First planned reveg - Have a monster plant - Help

Pinktiger777

This is my third grow.
I grow indoors in a Gorilla tent. My equipment:

• Gorilla Grow Tent LTGGT22 Tent, 2' x 2.5' x 5'7"
  • 2 of these: VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower
  • VIPARSPECTRA
  • Viagrow Complete 2 ft. x 2 Ft. Ebb & Flow Hydroponics System
    VIVOSUN 440 CFM 6" Inline Duct Fan with 6" Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal
  • General Hydroponics nutrients
My first grow was, as probably most are, less than great. I accidentally screwed up my light cycle during flowering, and I got an accidental reveg. I switched back to 12/12, but my harvest was small and less than spectacular. My second grow was better. I started from good seed - Ma
zali Grape from Seedsman - they are a mostly indica strain.
After the harvest, I decided to try revegging these rather than start again from seed, because I like this variety.
My questions that I need help with?
1. How do I, or do I trim this back before it busts out of the tent?
2. Advice from experienced growers?

Thanks!

startpic.jpg
fulltent1.jpg
closeup73.jpg

I apologize for my photo quality. I'm having issues with my camera.

Let me tell you a little bit more about my grow.
I live in a place where growing is not legal. In fact, cannabis is totally illegal. I was ordering my weed online from a site I trusted, but it was costing me a lot. I use an ounce a month, both medicinally and recreationally. For what I was spending in three months, I could have a tent, etc., and i convinced my spouse that I could do this cheaper and maybe safer, without ordering and getting it through the mail.
I was right. I have now completed two grows, and on my third.
This grow is a reveg. I really liked the plants I had, so when the harvest was over, I changed the water, added hydroton around the 6 inch rockwool cubes the plants were grown in, and put the light schedule on 24/7.
I ran Florakleen through the system for several hours, then added root innoculant and the nutients, and adjusted PH.
My initial plan was to let the plants veg for 45 days and to flower for 45 days, and see if they were ready for harvesting. I was going by a guide I found on the Internet.
I had three plants. But the one in the upper lefthand corner began to explode, while the other two have only shown moderate growth. What you see in the picture above is mainly, one large plant. After 30 days, I put the tent on flowering mode, draining the water, using Florakleen, etc, and the nutes for flowering. They have been at 12/12 since Nov. 15. That is 10 days. Wow.

Some of the leaves are smashed up against the tent, and I have to defoliate.
What I was hoping for is that experienced growers would comment and tell me how to make more room for the buds that are now forming.
Should I sacrifice the front branches that are smashed up against the tent?
Or should I make room by getting rid of some of the fan leaves? Help????

After I added the hydroton around the rock wool cubes, the humidity dropped. I also noted that the temperature is lower. So now I have 68 degrees F. air most of the time, and 35-45 humidity.
I also have a CO2 bag on top of the reservoir, in front of the intake fan.

They need at least 18 hours of light to be able to revegetate. Also they need time to do it, it will happen eventually, but takes a little until you see new shoots growing. Some vegetative food will also help, anything that contains nitrogen in a higher dose.

I personally leave a lot less growth, cause it will bush out and you'll have to do a lot of trimming and I don't really have so much patience for it. You will want to avoid the overcrowding, and either cut down some of the shoots if they look too bushy, or keep only a girl in there and maybe take clones.

Here's how new growth will start looking when it will start shooting out of the buds.
19032014820.jpg

Either way they look like they just need some time and some love.:Namaste:

This afternoon I'm going to trim away some of the growth, and will upload more pics.

It's kind of a good problem to have. You're going to need to prune a lot of branches off. Look at your thickest branches, then look at the thinnest, and try to take as many of the thinnest off. Anything that's below 3-5mm in diameter is something you should take off. Also take off any branches that look like they will be growing INTO a bigger branch, that way you keep the plant from fighting for light with itself. Do what you can to leave yourself with as many of your largest branches, and clear out the small up to the intermediate until you can stand back from the plant a few feet and see through the branches and leaves. This will ensure air flow and light penetration.

When you prune off your branches, make sure to save some for clones. They keep pretty well just stuck in a glass of water if you don't have cloning supplies immediately ready.

Hi pinkfinger I have done a few revegs. Typically I would start with an inside winter grow, then trim it back and plant it outside in the spring. They would grow like a bush :)

Ive attached a pic showing where I would cut them (see the red box) based on your first picture Something perhaps useful for next time....

startpic1.jpg

So you cut it back that much? I can't grow outside because I live in town. But should I cut it back that much for an inside grow? Thanks!

So you cut it back that much? I can’t grow outside because I live in town. But should I cut it back that much for an inside grow? Thanks!

Like in the last pic? No, you'd be sacrificing too many branches.

The key is that you want your canopy to have proper air and light penetration. So if you can stand a few feet back at it, and look at the canopy, and you can't see through it, then odds air can't get through, and you know light can't because everything in the middle is dark.

So you have to cut branches off, but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot and cost any weed, so it's hard to know what to sacrifice and what to leave on there because as beginners we think, "Well the more it can grow the better," but it's not always the case. Those little tiny spindly branches will mostly produce little fluffy nugs and will just rob resources from your larger branches. So in reality, the fluffy and airy little buds you lose by cutting those branches, just frees up more resources to grow your larger colas on big branches and so it's more than made up for.

Indoor growers need to be slightly more conservative than outdoor growers because our plants will not grow as many large branches. In fact, I'm use to doing this in an outdoor setting, but indoors you wouldn't want to cut large branches at all, but rather train them out of the way of each other so they don't compete and you don't lose any weed. I worked on a outdoor recreational farm and they told us to just prune until each plant had 12-24 large branches, so there were more than enough to just lop off a large branch if it grew into another--not to mention they had a thousand plants. As an indoor grower, you'll probably be looking at like 12 tops total for a while until you're a little more advanced at training, so you don't want to cut any of them but rather bend and tie them out of the way.

Hope that makes sense.

So you cut it back that much? I can't grow outside because I live in town. But should I cut it back that much for an inside grow? Thanks!

Yes I cut it back that much. I end up with a few 4 to 6 inch branches with 1 or 2 leaves per branch. That was enough to keep it alive until the new growth kicked in. In your case a lot of the bottom was trimmed off, but if you plan to reveg you could leave some of that next time. Call it super duper topping :) Ive also done a reveg like this and kept them indoors.

I swear you cant kill these plants.....next time I'm going to leave a few branches with no leaves. I bet it will sprout new leaves. There is a special term for plants that will survive a super crop - trees, hedges, and cannabis.

Good luck with your grow ...

I was unsure the first time and did a test run as described not caring if it survived. It works very well and Ive done this now a half dozen times or more.

I can say it will work well for an inside reveg and certainly helps with height management.

I'm not suggesting you do this now though, because they are already back in flower.

Thanks for your reply. The reason that I left them long, it's because I had never done this before and didn't know if it would work. Next time I will know better. The strange thing is that two of the plants didn't take off pride away but the one in the upper left-hand corner went crazy and took over the whole tent. The other plants didn't have a chance. But I've

Sorry got cut off. What I was trying to say is next time those other two plants I'm going to re-vegan little bit and help with the other one won't take over I'm going to cut it back a little further.

Back
Top Bottom