but it sounds like you have just lost a seed, this wouldnt have happened if the tail was longer.

Anyway best od luck.

I was not asking for germination adivece, i don't see how letting the tap root grow longer would affect the fact that the seed ended on top of the medium for no known reason.

SWAG (ScientificWildAssGuess)

It could be that the tap root was growing longer and it hit something hard in the soil. Say like a piece of bark. Trying to push through that caused the seed to lift out of the soil?

Back
Top Bottom